Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

What Size Chicken Loop?
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Scribble

Since 18 Nov 2005
636 Posts
NoPo
Addicted

PostFri Mar 10, 06 5:18 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks a lot. Believe it or not I am not confused one bit....

Scribble

Since 18 Nov 2005
636 Posts
NoPo
Addicted

PostFri Apr 28, 06 8:02 pm     Reply with quote

Doh I forgot to pick up a cleat as well so I can do the oneline conversion this weekend. Is there anyone in town that sells them? I bought the chickenloop from Gorge Performance but I don't remember seeing any cleats. ASI still seems to be closed.

thanks

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostFri Apr 28, 06 8:30 pm     Reply with quote

Which cleat exactly are you talking about? The main one for your depower, or the little one to lock off your Oneline?

Slidingby

Since 29 Mar 2006
125 Posts
Portland, OR
Stoked

PostFri Apr 28, 06 9:03 pm     Reply with quote

Had to edit ~ Cool
Last edited by Slidingby on Fri Apr 28, 06 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

Slidingby

Since 29 Mar 2006
125 Posts
Portland, OR
Stoked

PostFri Apr 28, 06 9:04 pm     Reply with quote

Inept_Fun wrote:
I dont really understand what slingshot is trying to do... make things as complicated as possible? its just a chicken loop, get one that unhooks when you want it to, and stays hooked in when you want it to. You dont need all those gimmicks..

Slingshot makes it simple, it's just adam trying to explain things that's confusing hahaha j/k Laughing ... Honestly though I think slingshot makes things pretty simple overall, I haven't been around kiteboarding too long and a good part of what I have learned about equipment has come from slingshot's information (not all my knowledge comes form slingshot of course).

Hein

Since 08 Mar 2005
1313 Posts

Possessed

PostSat Apr 29, 06 5:44 am     Reply with quote

I do quite a bit of unhooked riding. Here's a picture of my small pulley bar
which I use with my 7.

The bar is 14.5 inches overall width. The loop is 3.5 x 6 inches.
The distance from the end of the loop to the bar is 13.5 inches.
This is an important dimension because you are essentially doing
a pull up to hook back in. Bringing the bar down to your chin
should allow you to hook back in easily. If that distance is too
short then it will be very hard to hook back in. Ever try doing
a chin up and then keep going until the bar is at your chest?

Considering that you might be trying to hook back in white
water while be yanked upward by your kite and sharks nibbling
at your feet; the loop should be big and easy to find. Being
able to grab just above the loop helps. But that means you'll
be holding the bar with one hand for a split second. If the loop
sticks out rigidly then you'll be able to hook back in with out
taking either hand off the bar. That's much easier when learning
to ride unhooked. If the loop flops around or gets turned then
you're going to have trouble. And dealing with a donkey dick
is even worse. You shouldn't have to fidget with stuff to unhook
and hook-in.

I'm normally on a kite 2 sizes smaller. I think that by itself
is a huge safety factor and eliminates the need for so-called
safety systems and "100%" depower. Looping my kite through
the power zone doesn't generate a debilitating amount of power.
In fact it's a great way to generate some power and kite speed
to get going. Get a small kite up to speed and it develops all
the power you need. (kite power is related to the square of its
velocity.)

I'm not saying you should ride with a pulley bar. But you might
consider as smaller kite. That is the FIRST and most important
step to riding unhooked. Once you unhook you'll begin to realise
what you need to get hooked back in. And you don't want to find
that out while you're over powered on a kite that's too big.

-Hein

Last edited by Hein on Sat Apr 29, 06 6:30 am; edited 4 times in total

blowhard

Since 26 Dec 2005
2025 Posts

Windward

PostSat Apr 29, 06 6:07 am    what a joke ---.S.S. Reply with quote

I'm glad all those decisions are left up to Logosz,sure loks like a lot of stuff to smack you in the head for just a trim loop.

Keep it simple stupid

Scribble

Since 18 Nov 2005
636 Posts
NoPo
Addicted

PostSat Apr 29, 06 7:48 am     Reply with quote

I need the depower cleat. Im upgrading an 03 bar to Oneline and the cleat is old and different.

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostSat Apr 29, 06 8:15 am     Reply with quote

That looks like a 02 bar in the mini vid? Wow I have not seen the hard-line in a while. Slingshot is always inproving thier bars. The little round thingy where the chicken loop hooks to the chicken line on the o4-05 were breaking with high loading turns so they changed it up to the new bigger and harder than ever, to hit you in the face, but adjustable big black plastic chicken loop with the wave granade clam cleat mounted to it. I personally think the new thingy is over the top and have enjoyed the old neoprene cover era loop( 4 line only.The draw back is that it is harder to reload it unless you done riding, thats where the advantage of the big plastic jig comes in.

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostSat Apr 29, 06 10:44 am     Reply with quote

My bad Scribble, I thought about that last night after I posted and forgot you were upgrading... Not sure where the best place locally to get one would be. I normally get all my little bullshit accessories like that at ASI, but if they're still close, just go wherever.

I also agree with you others in that the size, etc. of the old Neoprene covered style was better, BUT if you are running Oneline, you're better off with the new Lock-N-Load over the '05 Machine/Oneline upgrade piece which utilized the factory Clip & Ride. I finally got a new L-N-L for JP the other day and installed it on his '05 17" Oneline bar. Not only does the new one spin more freely, but it's build a lot tougher.

Do what you want... Slingy has the best R&D on this kind of shit!

P. to the S. - Sorry about the year. We filmed that video forever ago which is why I said "like" an '03 bar. I was WRONG! Sad

Last edited by Kataku2k3 on Sat Apr 29, 06 10:57 am; edited 2 times in total

importracer9 99

Since 27 Oct 2005
296 Posts

Obsessed

PostSat Apr 29, 06 10:49 am     Reply with quote

yellow end line holders = 2002
Last edited by importracer9 99 on Mon Mar 22, 21 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

kiteboard117

Since 02 Mar 2005
450 Posts
PDX
McLovin

PostSat Apr 29, 06 2:17 pm     Reply with quote

i have been riding the new slingshot chickenloop for a while now and it really works well. it cant actually hit you in the face because when you unhook it pulls up against the hole in the bar and gets rigid. if you manage to hit yourself with it then you would have hit yourself in the head with the bar anyways. compared to the old neoprene one its way easier to hook into and to reload. it doesnt seem any more complex than any other compaines loop it just looks kinda crappy. if the shit hit the fan i would rather be on the new one.

nice pulley bar hein. how did you get a 14 inch bar?

Scribble

Since 18 Nov 2005
636 Posts
NoPo
Addicted

PostSun Apr 30, 06 3:20 pm     Reply with quote

Kataku2k3 wrote:
Okay, that's cool, thanks for that info. Here's what I would do (if you wanna take this route), buy the Oneline upgrade, but don't install it until you get the Lock-N-Load (again, if you want this). The Oneline chicken loop rope is thinner than the older style, dual core Spectra. This is good in that it allows more space (in the hole of the bar) for your Oneline leader to be run through. You also have to remember that when there's tension on the chicken loop rope, it gets a lot thinner. On to what you get and the install... The Oneline upgrade comes with everything you'll need to convert (that is, then new chicken loop rope, and all), so don't even worry about buying anything else. You will however need to buy a new Clip & Ride as you mentioned, if you choose not to go with the Lock-N-Load.

I haven't played with an '03 bar in forever so I don't remember exactly what the leaders are like, but my guess is that you'll have to play with either your centers line's length, or the outers. All I'm really trying to get at is that, since your NEW center "lines" may be longer/shorter, you'll probably have to compensate with the outers. We added the '05-06 "Oh shit" leaders on my roomie's (importracer9 99) old '04 bar when we converted it to Oneline as its original '04 leaders were a bit shorter.

Sorry if I made this more confusing with shitty wording, but it is pretty simple.

Also, I searched around forever for the Lock-N-Load, and if I don't go through ASI (where I normally get my stuff), then I'm going to order online from... Lock-N-Load from oceanextremesports.com

P to the S - I haven't used a Wave Grenade yet, but for the price, I'd definately have one on my setup too. For surely worth its while! All you really need to do to install is, punch a hole through the end of your Oneline leader (where you normally tie the trim loop on), and stitch the ends so it doesn't run either way on ya.

So the new center line leaders make the center lines a lot shorter than the outer lines now. Do I just need to measure them and make all 5 lines exactly the same?

Scribble

Since 18 Nov 2005
636 Posts
NoPo
Addicted

PostSun Apr 30, 06 4:30 pm     Reply with quote

I am guessing that I can just use the old center line leader that has the swivel on it. This way all 4 lines stay the same length. My oneline is way longer though. Any suggestions on how to measure the length I need to make it so it will be dialed in?

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostSun Apr 30, 06 8:40 pm     Reply with quote

You might be able to run the newer ('05-06) rear line leaders with the dual "Oh Shit" handles, if your attachment points on the '03 bar are similar. I'll measure mine tomorrow when I run out my lines to give you an idea on if they'd be any closer.

And as far as setting up your actual Oneline, you have a few different options. First being run it as the kit was intended with Oneline longer than the others, but using the different length factory pigtails that came with the upgrade (for the kite) to compensate. Then the second, newer ('06 SS style), and probably better way is to make all the lines equal (so you'd have to shorten your Oneline), then make a full length pigtail for each of your kites (beginning at the upper leading edge and extending down to wingtip "level")

Again I hope this isn't too complicated in my shitty wording, but if it is I'll draw a little diagram out later.

Scribble

Since 18 Nov 2005
636 Posts
NoPo
Addicted

PostSun Apr 30, 06 9:10 pm     Reply with quote

I think I have all the lines close to equal at this point. I'm using my old 03 center leader lines and shortening the Oneline. I found a post earlier about unstitching the sleave and sliding it down and resewing it so you can make the line shorter. Seems to be working well. I just need to resew it. I just need to figure out what kind of thread to use for resewing it.

I'm sure I'll have more questions.... :O)

Thanks

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostSun Apr 30, 06 9:20 pm     Reply with quote

Yea, that was probably the post that I started about finding the factory SS line length customization kit, eh?

But anyways, that sounds good. I got some thread from Mark at ASI for restitching my lines and it seemed to work well. Don't know exactly what they're made out of though.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: