Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Wings 101

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
tree

Since 29 May 2007
147 Posts
Bend, OR
Stoked

PostWed Mar 09, 22 1:54 pm    Wings 101 Reply with quote

I'm going to take the wing foiling plunge this year. How much difference is there from one wing to the next? Any clear favorites (or losers to avoid)?

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostWed Mar 09, 22 3:23 pm    Wings Reply with quote

I assume you are asking about hand wings, not foils.

I'm no expert but I think the manufacturers are still figuring it out. Eventually I suspect like kites, wings will diverge into designs for specific purposes. Some better for jumping (more upward lift), some better for up wind (maybe thinner leading edge) and some better for flagging out while riding swell/surf (lighter weight, balanced for flagging).

Lot's of Slingshot slingwing, F-One, Naish, Cabrinha, Ozone, etc on the water last year. I think any of the new gen designs from these is adequate for learning. Then once you know how you want to ride you can start to choose wings that fit your needs.

tree

Since 29 May 2007
147 Posts
Bend, OR
Stoked

PostWed Mar 09, 22 5:04 pm     Reply with quote

User - yes, I'm asking about the wings. With foils and boards, I think there's enough overlap with kite foiling that I can more or less know what I want. But the wings are totally new for me.

juandesooka

Since 21 Jan 2014
96 Posts

PostWed Mar 09, 22 5:33 pm     Reply with quote

there were some dogs in Gen 1 maybe even Gen 2, but I think all the name brand wings are now all pretty solid. Each has pros/cons, but probably all workable. As u124 says, we're starting to see brands offering specialized designs for specific purposes.

If buying older used, the ozone and f-one gen1 have seemed to hold up best, they were among the last to upgrade, as there wasn't any need to. Older wings get "bagged out" as the material stretches, but they still work, just lose some bottom end and gain some top end in the wind range.

hilton

Since 15 Aug 2008
787 Posts

Opinionated

PostWed Mar 09, 22 7:32 pm    Wing Evolution Reply with quote

It seems like most manufacturers are going away from the overwhelming number of individual handles or rigid booms and settling on 2-3 of the soft "long" handles.
Also realizing that the Y handles aren't really necessary.
As for windows, it seems like they are never in the right place and cause problems when folding and packing the wings, so they are slowly going away but may be replaced by the fully transparent wing materials like the new Reedin Super Wing X - only time will tell.
There are lots of good deals out there on first or second generation wings as most manufacturers are now selling their third or even fourth generation designs.

tree

Since 29 May 2007
147 Posts
Bend, OR
Stoked

PostMon Mar 14, 22 8:38 am     Reply with quote

Thanks all.

lineman

Since 05 Feb 2009
170 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Mar 16, 22 1:39 pm     Reply with quote

Tree, here is the answer your looking for.
F one wings are good all generations.
Ozone stay away unless you are in good wind conditions.
Nash complete garbage
Slingshot v2 is good as is most v2 from other top brands.

Basically F one, Slingshot, Cabrinha, Ensis. Look for those & u will be fine. The more wind,the less u will notice a crappy wing, and vise versa. Also, it’s boring as hell unless you are riding waves or swell. Good time to jump in as most of the hype is over and people are getting rid of thier hardly used equipment.

Thatspec

Since 17 Mar 2008
115 Posts
Ptucky
Stoked

PostSat Mar 19, 22 9:43 am     Reply with quote

lineman wrote:
Tree, here is the answer your looking for.
F one wings are good all generations.
Ozone stay away unless you are in good wind conditions.
Nash complete garbage
Slingshot v2 is good as is most v2 from other top brands.

Basically F one, Slingshot, Cabrinha, Ensis. Look for those & u will be fine. The more wind,the less u will notice a crappy wing, and vise versa. Also, it’s boring as hell unless you are riding waves or swell. Good time to jump in as most of the hype is over and people are getting rid of thier hardly used equipment.

Fortunately posts are editable Shocked

tree

Since 29 May 2007
147 Posts
Bend, OR
Stoked

PostThu Apr 07, 22 8:22 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the info everyone.

What size(s) should I be looking at for wings? I'll be doing my flailing in the gorge and weigh approximately 190. If anyone has a good starter wing with some life left let me know. Thanks

Tburd21

Since 24 Jun 2019
38 Posts

PostThu Apr 07, 22 5:07 pm     Reply with quote

I have some great starter wings I am planning to sell - just sent you a PM

flipper

Since 17 Oct 2011
320 Posts

Obsessed

PostFri Apr 08, 22 8:30 am     Reply with quote

A 5 and a 3.5 will get you through the season.

tree wrote:
Thanks for all of the info everyone.

What size(s) should I be looking at for wings? I'll be doing my flailing in the gorge and weigh approximately 190. If anyone has a good starter wing with some life left let me know. Thanks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: