Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Directional Jibing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Mocean

Since 21 Sep 2005
343 Posts
Newport
Obsessed

PostMon Mar 13, 06 6:24 pm    Directional Jibing Reply with quote

Just got a 5'5" SRT. This is kind of an experiment, as I've been so used to twin tips, but love the idea of a more surfboard-like shape to rip waves on - but with it comes new challenges, especially jibing, since I can't picture tweaking all the time toeside on the way out (I'm a regular-foot surfer) I'd be interested to know how many out there who ride small directionals jibe them on a regular basis, and if so, what were the keys to learning?

STeve

mikes

Since 13 Mar 2005
90 Posts
B'Ham

PostMon Mar 13, 06 9:22 pm     Reply with quote

Not that I am a pro, though I've windsurfed for years and can jibe that no prob, but I struggled with a 5' Mutant before I bagged it and stuck with twintips. Then after a few flailing attempts on a skim I grabbed my 6' surf board and rode it strapless, jibing that thing was easy.

Your SRT should be way easier than a Mut. I'd say ride it strapless a few times on flat water to get the feel for it, the straps get in the way, then after you figure it out put em back on. The other thing is switch your feet before or after the turn, I find going toeside for a bit to get the speed back up helps, but that's just me

gabe

Since 16 May 2005
475 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Mar 13, 06 9:37 pm     Reply with quote

everyone always talks about jibing before or aftera turn, but the only way that works for me is during a turn. this is all assuming strapless. as i bring the kite over i bear off downwind, put rear foot forward and then old front foot back as the kite powers up. sure, you can't do super powered turns, but the kite isn't directly overhead either. you can always do a huge carve, and then do a foot exchange later.

after learning this on a surfboard (not good at it, but it keeps me from getting wet too much), i have been able to begin applying it to a skim, which feels like the easiest way for me b/c there is no edging pressure on the board. the skim is still way harder. a massive depower kite makes all of this way easier.

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostTue Mar 14, 06 6:55 am     Reply with quote

I spin my skim under my feet instead of jibbin'. My jimi mutant was a pain to jib so I gave it up. Someone told me it was the easiest trick you can learn. Rolling Eyes

azazello

Since 11 Jun 2005
60 Posts
Seattle

PostThu Mar 16, 06 7:10 pm     Reply with quote

Here, here! I need instructions on how to spin the skim. Or do whatever is the easiest thing to jibe it. I'm usually having so much fun on it that I never get to practicing anything, so I end up either riding it like a twin tip (ugh.) or dumping my ass into the water for jibes (not too bad actually, takes a couple of seconds to rotate the board with your feet), or riding toe-side, but that doesn't work half of the time.

School me!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: