Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Skin Cancer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostThu Mar 09, 06 8:28 pm    Skin Cancer Reply with quote

Just a reminder, don't forget to go to the Dermatologist. I had to have a pretty large chunk of skin removed from my ear on Monday. Now, I have to stay out of the water for at least 4 weeks.
Most of the time skin cancer is NOT a big deal if caught early. The earlier they find it the less tissue that has to be removed and that means you can recover faster. The faster you recover the sooner you can get on the water.
I am not trying to be the sunscreen police and I am not trying to scare anyone. I do want all of us to be able to capatilize on our relatively short season. Any injury or illness that can be prevented is well worth bringing to the attention of friends.

https://kb4c.rallyup.com/kb4c/286ef9/Member

littlegus

Since 08 Jul 2005
29 Posts
La Jungla

PostThu Mar 09, 06 11:44 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the reminder. Those of us with lighter skin definitely need to be aware of this.

I try to cover everything below my neck in the summer. I use sunglasses for the eyes and spf 45 for things above the neck.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostFri Mar 10, 06 7:26 am     Reply with quote

Good point Steve, hope you recover fast.

shastadogs2

Since 28 Mar 2005
336 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Mar 12, 06 9:43 am     Reply with quote

some things to think about regarding rodent's disease (old timey term for skin cancer-so named because of the way it will eat away at ya)

skin cancer comes in a few flavors, and it is useful to make these distinctions. . .
1. basal cell ca-usually no big deal, catch it early though or it will eat you up: think of a sore, usually on sun-exposed skin: face, ears, nose especially, but also shoulders, hands arms, it sort of flares up and crusts over, usually for weeks to months-takes some time to get on your radar screen, maybe something you hit with the razor and open up on a regular to semi regular basis.
2. squamous cell ca-much like basal cell but tends to be more invasive.
3. melanoma-the death spiral or skin cancer-
Asymmetrical in layout; most harmless moles (nevi) have good symmetry
Border irregularity-difficult to tell where normal skin stops and the lesion begins. may also show irregular depth and thickness
Color verigated-may shwo blues, blacks, reds, purple, etc.
Diameter often greater than 6mm.

in medicine, things are often more complex than we care to admit. if in doubt, get your ass to the doctor.

and sun-block, like trainer kites, can have unforseen effects. some studies suggest that their use (sunblock, not foils Smile )may impart in their users a sense that sun exposure is harmless. use sunblock, but also understand the risks. hats and rash-guards are cool. shade is something to seek when off the water.

jimbo

adrianczm

Since 06 Mar 2006
89 Posts
Cozumel, Mexico

PostTue Mar 14, 06 11:09 am    Seems the Magic Doctor its around!! Reply with quote

Hey Steve you are right, its a good advice and we better be careful although I think I will die at the end from anything I better start putting my shorts before the take a chunk of my butt from Kiting naked!!! Just kidding.

Hey Jimbo, Im glad I hear your advice and did not go to the doctor that day. I had the Antibiotics you told me that afternoon and the next day I went to Cancun just to get the nails cut, I was ready to kite the next day no problem. If I had gone to the hospital to work the nails out I might have gotten stuck at least for a week or so away from the water.

Thanks for the advice and I hope Kendra its still kiting and having fun!!

Adrian

A1.jpg 

blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostWed Mar 29, 06 11:45 am     Reply with quote

I talked to the doctor today and I have the go ahead to get back in the water. Bring it on! To say the least I am stoked!
I am going to wear my helmet all season with earflaps just to keep the sun off, I don't want to deal with the crap again next year.

https://kb4c.rallyup.com/kb4c/286ef9/Member

mit_noslrac

Since 17 May 2005
108 Posts
Bend Oregon
Stoked

PostWed Mar 29, 06 1:53 pm     Reply with quote

Steve-

Are you sure you got that from the Sun and not the water at Sauvies?
I know you like to kite after it rains!

Ryan

Since 14 Jul 2005
536 Posts
Oregon
Addicted

PostWed Mar 29, 06 2:41 pm     Reply with quote

The solution to pollution is dilution Wink Just watch out for floaters....they don't disolve. Shocked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: