Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Sand Spit Parking Fee
Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  

PostWed May 11, 05 11:45 am    Wind and Water are free....it should remain that way. Reply with quote

Nobody cares about a paved road or bathrooms except the guys giving lessons.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSun May 15, 05 9:38 am     Reply with quote

http://www.hoodrivernews.com/News%20stories/039%20news%203.htm

colby

Since 23 Apr 2005
613 Posts
Celebrity
Photographer

PostSun May 15, 05 9:51 am     Reply with quote

we'll see if they can tame the 'wild west'!

....you have to wonder how much of the ongoing cost is going to be the person sitting in the booth broiling all summer long....a couple of large informational signs at the top of the sand ramp down to the spit would have been smarter and cheaper if this is really about recouping costs.

You can almost see it now...someone pulls up to the booth and asks what this kiting thing is all about, after a two minute explanation and a couple of cars have backed up behind him, he decides the $2 fee isn't for him so pulls a U turn in the road (did they plan a spot for this?)...maybe it will be less hassle to park before the gravel entrance and hoof it in, or kite somewhere else...but that's the point of this anyway right?

BigR

PostMon May 16, 05 7:30 am     Reply with quote

Can we still hoof it in or bike in w/o being raped for two $?
Sounds like they only want to charge vehicles

Ian

PostMon May 16, 05 7:38 am     Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Nobody cares about a paved road or bathrooms except the guys giving lessons.

I am down at the sandbar every day all summer, for all day. I even help give lessons, but now I have to pay 50 dollars to do that. I could care less about the gay road. The only thing good that came out of leveling the parking lot, was that nice new big path down to the sandbar. But other then that they should have never touched a thing.

PostMon May 16, 05 8:44 am     Reply with quote

The new sand ramp probably had everything to do with emergency road access etc . . . for the emergency crews and port. . . than kiter comfort and ease of use.

It is what is it, enjoy this last week of FREEdom because the port isn't going to miss an opportunity like next weekend's influx of Canadians. I'm guessing the fee starts next weekend.

If you want some trees back, i'd contact the port and explain the benefits of the trees etc. . . I would think that the port would be all over a line of trees on the new mounds of sand and dirt lining the perimeter. You know roots and the soil retention properties they hold. A line of 3'' diameter nursery trees would on the west side would be shady in no time.

PostTue May 17, 05 8:42 am     Reply with quote

How about parking by the pedestrian footbridge and walking out?

PostTue May 17, 05 1:05 pm     Reply with quote

nobody seems to know if there is a "walk-in" fee?!?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: