Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Control bar compatibility cross-brand?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Aaron

Since 27 Sep 2017
20 Posts

PostSun Jan 24, 21 3:23 pm    Control bar compatibility cross-brand? Reply with quote

How well do control bars work with different brands of kite? I have Ocean Rodeo and F-One kites but have never tried each kite with the other brand’s bar.

I understand importance of low v/high y. Assuming that is a match how versatile are bars and is it ok crossing brands or is it worth owning multiple brand bars?
I have an aging F-One kite to replace and and new(2019) Linx bar.
Not sure whether to replace the kite w/a new F-one Bandit to match my new bar or with a different kite brand I also have enjoyed like Ocean Rodeo Prodigy, Naish Pivot, or Slingshot Rally GT that I can find a better deal on.

Advice?
Very Happy

phill

Since 26 May 2016
56 Posts

PostSun Jan 24, 21 4:40 pm    Control bar compatibility cross-brand? Reply with quote

What is the importance of low V vs high V bars with different kites?

What effect does this have as I have a UFO , normally used with a low V bar , but I only have a high V bar.?

How does it affect the flying ?

Since 2008 I have never crossed brands.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSun Jan 24, 21 6:09 pm    Re: Control bar compatibility cross-brand? Reply with quote

phill wrote:
What is the importance of low V vs high V bars with different kites?

What effect does this have as I have a UFO , normally used with a low V bar , but I only have a high V bar.?

How does it affect the flying ?

Kites are designed and tested on their own bars. Fly a UFO with a high V bar and you'll be the first to see how it affects it. Nobody knows until it's tried... At a guess I'd say the odds are that it will degrade flight quality somewhat.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSun Jan 24, 21 6:19 pm    Re: Control bar compatibility cross-brand? Reply with quote

Aaron wrote:
How well do control bars work with different brands of kite? I have Ocean Rodeo and F-One kites but have never tried each kite with the other brand’s bar.

I understand importance of low v/high y. Assuming that is a match how versatile are bars and is it ok crossing brands or is it worth owning multiple brand bars?
Very Happy

Issues:
1: Are the bar and the kite both designed for equal length lines? If not, then not compatible.

2: Is the bar safety line compatible with the kite? Both designed to use either front or rear line and safety line length deployment length. If not, then not compatible.

3. High V vs Low V the same? If not, then not compatible.

4. Is depower throw compatible? Not too much and not too little? If not, then not compatible.

5. Is bar width compatible with kite requirements? Not too long and not too short? If not, then not compatible.

6. Are kook proof line/kite connections compatible or able to be changed? If not, then not compatible.

7. Are the number of lines compatible? (Four line vs five line.) If not, then not compatible.

Aaron

Since 27 Sep 2017
20 Posts

PostMon Jan 25, 21 7:55 am     Reply with quote

Thanks Nak! Sounds like I’ll just need to experiment. I’m aware of your listed issues, just weighing pros and cons of having bars that match kite brands. Could be fun to own 3 different kite brands in my quiver but then would it be worth having to lug along 3 different bars? I already own Ocean Rodeo and F-One but haven’t tried mixing the bars/kites.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostMon Jan 25, 21 9:44 am     Reply with quote

Aaron wrote:
Thanks Nak! Sounds like I’ll just need to experiment. I’m aware of your listed issues, just weighing pros and cons of having bars that match kite brands. Could be fun to own 3 different kite brands in my quiver but then would it be worth having to lug along 3 different bars? I already own Ocean Rodeo and F-One but haven’t tried mixing the bars/kites.

Food for thought.

I have a bar for every kite. I leave my lines on which makes setup easier and faster.

I have found over the years that a kite and a bar tend to wear out about the same time so I feel in the long run it doesn't cost me any more money. I also am one to repair my gear (both kites and bars) to extend lifespan. So, I replace my depower line on my bars regularly, and have my kite guy repair my kite as required.

Regarding lugging around extra bars, your kitebag is heavier but as the bar is wrapped in your kite you really don't notice it. Bags are about the same size and a bar on the inside of a kitebag does not come loose or get stuck in your other gear.

eric

Since 13 Jan 2006
1803 Posts

XTreme Poster

PostMon Jan 25, 21 12:32 pm     Reply with quote

^^^

Me too. Makes everything easier for me.

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1251 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jan 25, 21 4:11 pm     Reply with quote

Never had a problem flying Pivots with North bars, FWIW.

Hatchetthrower

Since 20 Mar 2013
43 Posts

PostMon Jan 25, 21 5:46 pm     Reply with quote

I'll go against the grain here somewhat and say that I have one bar that I use for all my kites and never plan on changing. I like the Switch V2 control bar which is from 2013ish. At one point I decided my switch bar was getting kind of old and I bought a liquid force mission control V2. I used it twice and sold it and decided to refurb my old switch bar. I replaced the lines with new cabrinha lines and swapped out the redundant upper swivel for a naish line organizer, remade the back line connections and replaced the center and flagging lines. I now have a Frankenstein bar that I plan on using and occasionally refurbing until the metal corrodes away, hopefully another decade or two at least(I also have a backup of the same bar so I am set for a long long time).

I have flown this bar on a Naish charger(which originally had a high V but worked just the same on a low V), Naish helix, Naish park, Best Cabo, Liquid force envy, liquid force solo, slingshot rally, switch element, mutiny s series, pansh genesis, airush one and probably some others I am forgetting. It has worked great with every one of them.

What you should know however is this: some kites have different loop, knot arrangements and I have had to remake the connections so they will mate up to my bar (you can also swap your bar pigtails around in a pinch). Also some kites, specifically the mutiny and slingshot seemed to need the backlines lengthened. As someone who loves refurbishing and tinkering on old cheap gear almost as much as riding, I am happy to mess around with things to get them working great, but if that's not something you're interested in doing then you may want to stick with matched gear. If you're willing to splice and sew some new stuff you can use the same bar for everything and keep your gear working well for a long time. Also worth noting is some large kites may turn faster on larger bars but I hated the feel of longer LF bar. I've gotten too accustomed to my heavy old switch.

russiandangle

Since 28 Jun 2019
21 Posts
Park City, Ut

PostWed Feb 10, 21 11:29 am     Reply with quote

Personal experience i have flown star kites with best, star, and ss bar, work fine. My soul has flown with fs, best, and ss bars. I had to move the trim block up a bit for the 15m soul. I have never pulled the safety on the ss but it is the same style 1 line flag out so i'm not concerned.
As mentioned before, make sure the bar is appropriate for size of kite (i do 50cm-60cm on anything larger than 12m kites especially the foil) Smaller kites need shorter bars not to stall the kite out on the turns.
The high vs low v. are the only other thing to pay attention to.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: