Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Newbie Question - starting with a surfboard

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  

PostFri Apr 29, 05 11:55 am    Newbie Question - starting with a surfboard Reply with quote

I have a surfboard (6'2) and was wondering if starting out on a surfboard is easier than a TT. Which will help me progress quicker? I take it I can use a much smaller kite do to the volume of the surfboard.

Also

I have a couple of DVD's with guys ripping it up on surfboards but I did not get how they were starting out. Is it similar to getting pulled up windsurfstyle waterstart, heels on top of board, bend knees, roll up to a stance?

Also

On a surfboard is it necessary to edge hard or do you ride it more like a windsurfboard using more of the fin?

Neutral

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostFri Apr 29, 05 4:48 pm     Reply with quote

You're going to want straps for learning. A "directional" is ok for learning, especially if you know the foot switching for jybes from windsurfing.

But the best advice is go score a TT around 155cm for learning on. You should be able to find a used one for pretty cheap, casuse once you learn, everyone wants smaller and lighter boards.

have fun!

barfly

Since 31 Mar 2005
1210 Posts
Seaside
BRACKISH

PostMon May 02, 05 12:06 pm     Reply with quote

Kiting with a surfboard is a great way to get started! It's fun and easy. Wax upa and keep the knees bent. focus on edge control. Jibing will be tricky but as you get better kite control it will come around, remember to stay centered on the stringer (front to back; rail to rail) until you are up on a plane, then gently apply pressure back to the edge.
Overpowered conditions are not good so rig down... and when you do get overpowered, get off the water. Have fun and save up for short TT when you want to get juiced!

kazi

Since 02 May 2005
19 Posts

PostMon May 02, 05 1:58 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I just purchased a Hammer 174 HTT and a Hammer Ono (147) off of Ebay last week. I'm a little P.O.'ed that I didn't see pkh's GTO until it was too late.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon May 02, 05 8:41 pm     Reply with quote

kazi I am PO'd that you thought of that avatar before I did, DAMNIT!

I'm disrespectful to dirt!
Can you see I am serious!
For lucky best wash, use Mr. Sparkle.

kazi

Since 02 May 2005
19 Posts

PostMon May 02, 05 9:05 pm     Reply with quote

That's Mista Supaaakulu to you Twisted Evil

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: