Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

UFO V2 Measurements

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostMon Apr 11, 22 11:40 pm    UFO V2 Measurements Reply with quote

I received a 9m UFO. Here are some measurements:

According to my scale it weighs 4.25 pounds. However, my scale also weighs a 2Kg reference weight at 4.48 pounds, when it should weigh 4.41 pounds. Taking into account that error, the 9m weighs 4.18 pounds which is very slightly less than advertised. (4.19 pounds vs 4.18 pounds.) Very nice to see an advertised weight that is not only realistic, but a tiny bit conservative! My 9m V1.1 UFO weighs in at 4.48 pounds after correction. So the V2 9m is .3 pounds lighter than the V1.1 as weighed on my scale back to back.

The V2 9m is just slightly larger than the V1.1 9m. Wing chord is about 2" greater and wing span is 2" - 4" greater.

The LE material of both kites mic's out at just over .6 mm thick doubled up. LE diameter is identical, or so close I can't tell, between the two.

The bridal diameter mic's out at 1.6 mm on the V2 and 2.1 mm on the V1.1 The bridal is visibly smaller in diameter on the V2. This should make the V2 faster for sure.

The bridal has different geometry on the V2. Check the pictures. With the bridal tight except for the line with the bungee, the V2 bridal crosses the trailing edge considerably more inboard than the V1.1 bridal does.

The center line pigtails are improved. The older Slingshot pigtails would kind of jam as you opened up the larks head to detach the lines. The new version fixes this issue. A small, but appreciated, detail.

I have yet to fly the V2; that probably will happen in the first week of May. TBH, I am more concerned with how the kite feels and how fast it is than the fact that it weighs less. If the kite feels lighter at the control bar I'll be ecstatic. The UFO is already exceptionally light. I'm hoping that: the design has been tweaked and that combined with the thinner bridles it makes the kite faster and more responsive. Mostly I care about the 8m and the 11m being more responsive than the V1.1 7m and 9m respectively. Actually, if the 8m feels as good as the V1.1 7m and the 11m feels as good as the V1.1 9m, I'll be thrilled. That will make the 6-5-4 combination killer for stronger winds, and the 8m-11m perfect for lighter winds. I'm completely happy with the V1.1 5m as it sits, and I imagine the 4m will be even better.

The 11m should be considerably lighter than the one strut 12m kites, about 2 pounds lighter than my current 12m. That should hopefully make the 11m faster; it should be a light wind killer. If so, I'll be happy. EDITED: https://www.thekiteboarder.com/2022/04/07/tkb-review-2022-slingshot-ufo-v2/ apparently the 11m is in fact a light wind killer.

20220411_235102 (Custom).jpg 
   20220411_234822 (Custom).jpg 
   20220411_235958 (Custom).jpg 
   20220411_235937 (Custom).jpg 
   20220411_235813 (Custom).jpg 

watercamper

Since 08 Sep 2017
86 Posts
Boise

PostTue Apr 12, 22 3:10 pm     Reply with quote

For those of us with older, arthritic thumbs, the ease of undoing the pigtails will surely be much appreciated! I finally added pigtails to all my UFOs so that I didn't have to ask my wife to undo my lines!! Hoping you'll post your thoughts after you fly it!

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostMon Apr 18, 22 4:18 pm     Reply with quote

I received an 8m and an 11m; I was too slow to score a 4m. Another month or so probably. The 8m weighs very slightly less than advertised, about an ounce. The 11m weighs very slightly more than advertised by about an ounce. Either way, well within the slight production variance expected. Again, it is so great to see advertised weights actually reflect reality!!

I should get an opportunity to try both the 11m and the 8m in Mexico in a couple of weeks and will report my impressions. In particular, I should see some VERY light winds and see how the 11m does in those conditions. The V1.1 UFO 9m just was almost, but not quite, as good as my one strut 12m kite. We'll see if that's changed, and if the UFO can take the light wind crown. Very Happy

watercamper

Since 08 Sep 2017
86 Posts
Boise

PostMon Apr 18, 22 6:57 pm     Reply with quote

Houston Kiteboarding still had some 4m's last time I checked.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostMon Apr 18, 22 9:54 pm     Reply with quote

watercamper wrote:
Houston Kiteboarding still had some 4m's last time I checked.

Thanks for the heads up, but they are gone. Not a big deal for me, I won't likely need a 4m until after the next shipment hits any way.

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostTue Apr 19, 22 9:53 am    UFO Reply with quote

I'm also excited to for the new 9M. Nak curious to hear how you like those bigger kites in Baja. I love my 7M ufo for light winds. I never went bigger as fore me the limitation tended to be the ability to keep a bigger kite in the air in the lulls. Hoping the redesign will make the 9M better.

KeyserSoze

Since 01 Jan 2010
17 Posts
Calgary, AB

PostTue Apr 19, 22 3:37 pm     Reply with quote

Those new UFO's look sweet. I'll be in the Gorge in May with a quiver of Voids if you want to demo one. I'm curious to see how it compares back to back with the UFO.
Last edited by KeyserSoze on Tue Apr 19, 22 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostTue Apr 19, 22 4:19 pm    Re: UFO Reply with quote

user124 wrote:
I'm also excited to for the new 9M. Nak curious to hear how you like those bigger kites in Baja. I love my 7M ufo for light winds. I never went bigger as fore me the limitation tended to be the ability to keep a bigger kite in the air in the lulls. Hoping the redesign will make the 9M better.

My quiver this year will be 4-5-6-8-11. The V1.1 5m and the V2 8m & 11m are coming with me to Cancun. I thought the 9m V1.1 did pretty well in light winds, but keeping it in the air was absolutely it's low end limiting factor, and why I kept a one strut 12m. I won't be able to compare the 9m to the V1.1 though. I'm guessing the 8m will have plenty of grunt as soon as the wind is above 10 knots, and the 11m is supposed to be pretty amazing below 10. Usually Cancun in May has some 6 - 7 knot--and less--days so I plan on putting it to the test. Bringing the 5m to Cancun in May is probably pointless, but it's so small and light I figure "why not?"

KeyserSoze

Since 01 Jan 2010
17 Posts
Calgary, AB

PostTue Apr 19, 22 4:46 pm    Re: UFO Reply with quote

Nak wrote:
user124 wrote:

My quiver this year will be 4-5-6-8-11. The V1.1 5m and the V2 8m & 11m are coming with me to Cancun. I thought the 9m V1.1 did pretty well in light winds, but keeping it in the air was absolutely it's low end limiting factor, and why I kept a one strut 12m. I won't be able to compare the 9m to the V1.1 though. I'm guessing the 8m will have plenty of grunt as soon as the wind is above 10 knots, and the 11m is supposed to be pretty amazing below 10. Usually Cancun in May has some 6 - 7 knot--and less--days so I plan on putting it to the test. Bringing the 5m to Cancun in May is probably pointless, but it's so small and light I figure "why not?"

That's the best part of strutless kites. I'll bring mine even if there is no wind forecasted because you don't even notice it in a bag. Takes up as much room as a sweatshirt. I found a 10m was comparable to a 12m single strut riding a surfboard in lighter winds.

Kiteboardr

Since 10 May 2021
4 Posts

Kook

PostThu Apr 21, 22 5:00 pm    UFO V2 - compatible with a Cabrinha X1 52cm bar? Reply with quote

Hello all,

Does anyone know if this new UFO (9 or 11M) would be compatible with a Cabrinha X1 52cm bar?

Thank you all for your time,
B

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostThu Apr 21, 22 6:19 pm    Re: UFO V2 - compatible with a Cabrinha X1 52cm bar? Reply with quote

Kiteboardr wrote:
Hello all,

Does anyone know if this new UFO (9 or 11M) would be compatible with a Cabrinha X1 52cm bar?

Thank you all for your time,
B

Yes that combo works fine.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: