Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Best place to retire (world wide)
Page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
pollywog

Since 07 Aug 2009
289 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Aug 25, 21 10:33 am     Reply with quote

I second Florida.

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostTue Aug 31, 21 8:13 am     Reply with quote

Kraemer wrote:
http://gunboat.com/ -- Be where ever you want. Cool

Bingo. That's our plan (for half the year anyway...and not a Gun Boat). I started thinking along these lines around '12. After being exceedingly annoying, year and year, the wife relented and we have recently started phase __ (I can't recall what phase of my devilish scheme we are on now) and got a Corsair 970 to start figuring out the ropes. A number of years yet to go, but when it's time to pull the plug, we will likely upgrade to a Seawind cat. Stalin had 5-year plans, so you're doing good with your 20-year plan. Cut out the nonsense and max those monthly contributions! Wish I had started 20 years earlier (playing catch up now). Now, if I could only a get a slip of my very own....

230556024_4222550807865698_7718054167490833498_n.jpg 

brucedog

Since 17 Aug 2020
16 Posts
Hood River/Baja

PostWed Sep 08, 21 7:46 am    Cruising life Reply with quote

Nice Trimaran! I lived on a catamaran from 2001-2003 with my wife and 3 kids. We started in the south of France, went down the coast of Africa a bit, crossed the Atlantic, and spent two seasons in the Eastern Caribbean/East Coast of USA. And yes, the Gunboat is terribly expensive and also not well suited for full time living aboard.

It was my experience that living aboard is a lot of work...fixing the boat constantly, planning for weather, worrying about dragging anchor, provisioning the boat...the list goes on. Our friends thought it was all sunsets and rum punch but when they visited they saw the whole picture Smile

We were windsurfers back then and kiting is much better suited to life aboard since the gear is so much smaller. Enjoy your adventure!

P3280031.JPG
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  P3280031.JPG
 Filesize:  850.57 KB
 Downloaded:  376 Time(s)
 Note:  Use Pixlr to resize images to lower than 1024x768 resolution so they show up inline.

deminimis

Since 15 Jul 2014
326 Posts
On the Rocks
Obsessed

PostWed Sep 08, 21 8:07 am     Reply with quote

Thank you!! It's a lot of work even when not living aboard. Looking forward to getting a slip in HR (in about a bazillion years). Went with a tri so we can get our sea legs and develop some skills. When we change things up in a few years from now and get a cat, it will be an easier sell to the wife (she won't have to unfurl this, pull on sheets, winch that, etc, like now). Spent the long weekend training up rotating crew, and myself. Wife is hooked, so things are looking good. No pics when we were getting after it as everyone was too busy.

Waiting for the Wind Gods to flip the switch (TD-Doug's-Row). They did:

240850251_10219336052928248_1379836175998981983_n.jpg 

brucedog

Since 17 Aug 2020
16 Posts
Hood River/Baja

PostWed Sep 08, 21 8:23 am     Reply with quote

Excellent! Getting the partner to enjoy the boat is paramount (almost as important as a good autopilot).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: