Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Kauai Kite Spots - Suggestions?
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Stagecoach

Since 07 May 2009
79 Posts

PostMon Jul 20, 09 8:45 pm    Kauai Kite Spots - Suggestions? Reply with quote

I'm thinking about going to Kauai in early December and am looking for a good spot to stay with the non-kiting girlfriend but access to a good kite launch. Suggestions for the beach and/or hotel/condo would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Navanod

Since 20 Feb 2007
207 Posts
Beaverton
Stoked

PostMon Jul 20, 09 9:09 pm     Reply with quote

Are you looking for flat water or some good wave action?

Tunnels (North) is the spot if your into serious wave action... Crecent Moon reef with some serious big surf.

Anini also on the north is ok.... side shore winds with flat water

Fuji beach in Kapa'a is on the east side with more on shore winds. Watch the tide as the reef will be your worst enemy!

Dont kite Kealia (accross from the cemetery) . Surfers only.

This time of the year I would stay on the North Side of the island! Talk about paradise!!!

For fun, check out Queens Bath... fun place to swim at low tide.

We go there every year and love it!

arkay

Since 06 Jun 2008
192 Posts
Manzo/Hillsburrito
Stoked

PostTue Jul 21, 09 12:22 am     Reply with quote

Stay on the north side. Really anywhere from wailua to hanalei. Anini is a _huge_ flat water; pretty impressive. Tunnles also has some fantastic snorkeling and hiking.

soona

Since 27 Sep 2009
72 Posts

PostSun Sep 27, 09 7:49 am     Reply with quote

I'm thinking of going the first week of January. Is that a god time for wind?

derek

Since 13 Aug 2009
29 Posts

PostSun Sep 27, 09 5:31 pm    Kauai vacation. Reply with quote

Aloha Jeff, my name is Derek I live right by tunnells and Y-camp and kite everyday. Conditions rock all year round. You might try the Hanalei Colony Resort just down the street. Great location, only the rooms don't have TV's or phones in them. kinda quiet...808-651-1608

tautologies

Since 24 Aug 2006
602 Posts
Oahu
Addicted

PostMon Sep 28, 09 1:16 am    Re: Kauai vacation. Reply with quote

derek wrote:
Aloha Jeff, my name is Derek I live right by tunnells and Y-camp and kite everyday. Conditions rock all year round. You might try the Hanalei Colony Resort just down the street. Great location, only the rooms don't have TV's or phones in them. kinda quiet...808-651-1608

Hey, what is the close out size at Tunnels?

We had 16 faces on Mokuleia this weekend, and the waves were still good. How does that work for Tunnels? I was there a few weeks ago, and it was good. Really windy. What break is the actual tunnels break? I know it seems people were launching a little upwind, and then going down to the middle of the bay...the wind shadow was huge tho...

To the initial poster, January might get HUGE winter swell, so make you sure you pay really good attention to how the conditions are before you go out. Some places might be like a washing machine...it is really like riding in a river. It is all fun until you drop your kite, and then you are in trouble very fast. I dunno your level so I will not assume anything, just sayin' Wink

I dunno the spots on Kauai in the winter so I can't say, but just make sure you watch it before you go out.

moks25Sept2009 421.JPG 

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostMon Sep 28, 09 2:07 pm     Reply with quote

Sick photo

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

tautologies

Since 24 Aug 2006
602 Posts
Oahu
Addicted

PostTue Sep 29, 09 3:01 am     Reply with quote

Gman wrote:
Sick photo

hehe we got an early big winter swell. This season will be so good. South Shore has been going off...now winter came early. We had a lot of fun on Oahu this weekend for sure. Just wondering how that looked on Kauai. Smile

moks25Sept2009 279-1.JPG 
   moks25Sept2009 416.JPG 
   moks25Sept2009 278.JPG 

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostTue Sep 29, 09 8:25 am     Reply with quote

Ohhh YAH!! Nice A!! More pictures and beta on the swell please!! Thumb's Up

tautologies wrote:
hehe we got an early big winter swell...

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostTue Sep 29, 09 8:48 am     Reply with quote

holy crap! you are in shorts Laughing

Sweet mega slab (what was the swell and period that day?) was that the remnants of the Asian typhoon

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

tautologies

Since 24 Aug 2006
602 Posts
Oahu
Addicted

PostTue Sep 29, 09 7:01 pm     Reply with quote

sorry about the shorts.

Swell was fun, after all the south swells this season North Shore opened first week of Sept. This swell tho wasn't the usual small opening. North went off. My buddy went towing in in the morning, and then calls me about it...I throw my stuff in the car and go visit moks...

Only a few guys out. So much fun, it didn't close out. I'm sure we had 16 ft faces. The bigger set was a little further in between...but just going over those things on the way out...you'll get air born coming off the top.

Anyways, the set were pretty good size. The last pic you can see the how the waves look in deep water. I mean the waves on the North Shore are so much more powerful...the lip pitches so hard, lucky for me I didn't get caught in the bigger sets. There are so much more energy in those waves...I can do better at staying in the critical sections, but there the speed is pretty high when the waves are that big....it is actually pretty hard.

For the most part I rode the "smaller" sets tho...

Anyhow, I think will be a pretty epic season. Smile

ok that is enough self promotion...feel like an idiot for posting pics of myself..

jumping white water..the angle doesn't do the size any justice...
 jumping white water..the angle doesn't do the size any justice...  moks25Sept2009 371.JPG 
....right before it pitches..
 ....right before it pitches..  moks25Sept2009 333.JPG 
   moks25Sept2009 251.JPG 

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostFri Oct 02, 09 7:47 am     Reply with quote

Time to get over it A! We have abruptly entered the fall in the PNW and will be in need of daily warm water kitesurf pictures.

How about you start a daily Island picture thread? Kinda like Rico did last winter… Arrow http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-10579.html

tautologies wrote:
ok that is enough self promotion...feel like an idiot for posting pics of myself..

tautologies

Since 24 Aug 2006
602 Posts
Oahu
Addicted

PostSun Oct 04, 09 1:12 pm     Reply with quote

ha, well I rarely bring the cam. I have a few session I would like to take pics from...we'll see..but I can't post every day..we don't have that much wind Smile

KiteSurfing Lessons Kauai

Since 10 Apr 2014
1 Posts

PostThu Apr 10, 14 9:23 pm    Kite Surf Kauai Reply with quote

Aloha This Is Kite Surf Kauai When You come out to kauai for Getting Kite Surfing Lessons or just want to know all the best local spots and how to stay safe it's a good idea to rent a guide for the day, please visit our website at kite surf kauai at
ridemothernature.wix.com/kitesurfkauai
or give us a call and leave a message at 909 547 4084
Mahalo and Aloha

barfly

Since 31 Mar 2005
1210 Posts
Seaside
BRACKISH

PostSun Apr 13, 14 9:20 pm     Reply with quote

Nice tautologies!!! Blew the lid off this thread!!

Kraemer

Since 24 Apr 2006
1735 Posts
Sky Pilot
Unicorn Captain

PostFri Nov 14, 14 1:53 pm     Reply with quote

Hey Peeps-- Headed to Kauai in Jan. Wonder if Tunnels is the 7th wonder of the world-- or should I make plans to visit Maui too? ??

Scriffler

Since 03 Jul 2005
581 Posts
LYLE
Addicted

PostFri Nov 14, 14 7:40 pm     Reply with quote

Really fickle compared to Maui. If you are looking to ride all day everyday, it doesn't compare. The wind can go offshore with no warning,so pay attention to conditions closely. Careful with cameras, beach goers and surfers. Trades can disappear for a whole month. Really fun if you score though, and plenty else to do, cashed up or not.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: