Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Maui/Big Island Report & the Adventures of PB
Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostSun Mar 05, 06 10:36 am    Maui/Big Island Report & the Adventures of PB Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I landed in Maui on March 3rd at 3:35 & headed strait to kite beach (on the water by 4:20). Yesterday was nice weather, with gusty winds, kited the day on the 10m Turbo Diesel.

Robby Naish & Adam Koch were out on small strapped surf boards shredding the lips & boosting huge airs off of school beach. The small surfboards are the big thing here. Nice 4-6 footers breaking on the reefs. Flash & the Richmond brothers were also out ripping it up!

Rain started to fall last night as I drove up-country to my B&B in Makawao (at the base of Haleakala). Looks like its clearing this morning. Wind forecast looks great all week.

Stay tuned for more pictures & adventures of Purple Bear (PB)…

Wish you were here… ~Dano Cool

Dedicated to pkh & his lil’ 6.5...

rainbow.JPG 
   Aussie Dave loop'n.JPG 
   Euro girl.JPG 
   Looking at Pro Beach, just wishing....JPG 
   One week & counting til the FCC permit is up for renewal.JPG 
   PB.JPG 

Last edited by Onad on Sun Mar 19, 06 8:46 am; edited 1 time in total

Kataku2k3

Since 14 Aug 2005
3753 Posts
Los Angeles, CA
Videographer

PostSun Mar 05, 06 10:48 am     Reply with quote

Awesome pics Dano! Have fun out there and keep us updated! Very Happy

Rico

Since 13 Mar 2005
1219 Posts
Vancouver
Photographer

PostSun Mar 05, 06 8:53 pm    Maui Good, Work Bad Reply with quote

Very nice Dano, rip it up for all of us...................

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSun Mar 05, 06 9:27 pm     Reply with quote

Dano I think you have exceeded your annual allotment of warmth and sunshine for an Oregonian!

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostMon Mar 06, 06 11:47 am     Reply with quote

Yah pkh, my allotment is definitely reaching over-capacity, not. It’s gona be rough for me this spring back in “rain-land.” I’m staying in up-country in Makawao & then Haiku so I have been getting a little of the wet stuff coming down.

This guy, Robert, showed up at Action Beach yesterday with his upgraded video backpack (built from Elliot Leboe specs). He is really funny. He is a total character & riping kiter.
Check out the video he shot yesterday (not edited yet) Arrow http://www.mauisportsnet.tv/Videos/backpackcam2.wmv

Trick analysis w/ commentary (fixed link) Arrow http://www.mauisportsnet.tv/Videos/Howyadothat.wmv

Here is his web site & more videos Arrow http://www.mauisportsnet.tv/

I rode a Globerider GS Sonic 11m kite yesterday. The kite is pretty good but the bar sucks. Gona try to Slingy bar on next time. ~Nad Cool

kite panoramic.JPG 
   Dave with video.JPG 
   gota keep the eye dry.JPG 
   boom cam.JPG 
   Pack.JPG 
   V-camera box.JPG 

Last edited by Onad on Tue Mar 07, 06 11:48 pm; edited 3 times in total

rich

Since 30 Nov 2005
306 Posts
portland
Obsessed

PostMon Mar 06, 06 1:31 pm     Reply with quote

backpak cam rocks balls.

Ya, anyway, it was pretty sweet to check it out from that angle. Those airs were sweet w/ the "Slightly Overhead" view.

Thx for the links and good pics man, have good x's.

MW

Since 09 Jan 2006
186 Posts
Hood River, Oregon
Stoked

PostMon Mar 06, 06 2:56 pm     Reply with quote

Hey Dan,

I live in Portland and will be in Maui on March 8 until March 28 and I have a buddy that lives there, so we could hook up for a couple of sessions if you want. He's getting married and will be busy with all that planning, so I'm looking to hook up with some people to kite with. He apparently knows of this spot where not very many people kite and isn't as crowded. I have my 12m Crossbow, but thought I should probably bring my 8m Nemesis, just in case I can't depower the Crossbow enough. What have the average winds been? Are you getting the rain and flooding that Oahu has been getting? If you get a chance to kite the west side, take advantage. Cool area, and it's fun to watch the tourists with drop jaw because most of them have never seen kiteboarding before. I'll pm you as well and give you my e-mail and phone number if you're interested in hooking up.

matt.willett@hotmail.com
503-309-3495

wano

Since 16 Feb 2006
17 Posts
seattle

PostMon Mar 06, 06 6:47 pm    hawaii Reply with quote

Wow Dano, I'm definitely missing the islands now! Keep the pics comin and rip it up. Rock n' Roll!!

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostTue Mar 07, 06 11:14 pm     Reply with quote

Maui Visual Report... Cool

Yoga at Ho'okipa with PB.JPG 
   Ho'okipa WS Air bail out.JPG 
   Ho'okipa WS Air II wreck.JPG 
   Ho'okipa WS Air I.JPG 
   Surfing at Ho'okipa.JPG 

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostTue Mar 07, 06 11:37 pm     Reply with quote

Part II Cool

Richmond Brothers setting up for some craziness.JPG 
Word is these guys put in at Canoe beach and flipped the boat during a jibe when a gust hit them.  They finally made landfall just down-wind of action beach mast-less.
 Word is these guys put in at Canoe beach and flipped the boat during a jibe when a gust hit them. They finally made landfall just down-wind of action beach mast-less.  Cat Tow.JPG 
   Pro Photo Dude.JPG 

blancoh2o

Since 15 Mar 2005
1153 Posts
Oregon
Phishy

PostWed Mar 08, 06 10:20 am     Reply with quote

Dano,
Are you refering to the pullys in the bridle? I am not a bow kite rider, but have tried most of them made as of yet. If I recall correctly over half of the ones I tried had a pully on the bridle. I might be wrong though....So far, I am staying with conventional kites.

https://kb4c.rallyup.com/kb4c/286ef9/Member

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed Mar 08, 06 4:38 pm    sweet shots! Reply with quote

Looking good Dano... funny I look at these shots right as I glance out my window here at work and see that its going to be a wet and windy walk home!

I am stumped on the difference in the kites. The bow kite guy is holding his bar really low, but maybe that's just because like you said he is setting up for some unhooked action or something.

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostWed Mar 08, 06 11:54 pm     Reply with quote

It’s nothing that technical you “geeks!”

OK, perhaps the question & picture is a little misleading & disregard the red kite.

Hint: the Richmond brothers are riding the yellow kites (you name the manufacture). Is this the same “kite” they were riding at the Red Bull Big Air comp this year?? That is what is different.

Don’t think too hard... “Open your mind grasshopper & let free thought flow in…”

First person to post the correct answer wins a signature pair of pkh Pink NWKite.com Thong Panties!!

I’m off to the island of Moloka’i for an overnighter & kite adventure so I won’t be able to announce the winner until Friday night. See ya then, Nad Cool

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostThu Mar 09, 06 8:23 am     Reply with quote

Let me guess, last year they rode blue kites instead of yellow? Wink

Just kidding, I think I know what you are saying...

Well Dano, you will be happy to know it snowed last night in Portland (a little bit this morning too.) Most of it is melted now but as you'll see from the pic below some of it is lingering. I'd imagine the hills still have a healthy dose on the ground.

I keep telling myself "remember last year first week of March when it was 70 degrees and we were riding at Sauvies...."

Just ain't that kind of year I guess!

Then again, if I had the day off the mountain should be epic today... 20 inches of fresh and 15 degrees.

snow_in_pdx_march_9_2006.jpg 

Bettyboarder

Since 18 Mar 2005
1823 Posts
PDX/ White Salmon
Mrs. Site Lackey

PostThu Mar 09, 06 10:32 am     Reply with quote

Quote:
Hint: the Richmond brothers are riding the yellow kites (you name the manufacture). Is this the same “kite” they were riding at the Red Bull Big Air comp this year?? That is what is different.

One's on a crossbow and one's not Question

bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostThu Mar 09, 06 12:32 pm     Reply with quote

No longer NAISH... Cabrina Boys NOW!!!

And, it is actually Richman (Shawn and Jesse)....

That is all, Bam

Bettyboarder

Since 18 Mar 2005
1823 Posts
PDX/ White Salmon
Mrs. Site Lackey

PostThu Mar 09, 06 1:19 pm     Reply with quote

Quote:
No longer NAISH... Cabrina Boys NOW!!!

And, it is actually Richman (Shawn and Jesse)....

That is all, Bam

Looks like they were riding Cabrina at the Red Bull contest in 2005 or did nash make a yellow kite?
http://www.redbullkingoftheair.com/action.php[/quote]

shawn at redbull.jpg 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: