Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

foot straps
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
bamboo

Since 24 Jun 2005
165 Posts
da 'chung; taiwan
Stoked

PostSun Apr 30, 06 1:22 am    foot straps Reply with quote

curious...anyone else out there have issues with keeping their feet in the foot straps. i have a somewhat narrow foot and am finding that my feet keep slipping out of the straps at just the wrong moment, like during back rolls or at high speeds. without having to do the full on boot style i've been thinking of cutting some old bike tubes and fastening them so i can slip them on as i get in the water.

anyone have an experience with such devices? or is there a pad/strap system that might work better? i'm currently using the slingshot pads/straps and i think they are too flat and might be contributing. thoughts?

Wyo Kiter

Since 09 Mar 2006
148 Posts
In a VAN, down by the RIVER.
Stoked

PostSun Apr 30, 06 6:52 am     Reply with quote

I had kid of the same problem. I had some elective surgery on my feet. I got Spd cleats installed that i use for kiting as well as biking. It was expensive, but works!

What vintage (year) Slingshot pads/straps are you using?

I like the 04 Adjustables, covers more area of the foot, somtimes on the 05 i crul my toes to much and get a sore foot. The long and short is this. You can pull some tubes and use as straps. They'll last a while but it will be a ongoing replacement process. Also there are nice bungee straps that you might find on old wakeboard binders, they last longer. Cons, Straps take a second or two to put on in the water and if you blow out of one you board becomes a knee thrashing machine.

I rode with said straps for about 1/2 of a season before i got annoyed with the cons. Now I ride with the stock SS straps, pads 04+05, I just got used to it. Really work you foot in there as you are starting up. use the rail of the board and the power of the kite to really get in there and tweek you foot angle to help lock it in.

Try other straps and pads till you find your bliss. A lot of peeps like DaKine straps and pads(lots to choose from). There are a lot of options to try before you try the surgery.

Are you wearing booties??? I think the SS binders work better with out booties.

Helping companys to innovate bricks-and-clicks supply-chains and orchestrate real-time content to deliver customized channels to scale strategic e-services and facilitate global e-markets which will incubate 24/7 niches and seize dot-com channels.

Last edited by Wyo Kiter on Sun Apr 30, 06 6:54 am; edited 1 time in total

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostSun Apr 30, 06 6:53 am    da kine Reply with quote

try the da kine foot beds with toe ridge ,you can use your toes to hang on.
Having something that straps you in can be a little dangerous if one foot comes out

bamboo

Since 24 Jun 2005
165 Posts
da 'chung; taiwan
Stoked

PostSun Apr 30, 06 7:54 am     Reply with quote

i've got an 05 board so i would assume that it would be their 05 pads/straps. although, i haven't seen much of a difference in the last couple of years.

i rode a test board last summer that seemed to have some after market pads that were raised in the heel about 5cm. they were perfect but i have no idea what they were....definitely not dakine though.

boardrider

Since 05 Apr 2006
1034 Posts
Ventura, CA
XTreme Poster

PostSun Apr 30, 06 8:03 am     Reply with quote

I have a narrow foot, and also had issues with the strap/pads on my '05 SX. I think your right - too wide and flat. I opened mine up, and narrowed the strap. That seemed to help, but I still had to kick the board away mid air many times. Forget use with boots. These issues were one of the reasons I sold the board.

dcrowe

Since 11 Oct 2005
265 Posts
hard to say, I was inverted
Obsessed

PostMon May 01, 06 8:18 am     Reply with quote

I have the same foot problem, super flat and always coming out of the board. I'm using 05 slingy footstraps and I do use the innertube heel straps. I don't use mt. bike tubes (too big) but tires from touring wheels. This way I can choose not to use them and just put my foot on them, or strap those babies in and feel the snuggness. I just tie them to my straps instead of screwing them in because I can adjust the tension by moving the knot around the strap. I've never had a problem with not being able to eject the board with this setup. Just don't make them too tight!

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon May 01, 06 8:32 am     Reply with quote

You guys should check out Hein's custom footbeds. He makes them himself out of his shop. They are a little spendy, but well worth it. Super comfy, and super easy to adjust. After getting used to them, everything else feels like clogs in comparison.

http://www.impact3d.com/HeinPlate06.jpg

Ryan

Since 14 Jul 2005
536 Posts
Oregon
Addicted

PostMon May 01, 06 9:40 am     Reply with quote

Yea, i have the same issues with 05 SS gear....MMMM i see a trend. I have no problem while i wear booties but as soon as i stop wearing booties i come out of the board often.

Ryan

Since 14 Jul 2005
536 Posts
Oregon
Addicted

PostMon May 01, 06 9:55 am     Reply with quote

Yea, i have the same issues with 05 SS gear....MMMM i see a trend. I have no problem while i wear booties but as soon as i stop wearing booties i come out of the board often.

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostMon May 01, 06 11:18 am     Reply with quote

footstraps are gay!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostMon May 01, 06 11:36 am     Reply with quote

Inept_Fun wrote:
footstraps are gay!

BINDINGS LOOK, AND ARE REALLY GAY! Here we go... Thumb's Up

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue May 02, 06 1:34 pm     Reply with quote

You can say bindings are gay, but why do all the kiters with good style ride bindings? Bindings are going to legitamize kiteboarding.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostTue May 02, 06 2:03 pm     Reply with quote

Nice try K23, Thumb's Up

Inept is and will always by attached to his board(s) through bindings &/or sex wax...

That’s it,,,, end of game, story, beer ( oh wait, Inept is too young to drink so scratch that)…

Anyway, where was I???

Oh yah, bindings. Guess that ya gota swing the other way to have good style these days??? Wink

Here we go again... Thumb's Up ~Nads for sure Cool

Inept,

What do you mean by this statement??
Inept_Fun wrote:
Bindings are going to legitamize kiteboarding.

Are you saying that wakeboarders, snowboarders and eventually the Sports Illustrated crowd will give kiteboarders some respect because they are riding bindings?

Just not following your thoughts here??

Please enlighten us ye young lad... Idea

PS Fox news 12 had coverage (with video footage) this morning of the PKRA event in Venezuela. They reported that a girl from Germany won & a guy from the UK. Now that’s legitimatization at work…

PPS What exactly do you mean by the word “gay” Ian?

Inept_Fun wrote:
footstraps are gay!

Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary:

Main Entry: 1gay
Pronunciation: 'gA
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French gai

1 a : happily excited : MERRY b : keenly alive and exuberant : having or inducing high spirits

2 a : BRIGHT, LIVELY <gay sunny meadows> b : brilliant in color

3 : given to social pleasures; also : LICENTIOUS

4 a : HOMOSEXUAL b : of, relating to, or used by homosexuals <the gay rights movement> <a gay bar>
synonym see LIVELY

- gay adverb
- gay•ness noun

Next???

Last edited by Onad on Tue May 02, 06 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostTue May 02, 06 2:30 pm     Reply with quote

Oh I see... Because you've got "good style," everyone that rides bindings has it! Surprised

Yardsale

Since 29 Mar 2005
387 Posts
Portlanastan
Obsessed

PostTue May 02, 06 2:52 pm     Reply with quote

Repeat after me, wakeboarding is not a sport, wakeboarding is not a sport...........and therefore (follow my logic here) bindings don't exist. Shocked

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostTue May 02, 06 3:00 pm     Reply with quote

See now, Ian, you've gone and disturbed the herd.

dcrowe

Since 11 Oct 2005
265 Posts
hard to say, I was inverted
Obsessed

PostTue May 02, 06 3:31 pm     Reply with quote

moo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: