Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Kauai Kite Spots - Suggestions?
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
wood

Since 21 Jan 2013
64 Posts

PostSat Nov 15, 14 9:07 am     Reply with quote

Been going to Kauai for years in the winter. The wind is very light in less you can get a front pushing in. Kite size 10-14. Normally if I am there 30days I might get 10days kiting at best. Good Luck.

KOF

Since 30 Mar 2011
51 Posts
Seattle

PostTue Nov 18, 14 10:36 am     Reply with quote

Kauai has amazing kite spots and I've found if you are willing to drive you should be able to ride about 50-60% of your days there. There are a number of awesome spots including tunnels, anini, baby beach, lydgate park, waimea river mouth and many "secret spots" on the South and West of the island that go when the trades aren't happening. Except for tunnels and SW beaches most of the launches are really tight and that you should be comfortable self-launching and landing in areas without much room for error. You also may be the only kiter on the beach when the wind is up, especially if you go to ride S or W winds out near barking sands (you can get good thermal winds here). I love Kauai and when it is on it has much better kiting than Maui (I like uncrowded 12m stuff for freestyle).

Also most spots except for 1 mi south of Lydgate and some river mouths are extremely tide dependent and are super sketchy if not un-rideable on a surfboard at low tide. Also be sure to wear booties as the reef will shred your feet when launching landing at a number of spots. Most of the locals I've met there have one kite, a 12m. 9M days are rare unless a cold front moves through. Note that Tunnels in the winter can be super sketchy and powerful. No joke that place when it is big is super gnarly and not to be taken lightly. Last week there were 30 foot faces one day and current behind the reef for the week was running at about 8 knots.

Also, there are a number of beaches (mainly those with lifeguard towers) where kiting isn't condoned. IE poipu, kaelia beach, etc.

Most importantly, be cool. If locals are there you should launch their kites before you launch yours. Help out and don't be an aggro tourist douche. Bring a six pack of beers to share and you will find fast friends for the rest of your trip. Otherwise, you will get no love.

wood

Since 21 Jan 2013
64 Posts

PostMon Oct 12, 15 8:30 am     Reply with quote

bump

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Oct 12, 15 10:43 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for the bump

wood

Since 21 Jan 2013
64 Posts

PostFri Mar 04, 16 3:49 pm     Reply with quote

BUMP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: