Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

camcorder advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
jack

Since 12 Mar 2006
211 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Mar 12, 06 1:48 pm    camcorder advice Reply with quote

Seems like there are some pretty good videos done here, looking for recommendations on a camcorder for recording kiting activities. looking for good zoom capabilities and something that will hold up on the beach. any recommendations appreciated.

Thanks!

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostSun Mar 12, 06 2:07 pm     Reply with quote

Personally I like Sony, unless you're talking about the higher end Canon stuff. Most of the new lesser expensive Sony cams aren't that great either, though they do still have a nicer picture and better options than just about any other brand within the same price range (I wouldn't even consider JVC, etc. as they really are just junk). If you're looking to digitally edit, then be sure to get a miniDV, or at least Digi8 cam. Then you can upload to your computer via Firewire (IEEE 1394), never losing a bit of quality. Also, what are you looking to spend? I'll try to help a bit more after I know that...

-Adam

jack

Since 12 Mar 2006
211 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Mar 12, 06 2:18 pm     Reply with quote

thanks for the info, not sure how much i want to spend but was hoping for under $1000.

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostSun Mar 12, 06 3:39 pm     Reply with quote

Okay cool, I didn't realize your budget was that high, but that's good... Gives us a lot broader range to look over. You're right on the borderline of a 3CCD (a.k.a. 3 chip) camera, price wise, but then again, I'm not sure how much you would need one. They will however give you the best picture. And like I said before, I'd still probably stick to Sony unless you were considering maybe a Canon GL-2 or something (which is a 3CCD cam and easily $1k+). This year's Sony DCR-HCxx's are okay, but I personally liked last year's and the DCR-TRVxx's from a couple years back as they weren't so "point & shootish" (automatic everything).

If you're looking for something simple, small, and compact then you still might want to check them out... SonyStyle.com - 2006 DCR-HC series

On the other hand, if you're looking for something a little bigger, with slightly better manual control (focus, etc.), then I'd either look back to the 2005 Sony stuff, or consider switching brands. Here's what last years Sony DCR-HC85 looked like... camcorderinfo.com - 2005 DCR-HC85

I know I didn't add much over what I said before, but that might give you a start on things to consider as far as options, etc.

If we were talking unlimited funds, my top 3 or 4 camera choices would be... the Canon XL-H1 (HD cam - 3 chip), Sony FX-1 (HD also - 3 chip), followed by the Sony VX2100 and/or PD150 (both miniDV - 3 chip). These cams all allow almost full manual control, which is nice for a lot of things...

Inept_Fun

Since 14 Apr 2005
1417 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostSun Mar 12, 06 5:19 pm     Reply with quote

If you are going to invest around that much into a camera make sure it is 3 chip, its almost not worth buying a camera unless it is 3 chip in my opinion any kind of good video needs at least 3 chip quality. Sony and Canon are great companies but I wouldnt outrule panasonic either, they make a great compact 3 chip camera we have one for Inept Films. Another good deal would be to look for a Canon Gl-1, they are another good 3 chip cam you might be able to find reasonably priced.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
tacksharp

Since 06 Dec 2005
91 Posts
The Hood
Photographer

PostSun Mar 12, 06 7:28 pm    Sony Reply with quote

Although I shoot Canon religiously on the still side, I do shoot Sony video. I have a little gem of the a camera that I would put up against any 3 chip video - it's a Sony DCR-PC300. It's claim to fame was that it held 3 megapixels worth of information in a single chip camera. Whether this was actually true or not I'm not sure, since I don't profess to be a pro video guy; however, I have done a few projects on this camera and people were blown away. It's small, with my Century fisheye and waterhousing, it's a cool camera. Mac compatible, firewire, etc. New this camera went for $1,650.00...I saw one on ebay a few days ago for $300-$400.00 bucks. It's a two year old camera. The new version is the DCR-PC350.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSun Mar 12, 06 9:49 pm     Reply with quote

I was ever so close to buying a camcorder this winter, but the whole HD thing has me waiting. HD consumer cameras are just starting to come out, and you know with the way things go they are going to be mainstream within the next two years.

I don't even have an HDTV yet, but I am staying away from the current camcorders until I can get an HD one... I figure whatever I buy should keep me happy for at least 5 years, and I will be wanting HD before that.

Slipin Lizard

Since 23 Sep 2005
88 Posts
Hood River, Oregon

PostMon Mar 13, 06 1:27 pm    Camera to buy... Reply with quote

If this is going to be for your own use, (ie, you're not hiring yourself out as a pro videographer) then you'll probably be really happy with a good single chip standard definition camera. I used an older single chip Canon ZR10 for years, and did some pretty nice work with it. It really comes down to how good the operator is more than wether its single chip or 3 chip. You might also want to get a decent tripod, which is possible with your budget if you go with a single chip camera. A single chip Mini DV camera will pretty much blow away any Video 8, or "Hi 8" camera for image quality.
As for HD, the consumer cameras coming out right now are actually "HDV", a highly compressed format whose merits are still being debated. Also, the price range of these cameras is near $10,000, but they will get cheaper.
The Canon GL1 and GL2 are both great cameras, but be careful buying used. If you can't test it before you buy it, don't bother.
When you go to edit in DV on your computer, you'll have to capture the video from your camera. If you want to capture just the shots you like, you'll be shuttling back and forth basically using your camera as a VTR. This is hard on the unit, and will shorten the life span of your camera. Again, going with a single chip camera will keep the cost down, so when it does die you won't be so put out. That being said, I've used my ZR10 for both shooting and capturing, and its still going strong after years of use and abuse. I now shoot with an XL2, but use the ZR10 as a VTR. You can check out some of my stuff at my site: www.burntlizard.com just click the demo reel link. All the images you see (except the CG) were shot with the ZR10.
Whatever camera you end up getting, try shooting some 16x9 stuff with it, you'll probably really like that look.

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostMon Mar 13, 06 1:55 pm     Reply with quote

Yea, I totally agree with you overall Slipin Lizard, but differ in one part. I've used a lot of the lower end Canon stuff (several from the ZR series), and they really don't take as clean of picture as the Sonys in their price range. The colors just seem a bit more washed, and we've tried everything (all the manual adjustments) to make it look a little better, but with no luck. Thankfully the cams haven't been our personal ones, so in the end it really wasn't our problem. And yes, when editing you can change the leveling, but it's always better/easier to get it done right when it's shot. Aside from that, their overall controls (and even ergonomics) of the cam aren't as nice. I really don't think a 3CCD cam is necessary here, unless you (jack) are looking for something way above the average consumer. Slipin Lizard is also right about how hard using your cam for playback is on the heads. It definately shortens the life of them as JP and I've seen. JP's bro, and a friend of ours down here at school both have GL-1's, but use their Sony TRV18 and TRV27's, respectively to capture/upload.

This is probably unecessary, but if you were really looking to do some nice video work, I'd go with a Sony PD-150. Not the most expensive by far (still $1k+), but takes an awesome picture, and is about the right size for kiting. Most skaters use the Canon GLs and the Sony VX, PD line for this reason.

gotkite

Since 16 Mar 2006
14 Posts
Seattle, WA

PostThu Mar 16, 06 3:23 pm     Reply with quote

Check this sight out for camcorder camparrisons (http://www.camcorderinfo.com/ratings.php) it helped me narrow my search..

GOTkITE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: