Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

custom boards????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
brokenlizard

Since 03 Aug 2005
88 Posts
Running around the pool with scissors.

PostTue May 02, 06 5:49 pm    custom boards???? Reply with quote

I have noticed a few people here ride custom boards. ie. the Hein. My question is are they that much better than a good production board? What are the differences, and how much do they typically cost.

mikes

Since 13 Mar 2005
90 Posts
B'Ham

PostTue May 02, 06 6:08 pm     Reply with quote

Well you can get a board made for your style of riding, your conditions, a slick paint job sometimes too. Basically if a production pop out boards don't do it for you you can get whatever you want in a board from a skilled custom builder. If you find a production does it all for you then there you go, there are really good production boards nowadays. Oh yea, customs are usually more $$ than a pop out.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed May 03, 06 6:39 am     Reply with quote

Hein's boards are thinner than any production board I have ever seen, and not by a small margin either... they are really really thin. Thin seems to have some efficiency advantages, and of course its lighter.

He has a unique bottom shape that you couldn't get from any production board.

He also makes his own pads, which to me are much nicer than any production pads.

Other than that, it all comes down to taste. Some people think that there is a "magic" to custom boards. I'd say mostly that's a load of crock. What's magical is its something that was made just for you. If that makes you feel special and ride better, then cool, go custom!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: