Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Back from First Lesson in Maui-Need Trainer Kite Info
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
BizzyLizzy

Since 08 Jan 2006
15 Posts
PDX via Ashland, soon Amer Samoa

PostFri Mar 10, 06 8:01 pm    Back from First Lesson in Maui-Need Trainer Kite Info Reply with quote

I'm sure this is a frequent post, but . . . I have finished grieving that I am back in So Oregon from Maui and my wonderful first kiteboarding lesson. Now I need to figure out where to find a good trainer kite.

What size of kite and length line for a trainer? Do they come with bar and lines or do I need to figure that out as well already? Can I trust a used kite? If so, any suggestions on where to shop in OR? What about online? There is absolutely no one in So Oregon to ask this stuff of and my time in PDX is always limited and jampacked so if I can get a little of the scoop ahead of time I'll be ahead of the game. If there is any other advice you can think of I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Elizabeth

BWKitebeachMaui.jpg 

kiteboard117

Since 02 Mar 2005
450 Posts
PDX
McLovin

PostFri Mar 10, 06 8:27 pm     Reply with quote

I fully recomend buying a new 3 meter trainer kite. I bought one when I was learning 4 years ago and i still have a good time flying it when i cant get out riding. The trainers are bomber though so buying one used would probably be pretty safe. All of them should come with the bar and lines ready to go out of the bag. Here in Portland there are a few shops, All Surf Industy, and Gorge Performance. ASI carries slingshot cabrihna and best, gorge performance carries naish and north. Slingshot trainers are the best i have seen and ASI is a great shop(I am biased cause i work there in the summer). Also ASI has a kitenight in the summer every thursday on sauvies island so if your in town you can get a free lesson.

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostFri Mar 10, 06 8:36 pm     Reply with quote

Are you just looking for a basic trainer kite? As in one to get your basic control down, or are you looking for something with a little power? If you're just looking for a "skill building" kite, I'd go with a Slingshot Wasp, B2, or B3 (the higher the number, the bigger the kite, and the more power overall). And again, if you're just using this for a trainer, I really wouldn't go with anything bigger. Brand new all of these kites come complete, that is with a bar, lines, and a bag. If you're buying used (which actually is probably a good idea - cheaper, especially for something that you'll outgrow quickly), then I'd double check on what you're getting.

It's too bad that you don't live a little further north and that we're not closer to summer. All Surf Industry (their shop's located in downtown Portland), has an "ASI Kite Night", Thursdays at Sauvie Island during the summer at which you can fly their trainer kites for free (with someone to help you out too, if you need it).

SlingshotKiteboarding.com - Trainer Kites

This is probably bigger than you want, but just for some sorta reference (on used prices), here's a B4 being sold on eBay... Slingshot B4

Hope this helps! Thumb's Up

EDIT: Damn Tucker, you type FAST... We pretty much said the same stuff though, haha!

Last edited by Kataku2k3 on Fri Mar 10, 06 11:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

EdG

Since 19 Dec 2005
424 Posts
Just a Kook that's
Obsessed

PostFri Mar 10, 06 9:17 pm     Reply with quote

I picked up a Slingshot B2 (~2 m^2) and it's a great intro kite. It's also really quick to grow out of. What did you fly in Maui? If your good with a B2, I would get a B3, or equivelant so you can have some fun with it. My B2 is generally used for people who have not flown a kite before.

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostSat Mar 11, 06 7:28 am     Reply with quote

There are lots of people in southern oregon who kite and a shop or two

on the southern oregon coast. Where exactly are you? Sorry didn't see

your in ashland. go to floras lake (floreaslakewindsurfing) they do

lessons and sell gear and there is another shop near there called big air.

the lake is going to be by far the best spot for you to learn, I think Will

the boss man rents trainers, I would go to a regular old hobby kite shop

for a foil 2-4 meter.they have less pull than the kite board trainers but fly

the same and are half the price. I would let you borrow mine if you

promise to return it. after four years I still have one to play around with

when the wind is funky. you need to go to the lake and fly a big kite with

really short lines to get the skill rollin'. most people don't understand why

they need to fly the trainer anymore after they stop crashin' it . the truth

is you should be able to fly it around for a half hour with your eyes

closed. see you around I am sure. jason

Last edited by registered on Sat Mar 11, 06 7:47 am; edited 1 time in total

BizzyLizzy

Since 08 Jan 2006
15 Posts
PDX via Ashland, soon Amer Samoa

PostSat Mar 11, 06 7:37 am     Reply with quote

I am in Ashland. Where do people kite here? Since there isn't any place to kiteboard in the Rogue I just assumed there weren't any resources (my bad). So school me. Where do I go? What do I do?
Thanks to all of you that have posted replies. They're very helpful!

Elizabeth

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostSat Mar 11, 06 7:41 am    Langlois Reply with quote

go to Floras Lake and see Will Brady he's the best instuctor in Oregon

boredbrain

Since 16 Feb 2006
352 Posts
Hood River
Obsessed

PostSat Mar 11, 06 9:06 am     Reply with quote

For Floras lake, Go on northerlies. Southerlies will not be a good time.

BK

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostSat Mar 11, 06 3:23 pm     Reply with quote

why are southerlys bad??????? they sure seem fun. Shocked gold beach pistol river, floras lake, whiskey run, those will be your local world class spots lizzy. Within a couple minutes from your house ,more than likely you will be pioneerin', unless that guys buddy who brought the first wipika to north america has been there. damn them guys. Wink

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostSat Mar 11, 06 3:43 pm     Reply with quote

Though I've never ridden at Floras (hopefully will get to in a couple weeks over spring break), it doesn't seem like it would be too smart to ride in southerlies (if you're launching from the northern tip). Not that I'm really concerned about my own safety or anything (I actually normally could care less), it's just that the wind down there seems to nuke when it's blowing south and I wouldn't want to get flung up onto the beach. I dunno, maybe it wouldn't be that bad if it's wide open, but since I've never seen it, who knows... If it's anything like those Cape Blanco storms, you'd be fuck'd! Rolling Eyes

Lull = underpowered, Average = solid, Gusts = done for!
 Lull = underpowered, Average = solid, Gusts = done for!  FlorasDec29.gif 

Last edited by Kataku2k3 on Sat Mar 11, 06 3:54 pm; edited 2 times in total

tch

Since 08 Aug 2005
17 Posts

PostSat Mar 11, 06 3:45 pm     Reply with quote

What about the local lakes - Lake of the Woods, Lost Creek, Shasta (little bit of a drive), Emigrant (I think they use that to hang glide from durring the summer), Applegate, Hyatt Prairie, Fish Lake, and the lakes south of Bend that are on ikitesurf. Don't they all get some wind from thermals during the summer time? The Rouge Valley is a sweet place to live and play - even better if you could kite there as well during the summer.

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostSat Mar 11, 06 5:07 pm     Reply with quote

start halfway down the west side of the lake. But most ride the southerlies at the ocean, It makes those lefts better. the wind is usually pretty good of course wind is hard to predict sometimes , and there is lots of riding in the rain, imagine riding wet. trainer now lizzie, fly it with your eyes closed, then when the gusty north at the lake or the gusty wests in the gorge come back you will be ready, so that shortly afterward you can come and ride waves for hours in the steady north wind of our oregon coast. Also there is the option of snow,we try to get to crater lake and ride the pumice deserts with 12 ft of snow on them when ever the schedule aligns. I would call floras lake and talk to will ,who knows maybe he will sell you some 05 stuff cheap. P.S the blanco wind guage is an animal all its own, the wind readings thewre are very special. best to guage wihskey run from arago or even the lake.

importracer9 99

Since 27 Oct 2005
296 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Mar 11, 06 7:22 pm     Reply with quote

nice one
Last edited by importracer9 99 on Mon Mar 22, 21 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

importracer9 99

Since 27 Oct 2005
296 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Mar 11, 06 7:23 pm     Reply with quote

the thing about southerlys....
Last edited by importracer9 99 on Mon Mar 22, 21 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total

shastadogs2

Since 28 Mar 2005
336 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Mar 12, 06 9:07 am     Reply with quote

elizabeth,

one thng i have found on these forums (nwkite.com being by far the best, of course) is that the problem is not a derth of info, but the opposite: eryone has an opinion. . .

that having been said, my rec is to ditch the trainer. i am about two years into this, began with a b1 trainer after my first lesson. what i found regarding trainer foils was:
1. they're fun to fly.
2. they fly fast with little input, a reflection of axiom that says the that the smaller the kite the more responsive it is.
3. they are of LIMITED help in learning to fly their big brothers. once you have mastered the trainer, i suggest you ditch it. small foils, with their quick response rates, can actually teach bad habits tha may haunt you when you move up.
4. save you money (even a used b3 might cost you similar money as a used 6 or 8m traction kite) and get the gear you are going to need and BUY BOARD TIME. BT is what it is all about.
5. Def hook up with Will at floras-encouraging guy, jet ski support, shallow warm lake that is walkable if/when you get blown down wind.

cheers

jimbo

tonski

Since 11 Jun 2005
332 Posts
NW Portland
Obsessed

PostSun Mar 12, 06 9:17 am     Reply with quote

importracer - that is a sweet new avatar - give us the inside scoop on the picture. -Tonski

Elizabeth: I remember trying to learn at Floras and getting very frustrated that it is extremely hard to stay upwind (no current) and the starting point is your most upwind point (can't gain any ground). In hindsight, I wish I would have paid for a lesson from Will and had jet-ski support. That way, you don't have to stress about ending up at the other side of the lake with no where to land. Best wishes, Tonski

importracer9 99

Since 27 Oct 2005
296 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Mar 12, 06 7:01 pm     Reply with quote

can't forget the fact that when in 50 mph gusts you can loop the trainer kite and get lofted 60 feet horizontally. it was fun

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: