Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Sauvies Sensor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Apr 26, 05 12:50 pm    Sauvies Sensor Reply with quote

Just noticed this on the Sauvies Forecast on IWindsurf:

Quote:
We have actively sought a suitable location to house a sensor on Sauvie's Island. The suggestions that came forward just haven't been in quality positions and the most promising potential host has simply not responded to repeated efforts. Thus our search continues and we would really appreciate any on-the-ground scouting that could be done on our behalf. Please forward any leads to shill@weatherflow.com.

I wonder what locations they are talking about? Has anyone tried talking to the guy with the house that's right there?

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostTue Apr 26, 05 1:21 pm     Reply with quote

It'd be great to hang one on one of those big pylons out in the water....no tree interference...wonder who's in charge of those.

Ahh, but it's so fun to try and second guess the Scabjuice sensor, you know, where SE3 really means NW12.

There's always the Fremont (which is currently showing some promise at N6-11.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostTue Apr 26, 05 2:15 pm     Reply with quote

a little birdie told me 14

BYE! Wave

trevorsmith

Since 25 Apr 2005
501 Posts
PDX
Addicted

PostWed Apr 27, 05 7:09 am    Re: Sauvies Sensor Reply with quote

I think Fish and Wildlife has a sensor, right when you come into the Fee parking area, I have sent them an e-mail but have not heard back yet to see if it is publicly available. There is a little shack behind the trees and a wind meter.

I doubt the guy in the white house will help, what this "Guy" I talk to that lives on Suavies, A. Hates us Kiteboarders, B. said that guy is also pissed at us cause people keep bothering him. C. is trying to get Kiteboarding banned from Sauvie's.

So be careful when small kids, parents and fisherman, are around, we don't want to loose the spot cause some dumb ass thought it would be cool to practice handle passes on the beach.

Trevor--

PostWed Apr 27, 05 9:46 am     Reply with quote

I believe that is a DEQ monitoring station. If you want to know more "Dano" went down that path last year. Doesn't seem like it is positioned very well to get a true reading of what the wind is doing.

trevorsmith

Since 25 Apr 2005
501 Posts
PDX
Addicted

PostWed Apr 27, 05 10:04 am     Reply with quote

You are correct:
http://www.deq.state.or.us/lab/aqm/portlandsauvieisland.htm

But even if it is protected, it would at least give us a reading of something if we can find out if its published on the web.

I sent them an e-mail to see if they have the info publicly available.

I think I found a way to get 1 hour increments from Suavie Island DEQ station..I will update as I get more info.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed Apr 27, 05 10:33 am     Reply with quote

Why does this "guy" that lives in the white house HATE kiteboarders? Did he give specific reasons why he hates kiteboarders? what did we do to him other than walk on his property to talk to him? Details please. Is this gentleman older like 60s or 70s? Does he hate any other groups like the fishermen who litter with their gear and beer, the teenage kids getting their "drink on, smoke" and later get their "poke on"--Snoop Dog I believe.

And what about the families who bring unleashed dogs and kids and scatter used diapers all over the beach, not to mention all types of trash. I suspect he is sick of it all. Not that i have not seen kiters with unleashed dogs. Side note to dog owners, they use the leash law to protect people be more so its for the wildlife or what is left of it ie Sand Pippers etc...

This makes me mad because we, being the kiting community are probably the kindest to the beach meaning we don't litter, pay the parking fees and clean up the beach where we use it.

I think that we as a kiting community need to get a pulse on the SI community board/association to ascertain their mood and potential actions. I would hate to lose that location, fickle wind and all, its still a urban gem.

trevorsmith

Since 25 Apr 2005
501 Posts
PDX
Addicted

PostWed Apr 27, 05 10:41 am     Reply with quote

The guy I talked to did not live in the white house, but knows the guy that does. I don't know if the guy I meet was just having a bad day, or just does not like people using the beach (non-fisherman) that he has fished for the last 30 years. But people will think us KB'ers leave the trash, empty beer cans, cause were new and they don't like it. So keep it clean and safe.

No different when Windsurfers started seeing KB'ers at their beaches, and Skiiers had to deal with Snowboarders on "thier" mountain. It just the way people are.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostWed Apr 27, 05 11:57 am     Reply with quote

trevorsmith wrote:
You are correct:
http://www.deq.state.or.us/lab/aqm/portlandsauvieisland.htm

But even if it is protected, it would at least give us a reading of something if we can find out if its published on the web.

I sent them an e-mail to see if they have the info publicly available.

I think I found a way to get 1 hour increments from Suavie Island DEQ station..I will update as I get more info.

Holy crap that could be perfect! Check out the map of where it is, almost right there. Of course it could be in a shadow...

If you figure out how to get the data send it in PM to "MikeS" ... he's the one who does the nwwind.net site.

portlandSauvieIsland_area_mapsm.jpg 

trevorsmith

Since 25 Apr 2005
501 Posts
PDX
Addicted

PostThu Apr 28, 05 6:58 am    Here is the link for the Sauvie's sensor Reply with quote

http://www.deq.state.or.us/lab/aqm/RTconcRequest.htm

Choose Suavie Island, all, then click submit

The senor seems to lag about 2 hrs behind, but seems to be pretty close to actual wind speed. Direction appears to be right on.

There is also a button for previous day so keep an eye on it and see how close you really think it is.

jts

Since 03 Mar 2005
26 Posts
gorge

PostThu Apr 28, 05 7:09 am     Reply with quote

Here is a short-cut that seems to work for me ...

http://www.deq.state.or.us/lab/aqm/RThourlyConc.asp?StaNo=14152&Para=All

kt

Since 16 Mar 2005
759 Posts
Portland, Or
Opinionated

PostThu Apr 28, 05 8:13 am    Re: Here is the link for the Sauvie's sensor Reply with quote

trevorsmith wrote:
http://www.deq.state.or.us/lab/aqm/RTconcRequest.htm

Choose Suavie Island, all, then click submit

The senor seems to lag about 2 hrs behind, but seems to be pretty close to actual wind speed. Direction appears to be right on.

There is also a button for previous day so keep an eye on it and see how close you really think it is.

hey trevor,

thanks for the link. when i go here and click submit, what paramater should i choose WS(V) or WS/RUN ? are they the same?

thanks
kt

trevorsmith

Since 25 Apr 2005
501 Posts
PDX
Addicted

PostThu Apr 28, 05 8:15 am     Reply with quote

use this link that jts sent:

http://www.deq.state.or.us/lab/aqm/RThourlyConc.asp?StaNo=14152&Para=All

(All will give you Wind Speed and Direction)

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostThu Apr 28, 05 6:32 pm     Reply with quote

Well I put together a parser for it that should make it pretty easy for Mike to tackle. The only trouble is that it looks like it doesn't update very often, even when you account for DST (it uses standard time) its still often 1.5 hours off. I wonder if its because the hour it shows the wind speed under is the average for that hour, rather than the last time it updated.

Anyway you slice it, its good to have more data!

Onad

Since 04 Mar 2005
1435 Posts
Coast<<PDX>>Gorge
XTreme Poster

PostThu Apr 28, 05 7:14 pm    Re: Sauvies Sensor Reply with quote

[quote="pkh"]Just noticed this on the Sauvies Forecast on IWindsurf:

Quote:
We have actively sought a suitable location to house a sensor on Sauvie's Island. The suggestions that came forward just haven't been in quality positions and the most promising potential host has simply not responded to repeated efforts. Thus our search continues and we would really appreciate any on-the-ground scouting that could be done on our behalf. Please forward any leads to shill@weatherflow.com.

You guys finally found the site. Wink I have been working with DEQ to get the data from this site to iKitesurf so we can all get it on-the-go. Don't bother sending the site location to shill@weatherflow.com, I have already done so. Hopefully we they will be able to work out the perceived time delay in the readings to make this data useful for everyone. ~Dano

mikes

Since 13 Mar 2005
90 Posts
B'Ham

PostThu Apr 28, 05 10:07 pm     Reply with quote

I should be able to get it on my page tomorrow. I started it but had too much to do this evening to get it finished

Mike S

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: