Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Ethics and survival at the HR Marina
Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
jdk

Since 21 Dec 2005
333 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed May 17, 06 12:49 pm     Reply with quote

sounds like an easy fix, i would think city would be more than happy to support KB community if that is the case. Hard to tell what city is thinking until the question is asked... Confused

littlegus

Since 08 Jul 2005
29 Posts
La Jungla

PostWed May 17, 06 6:00 pm     Reply with quote

Why depend on the city or government for anything? It's just a joke. If we want someone with a jetski patrol, maybe everyone could pitch in and buy a jetski and everyone could rotate rescue shifts. That might be 1 day a summer with all the kiters at the spit.

Maybe we could coordinate something with the city for storing the jetski or the keys for it.

Slidingby

Since 29 Mar 2006
125 Posts
Portland, OR
Stoked

PostWed May 17, 06 6:15 pm     Reply with quote

When I create my future government inside of this one I promise I will buy you all a jetski..assuming I have your full support.. Cool .

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostWed May 17, 06 8:07 pm    hood river Reply with quote

i was out today waiting on a lesson to start, and there was a beginner getting pushed down wind into the danger zone... I think he either got caught in the hood river current, or was about to. He tried and tried for a while, then finally board dragged back in. I think he was in the water close to an hour, maybe more including drag time.

I know a lot of people were watching him, and there was a boat tied to the sand bar, but at what point do you start to try and help? I was a little worried about him, thinking that if he went downwind much more, he wouldn't be able to drag back to shore... I don't have the skill to go get him...especially down in that area... and I'm not sure he knew where he was....according to the map, he was very close to having to catch a bridge pylon on his way down. So, what do you do?

bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostThu May 18, 06 7:12 am     Reply with quote

E,

In some cases you just wait until it becomes completely obvious that help is needed due to a possible dangerous situation. The water is warm enough now that newbies sometimes have to learn about paying attention to where they are all by themselves. I am sure that if real danger had been imminent that the owner of the boat (was the the metal one with the purple awning???) would have put it to use.

I agree with all the statements on this thread regarding helping those in dire need, but we also should not foster a sense of false security and those on the river need to understand thier surroundings and how to fend for themselves. All is well that ends well, and I bet that guy from now on pays extra attention to what is going on around him...

Nice work on the lesson from Rob... By learning how to deal with shitty six meter gusty crappy Sandbar wind, you will be ready to soon rule the river anywhere in the Gorge.

Kite on, Jon

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostThu May 18, 06 7:23 am    in the real world Reply with quote

there is not much people can do to help kiters ,i will bring you your board and stay with you and drag you in if all goes away which means my board and your gear are all gone ,BUT in the waves nobody is coming for you they just can't.
If inland and somebody lets somebody drown there will be responsability and potential lawsuits there are maritime laws about not helping boaters in distress ,but in the river why not swim in?

Kite/Shit/Eat

Since 19 Apr 2006
8 Posts

Kook

PostThu May 18, 06 7:42 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
but in the river why not swim in?

NFS (No Fu@kin' $hit) IMHO, JCBaSI (just cut bait and swim in)

If you are afraid of losing your 1,000 dolar kite then buy a 1,000 dolar Jet Ski and a friend to back you up.

PS and leave you Pissing on Kites/Bags Dogs at home. I do. I know you all work in New Jersey Cube farms all day and don't have time to excersize your mut, so don' t think its cool to have your mut runnin' free at the Sandbar, pissing on kites, and genreal BS. Either be there with em and have em on a leash or under voice comand.

What the local laws/laws on dogs??? Remember there are no bad dogs, only bad owners

bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostThu May 18, 06 8:04 am     Reply with quote

I disagree that one kiter can't help another. A set of skills I have actually worked to develop is towing kite/board/people. Good kiters should be able to snag and pull a kite in, come back for the board, and then the actual kiter if necessary. People, please work on these skills... I started the day that Adam Koch and Will James plucked me and my gear out of the crazy Rufus current back in 2000. Truly amazing at how quickly these guys were able to get me and my gear onto dry rock while all the time ripping tricks in between the Bam Bam saving.

Saturday a group of us pulled someone into the beach on the coast... Obviously this person had ditched the kite and that turned into a resuce mission all unto its own, but I truly think it is way way more important to have a helping hand at the coast. Even if you can only help in between the larger sets, it is so reasuring that people are paying attention to you in a situation that makes the river and its consequences look silly in comparison.

One rule of thumb if shit goes bad on the coast... Ditch the kite right away and hang onto that board with all your might. Makes a nice life ring when your getting bashed on the head by whitewater.

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostThu May 18, 06 11:22 am     Reply with quote

Nicely put Bam!! Thumb's Up I couldn’t agree more!!

Work on those rescue skills people. It’s actually kind of fun. ~D

PS I rescued a lost board & brought it back to the rider the other day while riding my skim board. Now that was challenging.

pjc

Since 06 Mar 2005
649 Posts

Addicted

PostThu May 18, 06 1:19 pm     Reply with quote

can you describe the coast rescue in a little more detail bambam? where you actually towing the guy? did he start outside out the break and you towed him through the "big foam zone" where the big bulls are crashing?

to the extent that i think about such things, i've always figured if i broke down outside the break one of my mates "might" tow me until things got dicey, but then he'd rightly run from the big monsters and i'd take the beating in through the bulk of the surf. i've got a 5/4 and i'm a strong swimmer and beyond that - well nothings certain in this life and for god's sake don't make two victims. (especially doubling the opprotunity for a "sushi roll").

maybe i'm off the mark here --- but if i had to choose between a hooded 5/4 and no assistance whatsoever, or a ratty 4/3 and a couple of other kites trying to help, i think i'd take the former.

(sorry if i'm taking the thread off the mark but i've never actually had the discussion about rescues at the coast)

bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostThu May 18, 06 1:46 pm     Reply with quote

Yeah, pretty much exactly how it went down... Fortunately the big bad waves were only head high and pretty easy to out run and NOT life threatening at all. Had a few people helping out so right behind the wave was another helpful soul. Not really all that dramatic, but there were for sure three/four kites on the spot. Situation was with a very good kiter who just got caught in a bad way and fouled lines into a pretty mess. Really not a huge deal, and the point is more that kiters can help kiters in all sorts of situations as long as they practice the skills necessary.

I totally agree with you on the BIG IMPACT zone rescue. You had better not even be out there if your not ready to deal with swimming though it. Personally had my solo 1/4 mile swim in a couple of summers ago in 12ft. surf at Newport. Freaking sucked as there was no one around to even give moral support and/or life saving help if it ever would have gotten to that point. Was I scared??? For my life at times brother!!! In the end it was not the brutal big pounding, but the inside foamy surf that really caused problems. At the end I was getting tired and a good kiter would have been easily been able to help this brother out with the last 200 yards. But, back to the general rescue stategy... Yeah, your right on with getting towed into the waves and then swimming through it on your own. Once you get through the super critical zone, your buddies can easily show back up and help drag your wet sorry wave pounded butt back to shore. And just kowning they are in the general area keeping an eye out for you is a huge mental advantage.

When I kite out there now in larger stuff I make sure I am with a few kiters I can just and who can trust me... Just makes the session so much more relaxing when you know if things go bad, some has your back. I also do my best to watch all the kites out wave riding in case something goes wrong.

Jon

pjc

Since 06 Mar 2005
649 Posts

Addicted

PostThu May 18, 06 2:57 pm     Reply with quote

nice info thanks bambam

gabe

Since 16 May 2005
475 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu May 18, 06 4:17 pm     Reply with quote

what is your method of doing a one handed waterstart (to grab a board) if you dont have a stopper ball to rest the bar on? looping the kite would work, but only if it was moderate.

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostThu May 18, 06 7:18 pm     Reply with quote

I put it, cradled in my arms, resting on inside of bent elbows between me and the bar. then send the kite, when I rise out of water I hold it one handed against my side and under arm pit and fly with the otherhand. Sometimes you can just hold the handle ,but in high wind and waves the lack of leverage can twist it about. This is a well practiced deal in florence. It isn't really fun to try and drag out into surf and upwind although I do it when i can.

Retrieving a kite should be done with some caution. I have done it a few times and had it done for me thankfully. Usually where we ride in average conditions Everything comes in 1/4 mile down wind. But during south winds and other oddities stuff seems to not want to beach. I would really not recommend grabbing a rogue kite while riding if at all possible unless really competent or damn sure the line will be clear.

People pullin', well Its hard to tell if someone is really in trouble from a distance in the waves. Obviously there are times when it is aparent and I will usually troll downwind to see if all is well. But as far as dragging them in ,well I guess you would just have to ask and swallow the pride. Many lessons in humility were learned by me on some swims. I can't really imagine it would be a problem towing in da surf it would just take some timing and some patients on big days.

If you get mutilated or busted up I may even give a ride to the hospital, thats how nice I am. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: