Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Say Goodbye to NWS and NOAA forcasts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  

PostFri Apr 22, 05 8:43 pm    Say Goodbye to NWS and NOAA forcasts Reply with quote

If you don't act soon!

Senator Rick Santorum from PA has been lobbied by commercial weather corporations to introduce legislation to stop free NWS and NOAA publication of weather information.

More information:

http://rawstory.com/exclusives/byrne/santorum_weather_ban_accuweather_421.htm

Take a moment to write your senator:

Ron Wyden – OR http://wyden.senate.gov
Gordon Smith – OR http://gsmith.senate.gov
Rick Santorum – PA http://santorum.senate.gov

While you are at it check out Rick’s fan site: http://www.spreadingsantorum.com

danimal

Since 03 Mar 2005
12 Posts

PostFri Apr 22, 05 8:47 pm     Reply with quote

Damn it! posted as guest.

Am I the only one who has a problem posting on the site? It seems like everytime I have to login 2x or else it posts as guest?

Danimal

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSat Apr 23, 05 6:56 am     Reply with quote

I have noticed that problem with other phpBB forums, but not this one yet. Could be though. I usually just check the remember my password box.

Those wacky senators always with the bribes and what not. Only if one of them kiteboarded they might understand the value of the NWS! Oh wait... Wink

Dr Sloth

Since 05 Mar 2005
27 Posts

PostSat Apr 23, 05 9:23 am     Reply with quote

Wow! They have contributed a whopping $3k to this Senator Santorum to help support what they want. I do not know, but $3k seems more like the amount one would pay for a whore. Rolling Eyes

jp

Since 04 Mar 2005
87 Posts
wherever there are whitecaps

PostSat Apr 23, 05 4:16 pm     Reply with quote

danimal.....no, you're not the only one....seems like I type a reply, then hit preview to check..and then hit submit....I've become guest... Rolling Eyes

jp

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSun Apr 24, 05 7:42 am     Reply with quote

I just got it to happen to me this morning, I have seen this happen with other phpBB instances so I think it must be a problem with the forums package. I will look around.

Till I figure something out, its always worked great for me to just use the "Log me on automatically each visit" option, that way you don't even have to bother with the login.

jp

Since 04 Mar 2005
87 Posts

PostSun Apr 24, 05 2:58 pm     Reply with quote

yeah..it must be something with the phBBB forums format...no worries

I did hit the Log-in auto feature.. thanks

good to go!

and as for Rick Santorum's assinine proposal......BOOO -HISSSSS !!!!

jp

jp

Since 04 Mar 2005
87 Posts

PostSun Apr 24, 05 3:13 pm     Reply with quote

ok..just wrote a letter to Senator Santorum ... why i disagree with his potential proposal..

united we stand divided we fall

anyone else?

jp

KiteKarl

Since 02 Mar 2005
213 Posts
Stockton, California
Stoked

PostSun Apr 24, 05 4:20 pm     Reply with quote

I wrote him too and told him that I would write my local reps as well.

Dr Sloth

Since 05 Mar 2005
27 Posts

PostThu Apr 28, 05 7:48 am     Reply with quote

Okay, got off my arse and wrote the Senators. I also urge others to write the Senators about this.

I have another issue about this Initiative that is unrelated to free weather reports for wind tracking. I live in a tsunami zone and we can't hear audible sirens where we live. I am 100% dependant upon a weather radio that is NOAA capable to receive those alerts and fear that the Initiative will affect those alerts in some way. Speculation is that those alerts are not supposed to be affected, but when a business can tap into a government provided service that is widely used and then charge for it, who knows what these big business weather companies will try and do.

I am posting this information so as you can have additional information to add to your letter if you feel the need. It may not directly affect you, but it will make the cause seem more important than just a "silly sport" or "silly hobby".

I am posting my letter that I sent:

Quote:
Senator Santorum,

This letter is to inform you of my displeasure with your Initiative; National Weather Services Duties Act of 2005.

I do not believe that the Initiative will help the public. To me, the Initiative seems to be a way that big business will get a hold of a sector of business that currently is used among a large percentage of our population but where business has not been able to tap that money because there are great non-charged sources, NWA and NOAA. Why is it then that you receive money from AccuWeather? Please do not allow this Initiative to happen.

I personally use many different sensors for personal weather tracking for my hobby. More importantly, I also use NOAA for receiving emergency alerts as I live full-time in an area that could some day have an emergency similar to the tsunami that happened 5 months ago in Asia. Do you remember the tsunami in Asia on December 26th, 2004? There is no audible tsunami warning system that my family can hear from our house so I am absolutely dependant upon the alerts sent by NOAA.

Is AccuWeather going to install audible tsunami warning systems for public use along our populated coasts? I do not think they will lift a finger unless there are profits tied to those presumed actions. That of course is assuming that a company like AccuWeather would even consider helping communities.

PLEASE DO THE RIGHT THING and stop the National Weather Services Duties Act of 2005.

signed

danimal

Since 03 Mar 2005
12 Posts

PostThu May 05, 05 10:49 am     Reply with quote

Here is a link to an online petition if you are so inclined:

http://www.ipetitions.com/campaigns/SaveTheNWS/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: