Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

The Spit is gone...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Rollo Tomasi

Since 17 Mar 2005
983 Posts

Attractive

PostMon Apr 10, 06 8:35 pm    The Spit is gone... Reply with quote

Kited in HR this afternoon. It was weird b/c the the spit is completely submerged all the way to the parking lot. We launched the kites from the top of the parking lot berm... it was cool that we didn't have to schlep our gear out. the end of the sesh we landed the kites next to the cars when we were done.

yesterday there was mega yardage of dry sand and today nothing but the tops of a couple bushes were visible above the water line Shocked . what a country!!

boardrider

Since 05 Apr 2006
1034 Posts
Ventura, CA
XTreme Poster

PostTue Apr 11, 06 5:06 pm     Reply with quote

Has the sand kept it's shape an depth somewhat, or has it drastically changed d/t all the extra water flow. Glad to see y'all gettin' some the last few days. I'll try for manana, if the wind will cooperate. - C

Rollo Tomasi

Since 17 Mar 2005
983 Posts

Attractive

PostTue Apr 11, 06 6:37 pm     Reply with quote

Hey C-

The sand (and river rock) is still there .. just under water. If anything there's more sand/silt from the runoff. The dams change the river level on a regular basis and we've had a good year for snow pack too. Lyle spit has been underwater for awhile.

I'm sure all will be back to "normal" in no time.

The plus is that most of the logs at the HR spit are gone now.

boredbrain

Since 16 Feb 2006
352 Posts
Hood River
Obsessed

PostTue Apr 11, 06 7:51 pm    spring flow Reply with quote

Heading back and forth to arliington the dams were flowin at 2/3 of the spill ways capacity. Did anyone measure the river hieght in reference to say the parking lot?

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue Apr 11, 06 8:33 pm     Reply with quote

It has been looking to me like there is going to be a lot more sand in the pond area at the sandbar. I havent actually been out on the sand in a while tho. Im hoping to get on on the next sunny and wind day!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
NaishUSA

Since 07 Jul 2005
53 Posts
HR OR

PostFri Apr 14, 06 8:13 am     Reply with quote

LOL- this is normal Very Happy finally a winter with a decent snowpack!

I wonder how many folks lines will be driven over this spring.....

boardrider

Since 05 Apr 2006
1034 Posts
Ventura, CA
XTreme Poster

PostFri Apr 14, 06 4:31 pm     Reply with quote

[quote="NaishUSA"]LOL- this is normal Very Happy finally a winter with a decent snowpack!

I'm not laughing - but I'm definitly all smiles after a stellar snowboarding season. I've lived here for 6 years, and it's definitly the best snow year so far. 5 months of good ridin' and counting. If this is normal - bring it on. Very Happy

I was interested - so I looked it up. A quote from one of the news stations:
"More than three times the amount of snow has fallen this year atop Mount Hood than last year, reaping benefits for Oregon ski areas, resorts and snow tire installers. That’s 122 percent of average snowfall for this time of year. Statewide, the snowfall numbers are even higher, at 130 percent of average."
I hope next year is the same. Oh well - time to ride the water and forget about the snow.

kiteboard117

Since 02 Mar 2005
450 Posts
PDX
McLovin

PostFri Apr 14, 06 5:29 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:
Oh well - time to ride the water and forget about the snow.

i dont know theres 20 inces of new snow forcasted for tonight. i have been riding the water all winter but i think the mountain looks better for tomorow.

boardrider

Since 05 Apr 2006
1034 Posts
Ventura, CA
XTreme Poster

PostFri Apr 14, 06 5:52 pm     Reply with quote

I should have said ALMOSt time to forget about the snow. Yee Ha - I'm there. I love fresh traxxx.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: