Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

beginners review of a waroo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostSat Mar 04, 06 7:25 pm    beginners review of a waroo Reply with quote

I posted this on kiteforum.com, thought I might post it here too.

The first flight, I rigged the rear bridle at the 2nd knot from the end. I figured this would lenghten the rear lines and offer less power to the kite. In addition, I rigged the depower strap to have basically no power. When I launched, the kite didn't want to fly easily. I worked it up, and then tuned the depower strap to have a little more mmmph. I liked it where the kite would fully depower at about 1/2-3/4 of the way out with the bar. I know this isn't optimal, but it removed the fear for me. I went out and body dragged just to get a good feel for the response of the kite, etc. Got cold, came back in.

The second flight, I moved the rear bridle lines to the 3rd knot from the end (where kinsley recommended). When I launched, the kite had a lot more power and seemed quicker. I had to play with the depower strap again until I got it to a comfortable place. At first, there was too much power for me, but I finally got it tuned to about the same place...about 1/2-3/4 release of the bar shut the kite down. This allowed me to just relax my arms a bit to begin slowing the kite down, and yet have plenty of power with the bar pulled all the way in. I took my board out the 2nd time and actually cruised a bit out. I have a directional board, so rather than messing with turning the board around, I stopped at a reasonable distance, then board drug/walked back in and did it again.

I crashed the kite twice the 2nd time out. Both times, I was messing with getting in the board. Each time, by the time I faced the kite, it was sitting on one edge waiting to be launched. I rocked the bar a little bit to free the water off of the edge, and it lifted gently in the sky. Easier to relaunch than my foil kite.

My 2nd time out, I could park the kite and just let it pulll me. I felt like I had it adjusted perfectly for the wind, which had picked up a bit on the 2nd time out.

I have to say, this is a great kite/bar combination. I don't have a lot of experience (none) with any other brands, but it was so easy for me to grasp.

A manual would be great for all the settings there are. There are 6 knots on the rear bridle. Does it get quicker/more power the further up you go? How far is too far? What about the knots on the rear line at the handle? If I lengthen, does the kite get slower? What about the depower strap? Where is optimal? etc... I don't really feel like these are necessarily "beginner" questions, though I could be wrong. It's more of how to get the most out of the kite.

the Waroo rocks. I mean it really rocks. I'm stoked.
-brett

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: