Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

5th Line Bars

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
jts

Since 03 Mar 2005
26 Posts
gorge

PostFri Apr 22, 05 3:23 pm    5th Line Bars Reply with quote

Any opinions on a 5th Line Bar, I had my kite retrofitted by Airtime with a 5th Line attachment and want to upgrade my bar. I have an old 2003 SS bar, so I was naturally looking at the OneLine for $140. Any easy home-brewed ways to accomplish something similar?

Also, does BEST 2004s have a 5th Line Attachment that would work, or does it need to be reinforced or added? I am hoping to pick up a used 14m '04 and was hoping it would work with the 5th Line system.

Cheers,
jason

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostFri Apr 22, 05 6:12 pm     Reply with quote

The Best kites made towards the end of the year started coming with the reinforced 5th line attachment. You could also get the 5th line attachment bridle that goes around the middle strut and supposedly works great.

I got a slingshot one-line bar on order. Its pretty outrageous that it costs $140 just for a chicken loop and a single line, but they seem to have the slickest system out right now so I'll pay.

KiteKarl knows about home rigged 5th lines...

KiteKarl

Since 02 Mar 2005
213 Posts
Stockton, California
Stoked

PostFri Apr 22, 05 11:44 pm     Reply with quote

I ghetto rig all my stuff. My proficiency at laziness has driven me to ride 5th lines for 3 seasons now. I've got 02 and 03 slingy bars and I just run the 5th through the center on all of em. Also, any of the pump leash attachments on the bests are plenty strong enough. Do it, you'll like it if you're a lazy ass like me. Razz

jts

Since 03 Mar 2005
26 Posts
gorge

PostSat Apr 23, 05 8:17 am     Reply with quote

thanks guys - I forgot, my chickenloop is the shackle/QR which I want to replace too - that will add to the cost b/c I assume the OneLine only comes with a new chickenloop and assumes you have a compatiable centerline ...

I might need to make a trip over to ASI with my bar to see if they can help me figure out what I need to do, basically I have a $500 budget that I am trying to squeeze out a 13/14m kite and get my bar set-up for 5th Line.

Having a clean set-up would be ideal, but the difference I save on upgrading my bar goes straight into a kite.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSat Apr 23, 05 8:35 am     Reply with quote

If you want to use a shackle I am not sure the oneline would be the best. 5th lines are really pretty simple, you just need a couple stopper balls. One to tie to the end to keep it from going through the bar, and one to keep the bar from sliding too far up the 5th line when you let go. Run the line through the center of the bar with the chicken loop, attach the other end to the pump leash. Done!

You will probably have to play around with the length of the line and positioning of the stopper ball. You will have to do that with any 5th line though. If you want to use the 5th line as a leash attach it to your harness somewhere.

Good luck! Thumb's Up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: