Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

9 m Waroo Reviews

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
pacifichigh

Since 11 May 2005
1004 Posts
ATX
Texan

PostThu Apr 27, 06 6:08 pm    9 m Waroo Reviews Reply with quote

Anyone own or ridden a 9m waroo? I was pretty impressed with one up in HR today.

jdk

Since 21 Dec 2005
333 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Apr 27, 06 6:48 pm     Reply with quote

they seem to be cheaper than other bows that's for sure! MN riders are raving about light wind performance of bows. they get lots of 10mph days in twin cities area... fak am i glad i got out of there Very Happy

mikes

Since 13 Mar 2005
90 Posts
B'Ham

PostThu Apr 27, 06 10:52 pm     Reply with quote

No intent to hype here, I actually was one of the "I'll never buy a Best" types. These kites changed my mind and the sport for me, I've kited for 6 years, honestly for me these are the best kites since the X2. I can't say they are better than other flat kites though. I've tried the R6 and Torch II and to me there is no comparison

The first time I rode a Waroo was the 9m for two hours, awesome kite, hands down the best kite I've been on to get quickly comfortable with, barely any adjustment was needed for me. For my conditions I went for the 12m and 7m. The 7m is much like the 9m, just faster.

Summary review that IMO covers the 7m, 9m, & 12m. Compared to my Naish X2-3-4's and North Rhino's: the Waroo's allow you to ride way faster, handle gusts way better, turn when depowered really well, go upwind better, allow me to turn 180' on a wind wave over and over and stay on the same wave, ride toeside easier, kite loop easy or ass kicking, cover the range of 3 sizes in my old kites (W12=14-12-10, W7=9-8-6), allow a more comfortable balanced stance, way less leg burn. Water relaunch has been easy for me so far. Better float/glide on nowhip/unhooked stuff. Airs are awesome on the 7m when lit and going fast, the 9m jumped really well but I was only just figuring it out, the 12 jumps about as good as the X4

Neg's: self launch/land can be difficult if it's windier than stink (need an oh-shit handle to flag the kite, can invert (I haven't yet but one local has done it two or so times but always got it straightened). Some bar pressure but no worse than riding off the stopper on my old kites, my bar is like a SS TD bar so I have a stopper if I want one. Pigtails could be better color coded

All in all I'm stoked, these kites do what I've always wanted kites to do, they are damn fun. The 7m is going to be a great Gorge kite

Mike S

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostFri Apr 28, 06 5:59 am    uh huh Reply with quote

hard to beat those x-2's ,but will try

mikes

Since 13 Mar 2005
90 Posts
B'Ham

PostFri Apr 28, 06 6:52 am    Re: uh huh Reply with quote

blowhard wrote:
hard to beat those x-2's ,but will try

I agree but the W's are better all around IMO. Jumping is a little different, you gotta sheet in when you leave the water to get good airs. The yank off the water is more gradual and floaty, not the same vertical yank, the diff is more noticeable on the 12. On the W7 I've easily had my biggest airs ever and it rips you up there pretty hard too. Some locals have kept their X2 12's over the years as back up kites but haven't used them since getting Waroo's, the amount of wind you can handle is awesome

Mike

pauls

Since 20 Jun 2005
562 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

PostFri Apr 28, 06 7:05 am     Reply with quote

I've got one, haven't used it on the water yet on land in light wind it seems sweet - turns quickly and great depower. I think your the guy in the audi wagon with the chocolate lab? I have a blue previa, if you see me just ask and you can try the Waroo. I live in Vancouver, will be kiting mostly lower Columbia on the Wa side and Jones, easterlies at Rooster.
I have a 16m Waroo on it's way - hearing good and bad about the bigger Waroo so am glad i'll have 30 days to see if it works for me.

paul

pauls

Since 20 Jun 2005
562 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

PostWed May 03, 06 8:31 pm     Reply with quote

Hi Shay, got to ride my 9m Waroo on the water this evening and was amazed how well it worked. I'd been on my 16m C and wind seemed ok especially with all the current so i thought i'd give the Waroo a go. Worked great as long as i didn't oversheet it, quickly picked up speed and was more fun than the 16 C, the sheeting is awesome especially for a novice like me as i get overpowered really easily. Kite flew really fast, seemed like i was going a lot faster than on the bigger kite even though the wind wasn't very strong. Felt like i was standing on my board rather than riding it on an edge but without getting pulled off. On the down side i haven't got the relaunch figured out properly in light wind, i missed the 5th line. Eventually i couldn't get it back up and had to self rescue. I didn't like all the bridle lines which kept wrapping themselve round me and my harness when i was trying to get hold of the two tips. Pretty cool that the kite worked so well in tonights light wind, maybe it's because of the strong current.

J.P.

Since 10 Mar 2005
638 Posts

Addicted

PostMon May 08, 06 9:45 am    Re: 9 m Waroo Reviews Reply with quote

Quote:
Anyone own or ridden a 9m waroo? I was pretty impressed with one up in HR today.

Yup. In six years of kiting the 9m waroo is by far the best kite I've ever flown eclipsing all others by a very large margin.

JP

mikes

Since 13 Mar 2005
90 Posts
B'Ham

PostMon May 08, 06 1:47 pm    Re: 9 m Waroo Reviews Reply with quote

J.P. wrote:

Yup. In six years of kiting the 9m waroo is by far the best kite I've ever flown eclipsing all others by a very large margin.

JP

Same goes for the 7m for me....awesome kite

After you ride your 9m in some terrain we should brain storm on some better twin tip board to match up with these kites. If you just ride back and forth and jump, the standard twin tips are fine. The minute I start carving hard on waves (because you REALLY can) I want something else. Since the stance is more even, I pearl too easily. My yellow Jaime clone (you remember that one?) works but I've got to be careful.

fokiten

Since 04 Mar 2005
188 Posts

Stoked

PostMon May 08, 06 4:17 pm     Reply with quote

...add me to the list.

9 waroo is a sweety-pie ride...

I might even buy one someday,,,

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: