Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Any backroll-kiteloop pain avoidance tips?
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
kenja

Since 19 Jun 2008
179 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Aug 10, 09 5:07 pm    Any backroll-kiteloop pain avoidance tips? Reply with quote

Working on the backroll kiteloop... Tried one today and got yarded...bad.... Anyone have any tips? I basically put both hands on the back-hand side and went into a normal low-altitude backroll while pulling hard. I ended up doing a 10ft high, double backroll kiteloop with a backwards, superman-style, head-first landing. I apparently rotated too hard on takeoff. Any advice other than not to rotate as aggressively?

tonyb

Since 09 Oct 2006
973 Posts
Stevenson in the summer & SPI in the winter
Bolstad Clan

PostMon Aug 10, 09 5:41 pm     Reply with quote

I'm still trying to figure out how to do them Wally style without killing myself but I think I have the baby style initial one down. I've had pretty good luck with really concentrating on stalling out the backroll while I'm looking straight upwind, try to delay the loop, then pin the bar and it snaps you around. If you're rotating fast and pull the bar early you'll over do it and come in on your ribs.

Come in with medium speed, kite near 10:30 or 11:00. Start by going for a 1 foot off the water backroll and exaggerate pointing the board straight into the wind before pulling on the bar. Then snap your head around and look straight down wind - don't look across the wind in the direction you were going before you started trying to hurt yourself - you'll over rotate if you do. Add height and pop as you gain confidence and start pulling on the bar a little sooner.

An impact vest makes the learning process a little less painful. I've also had better luck learning on 12m and 14m days than on 8m days as things happen just a bit slower.

Tony

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostMon Aug 10, 09 6:17 pm     Reply with quote

Like previously stated when trying kiteloops or any new trick you are going to fall, no one is going to be able to give you the magical hint that is gonna take the pain out of learning new stuff. But sounds to me like you are popping to early wait for the kite to be initiating the loop before you start your backroll. That way its not gonna yank you as bad. But the best advice I could give is to just screw kiteloops, slap on some binders and learn some back to blinds!!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jonnY!

Since 25 May 2008
15 Posts
Seattle

PostTue Aug 11, 09 6:53 am    Try this, worked for me! Reply with quote

UNHOOKED

get a bit of speed, slow down (go downwind) UNHOOK
then crank upwind and slowing pull on one side of the bar, starting your backroll
the kite SHOULD loop and you get only a little pull (if the bar is in close to you NOT at arms length), watch the kite all the time and pull off your roll. The kite should be going up at the end of your roll and probably starting another slow loop up high.

HOOKED

slow or fast it doesnt matter. Crank away from your kite and with ONE hand pull on the side of the bar you want to loop. Start your backroll and Look straight away for the kite (then you wont lose your balance) DONT look at the sea, the bar, your board, LOOK FOR THE KITE over your shoulder, as it pulls you around (quite sharply), let a hand go off the bar and aim to land down wind with the kite, dont stretch out for the sea or you risk landing all fucked up and it hurts your legs. Stay abit compact to start with.

Let the kite pull you around
Look for the kite at the start of the back roll, you will go around faster.
Let one hand go and spot your landing without reaching for the sea.

Commit Commit Commit!

j

Since 08 Nov 2006
94 Posts
Seattle

PostTue Aug 11, 09 7:16 am     Reply with quote

Don't start with mid altitude backrolls, they slam you down pretty hard, either go low altitude or commit to big loops. If you go big use shorter lines, that will help get the kite back up faster to catch your fall.

Either way don't rotate like you would for a normal backroll, the kite will pull you around, you've felt that now, you only have to rotate half way then let the kite pull you the rest of the way around.

Learning them underpowered is easier as well.

Bettyboarder

Since 18 Mar 2005
1823 Posts
PDX/ White Salmon
Mrs. Site Lackey

PostTue Aug 11, 09 9:10 am     Reply with quote

This is a great post...I have been trying to do these for a while and each time I end up getting my butt kicked. I am going to try your tips thanks!!

kenja

Since 19 Jun 2008
179 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Aug 11, 09 9:31 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the great advice. I'll give it another go with the refined technique.

How hard should you pull with the back hand once you initiate the kite loop? The harder the better? For downloop transitions, that seems to reduce the jerk and keep the kite high in the window.

Chooch

Since 18 Nov 2007
1871 Posts
Wicked Pissah
Boston Tea Bagger

PostTue Aug 11, 09 9:40 am     Reply with quote

The harder the better until you get them dialed. Then you can slow them down to give em a bit more style.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1804 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostTue Aug 11, 09 9:42 am     Reply with quote

<<Either way don't rotate like you would for a normal backroll, the kite will pull you around, you've felt that now, you only have to rotate half way then let the kite pull you the rest of the way around.>>

Sage advice above. Do a smallish jump, rotate 180 with a bit of a stall at the apex, then pull hard. The kite will do the rest.

Eric

Intrepidquest

Since 09 May 2008
31 Posts
HoodRiver

PostTue Aug 11, 09 4:13 pm     Reply with quote

Don't Hesitate!!!

Bailey

Since 13 Apr 2008
87 Posts

PostTue Aug 11, 09 7:05 pm     Reply with quote

Start by learning backroll transitions and backroll kite loops will become very easy just pull a little harder as you spot your landing, the key is to slow your forward momentum before you initiate, and do it under powered.

stringer

Since 31 Jul 2007
694 Posts
Chucktown
Flying Tomato

PostWed Aug 12, 09 12:17 am     Reply with quote

Don't do it like this

If you do decide to do it like that,
make sure you do it in front of a peanut gallery so we can all watch the carny! Wink
Kiteloop explosions are the most fun to watch!

railgrab

Since 29 Mar 2005
177 Posts
Seattle, WA
Stoked

PostWed Aug 12, 09 3:06 pm     Reply with quote

stringer wrote:

If you do decide to do it like that,
make sure you do it in front of a peanut gallery so we can all watch the carny! Wink
Kiteloop explosions are the most fun to watch!

Like this!.... (this ought to confuse a few people)

Ethan

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Aug 12, 09 5:46 pm     Reply with quote

Like Bertrand in the Gorge games in 05???

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostWed Aug 12, 09 6:06 pm     Reply with quote

forrest

Since 21 Jun 2005
4329 Posts
Hood River
Hick

CGKA Member

PostWed Aug 12, 09 8:35 pm     Reply with quote

Adam, if kiters did kiteloops like that AND rode away from them on a regular basis... Well shit, I don't even know what to say, that's just KNAR.

jahmbi

Since 28 Jul 2005
622 Posts
MORE HUMAN THAN HUMAN
River Troll

PostWed Aug 12, 09 11:12 pm     Reply with quote

HERE IS A FUCKING TIP NO PAIN NO GAIN .....TROLL

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: