Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Stevenson beach

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
railgrab

Since 29 Mar 2005
177 Posts
Seattle, WA
Stoked

PostTue May 16, 06 6:53 pm    Stevenson beach Reply with quote

I read a blurb in the Kiteboarder that Stevenson will be seeding the kite launch with a new beach? Anybody know more details about this?

Ethan

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue May 16, 06 8:39 pm     Reply with quote

I remember hearing something like that over a year ago, and that they were interested in making it more appealing to kiters. The new bathroom and kite piercing pylons are the only changes I have seen though.

Sure would be sweet if there was some sand down there, I wonder how they'd keep it there though.

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostTue May 16, 06 9:08 pm     Reply with quote

Rumour has it that the old Stevenson Coply wood mill it going to be taken over by slingshot. They are going to make a kiter beach.... (before town, closer to the bridge of the gods)
~M

www.naishkites.com

kiteboard117

Since 02 Mar 2005
450 Posts
PDX
McLovin

PostTue May 16, 06 9:11 pm     Reply with quote

i was thinking a thick rubber mat or a little flat floating peir could cover up those rocks. just about destroyed my feet launching last weekend.

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostTue May 16, 06 9:17 pm     Reply with quote

Yea Tucker, a rubber mat would be awesome! Just don't want slippery, water-based plant species growing all over it!

importracer9 99

Since 27 Oct 2005
296 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed May 17, 06 12:01 am     Reply with quote

wind is good

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the
retired kiter & motorhead Unicorn Master

PostTue May 30, 06 11:24 am     Reply with quote

It would be an incredible challange to create a beach at Stevenson. You would need some kind of inwater gabion to create a backwater for the sand to remain there. Down river may be a different story. There are some "beaches" farther west.

You will also need the folowing permits to do any work in the Columbia River...
1. A section 401 permit from the Corps of engineers
2. A section 404 permit from the washington department of ecology
3. An HPA permit from the washington department of fish and wildlife
4. A shoreline of the state permit from department of ecology (received from the city of stevenson).
5. Crtical areas permit from the city of stevenson
6. And an approved biological assesment reviewed by national marine fisheries and U.S. Fish and wildlife service.

Fun huh? Your realistically looking at a year to recieve the appropriate permits. Since I work as an environmental consultant and doing said reports and applying for the permits is what I do, I would be more than happy to provide my services pro-bono or at a very reduced rate.

So if SS or anyone else is planning on doing something, have them give me a call.

Brian Bieger
The Resource Company,Inc.
360-693-4555

Cheers!!

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
Naishaholic

PostTue May 30, 06 12:41 pm     Reply with quote

pdxmonkeyboy wrote:
It would be an incredible challange to create a beach at Stevenson. You would need some kind of inwater gabion to create a backwater for the sand to remain there. Down river may be a different story. There are some "beaches" farther west.

You will also need the folowing permits to do any work in the Columbia River...
1. A section 401 permit from the Corps of engineers
2. A section 404 permit from the washington department of ecology
3. An HPA permit from the washington department of fish and wildlife
4. A shoreline of the state permit from department of ecology (received from the city of stevenson).
5. Crtical areas permit from the city of stevenson
6. And an approved biological assesment reviewed by national marine fisheries and U.S. Fish and wildlife service.

Fun huh? Your realistically looking at a year to recieve the appropriate permits. Since I work as an environmental consultant and doing said reports and applying for the permits is what I do, I would be more than happy to provide my services pro-bono or at a very reduced rate.

So if SS or anyone else is planning on doing something, have them give me a call.

Brian Bieger
The Resource Company,Inc.
360-693-4555

Cheers!!

Brian, word is that Slingshot is taking over the old Stevenson coply wood mill site. You should contact them and offer your services!
Thumb's Up

www.naishkites.com

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the

PostTue May 30, 06 3:01 pm     Reply with quote

Is there someone I should talk to over there?

I really don't feel like cold calling someone.....

Thanks,
Brian

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
Naishaholic

PostTue May 30, 06 3:48 pm     Reply with quote

I put in a call to Slingy. The contact name is:
John Ratchye
509-493-3979

Slingshot Sports
65435 HWY 14
White Salmon, WA 98672
United States

Good luck and thanks for helping! Thumb's Up
Mark

www.naishkites.com

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostTue May 30, 06 4:05 pm     Reply with quote

Spoke with a kiteboarder at Stevenson that works for the port (I think it was Keith Chamberlain - Operations & Facilities Manager) he said things got put on hold because the sand would disrupt potential salmon habitat.

I told him I never once saw a salmon launching at Stevenson. You might be more persausive.

http://portofskamania.org/staff.htm

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the

PostTue May 30, 06 4:26 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the contact info Mark. I sent an e-mail to "general info" but I'll give your guy a call.

It is quite a bit more complicated than the sand degrading salmon habitat but I do get the drift of what your saying.

I HIGHLY doubt the salmon are laying eggs in the launch rocks at stevenson as they are the wrong size, so that is a plus. But, since the Columbia is verified habitat for ESA fish, and a naviagable water of the state, basically everyone and there brother has to review what you are proposing.

Interfluve, Inc. out of Hood River is really the people to talk to about how to get and keep sand on the beach. They have hyrdo-geomorphologists and the like that can estimate flow rates, current patterns, sheer stress, all the cool stuff. Anyone know people over there?

IF, and it is a big if, there is someway to convince the COE that the beach is part of a salmon habitat restoration plan, then permiting would be way streamlined. But, I just don't see how you could spin it.

Anywho, I'm prattling on and on I'll give them a call and see what the story is.

Smile

Ryan

Since 14 Jul 2005
536 Posts
Oregon
Addicted

PostThu Jun 01, 06 7:22 am     Reply with quote

monkeyboy,

I work for a consulting firm here in pdx and would offer my services as well to the new launch cause. I mostly do stormwater analysis and design but have experience in stream and river modeling. I expect most of the work will be permiting and getting the proposal in the right hands and working to get them to review it. however, perhaps i can help you and put together a small team along with SS staff to get this going. I do know SS has some local help from the Stevenson Port so thats a plus to have local support.

anyhow, PM me if you want to discuss.

cheers,

ryan

pdxmonkeyboy

Since 16 May 2006
6081 Posts
forever labled as the

PostThu Jun 01, 06 8:43 am     Reply with quote

I've traded e-mails with the slingshot owner. We are going to get together and talk over possiblities once they move out to Stevenson. They apprantly have the support of the port but from a permitting standpoint, the City of Stevenson wil likely have the decision to hand us the red tape or not.

Stay tuned and in the mean time, toughen up your feet for the existing launch Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: