Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Lincoln City Kite Festival ....
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostMon Mar 20, 06 8:05 am    Lincoln City Kite Festival .... Reply with quote

I saw that they have a kiteboarding demo scheduled at noon for the kite festival.

http://www.oregoncoast.org/kite-festival/kites-summer05.html

I was thinking of organizing a sponsored competition for this next year. I have done events like this before, with pretty great success. But for it to be successful, we need participants.

Is there any interest in talking some friendly smack on the beach, going out and ripping it up and then walk away with the prize money?

Given that it's a local comp, we (as a group) can decide the categories to judge on. I know that lincoln city doesn't have the best beach to set up on, but I still think we could pull it off (as long as there's wind).

anyway, just a thought. If there's interest, I'll start pulling in some sponsors and plan this for next year (and yes, feel free to offer help!) Smile

thx.
brett

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2575 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostMon Mar 20, 06 8:45 am     Reply with quote

Hey Flyin E,

I love Road's End and I would think it well suited for contests. Count me in! Any excuse to head south!

PS...A regular race/competition series is in the works for Sauvies this season. Get ready to BRING IT!

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostMon Mar 20, 06 9:43 am    question Reply with quote

I came up with one more question...
are there types of sponsors you would rather have/not have? i.e. brand specific kites vs. local dealers, etc.

Personally, i like to use the opportunity to promote the locals, but typically, when you do that, they have less financial ability to sponsor.

just a thought...

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostMon Mar 20, 06 9:56 am     Reply with quote

haha, I remember those kite festival days... Used to go out there when I was like 10, thinking I was pretty cool because I could get dragged around the beach on my "quad line" Revolutions... Wink

Anywho, as far as sponsors go. If you were to do this, I personally think you'd have better luck going through local shops. I just can't see specific kite manufacturers wanting to put a whole lot of money into a amatuer event. Maybe that wouldn't be the case so much if you at least had regional team riders out there, I dunno... Thumb's Up

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostMon Mar 20, 06 10:09 am     Reply with quote

Also, Wind Slither, where do you normally launch from Road's End? Further north than that little beach access/turn around parking lot? Just curious because the last few times it was dead at Siletz, we drove out there to see what it was like.

And I realize that this is a horrible picture, but I was mainly trying to get JP feeding the seagulls Cheetos!

Looking north from the "turn around"
 Looking north from the "turn around"  RoadsEnd.jpg 

Last edited by Kataku2k3 on Mon Mar 20, 06 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total

Ryan

Since 14 Jul 2005
536 Posts
Oregon
Addicted

PostMon Mar 20, 06 10:32 am     Reply with quote

That small turn around at roads is the spot. Roads often has the best wind and largest waves in the area. I have been windsurfing there for years. I have only surfed farther up the beach but i suspect the wind gets wierd from the 'head' that sticks out up north.

its almost alway side on, sort of a downer

Roads would make a great event location due to the high bank for watching the action and a parking lot.

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2575 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostMon Mar 20, 06 10:55 am     Reply with quote

yeah that's right...right at the trun around. If the swell is monster...there's a flatter rippy area just to the North...then just south you can catch the bombsettos! Very Happy

Now who's ready for Rooster damn it! Last chance, it's going to rain all week!

colby

Since 23 Apr 2005
613 Posts
Celebrity
Photographer

PostMon Mar 20, 06 11:20 am     Reply with quote

I'm seriously thinking about rooster...maybe I'll catch you out there in the next couple of hours.

colby

Since 23 Apr 2005
613 Posts
Celebrity
Photographer

PostMon Mar 20, 06 12:14 pm     Reply with quote

its lite out here at rooster...slither on a 20M

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostMon Mar 20, 06 12:19 pm     Reply with quote

Yea, Corbett's sensor is only reading 7ESE. Glad you guys actually made it out there still! Stevenson's lookin' solid again today too!

colby

Since 23 Apr 2005
613 Posts
Celebrity
Photographer

PostMon Mar 20, 06 12:24 pm     Reply with quote

not looking bad here...a flat kite or 16M+ would probably work....giving it a shot or moving to stevenson

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Mar 20, 06 1:00 pm     Reply with quote

Colby what kind of mobile technology do you have where you can post from Rooster?

boredbrain

Since 16 Feb 2006
352 Posts
Hood River
Obsessed

PostMon Mar 20, 06 2:04 pm    Cingular Mobil for Laptop Reply with quote

I have the cingular wireless for my laptop. Works great. If you have cell coverage, you have internet.

Cost 150 for Card and 80 a month for Unlimited Access. about 115k bandwidth.

I have had it on from Coast to Boardman and except for some places around phillipi canyon due to blockage of the signal by terrain.

BK

colby

Since 23 Apr 2005
613 Posts
Celebrity
Photographer

PostMon Mar 20, 06 2:10 pm     Reply with quote

I have a PDA cell phone with the slick little slider keyboard on it...it's the older model through Verizon...It's referred to as the 'Harrier'. They just came out with the Treo, and it looks a little more solid and easier to type on. I shot a little video this of Jason and his 20M today...I'll see if it's worth posting, but I'm bettting it's really poor quality.

kiteboard117

Since 02 Mar 2005
450 Posts
PDX
McLovin

PostMon Mar 20, 06 2:50 pm     Reply with quote

would this competion be durring the lincoln city kite festival? I would deffinatly be willing to compete.

tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostMon Mar 20, 06 3:03 pm    kite fest Reply with quote

kiteboard117 wrote:
would this competion be durring the lincoln city kite festival? I would deffinatly be willing to compete.

yes! probably some type of prelims/qualifiers saturday, and finals sunday... or maybe just one day... let me see what I can do with sponsor interest, and we can work on details.

ps, i tested, and I can reply to this site through web access on my phone. It's slow, but it works.

importracer9 99

Since 27 Oct 2005
296 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Mar 20, 06 5:39 pm     Reply with quote

they "will thrill you with their ocean-to-air acrobatics."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: