Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Foil Works Setup Or Other Recommendations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
watercamper

Since 08 Sep 2017
86 Posts
Boise

PostSat Jan 09, 21 4:24 pm    Foil Works Setup Or Other Recommendations Reply with quote

Hi! Maybe I am using the wrong search words but I can't find any reviews or comments on the Foil Works Kite foil setup from Windance.

Also, I'm looking for our next set of equipment for the gorge, La Ventana, and maybe the coast. We've tried the SS 3'6" micro from 2020 and liked it. Attached to it we tried the Moses 633 and the Lift 150. Liked the 150 a lot. The 633 seemed only okay. Not sure why. I am only 148 lbs if that matters. And my wife liked the 150 better too and she is only 119 lbs. I'm thinking that 633 is just too big for us.

We're down in Baja trying all of these this winter. She is normally on a 5m SST. Me on a 6m.

Didn't like the Lift 170 attached to a SS DC 4'6" but will try it again in better wind. Maybe on a smaller board.

Hoping to try an Armstrong 1050 with the 232 and the 300 stabs shortly. No one seems to have the MFC to try.

Shoot me your comments. We want light setups. Prefer turny, surf style wings vs go fast. Idea is to enjoy the gorge and LV swell and waves.

We will be making the move from the heavy SS HG space skate, 36" mast, n 4'6" DC board. We both will be making most of our gybes n footswitches soon.

Thanks for your thoughts and experience!!!

ZMar

Since 13 May 2018
24 Posts

PostTue Jan 12, 21 4:34 pm     Reply with quote

The new generation of foil works boards are great, the 115 is a really similar feel the dwarfcraft 3’6” but is a bit more forgiving in touchdowns. It’s quite a bit cheaper which is a big plus. I’d try to demo the moses (sab) 679 foil and some of the armstrong foils on shorter masts (80-91cm). For people your size to ride a surf foil it really has to be tuned in well or it’ll feel really lifty which is probably why you didn’t like the 633, the 679 rides at a similar speed but doesn’t generate as much lift as the 633 does when it speeds up. In my experience, armstrong foils are really good with delivering consistent lift even in their larger wings too. I don’t know too much about mfc’s foils but i’d ride as many different foils as you can!

Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
880 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostTue Jan 12, 21 5:15 pm     Reply with quote

I have been kite foiling with Armstrong gear for over a year now and very much like my setups. I am 175 lbs and ride a 1200 front wing with a 300 rear wing and a +1 degrees shim if I am in light wind and bigger kites 7m, 9m and 12m. I will switch to a 1050 front wing with a 232 rear wing and 0 degrees neutral shim if I am out kiting with a 4m, 5m or 7m kite.

Given your weight I would recommend the 1050 front wing and 232 rear as the largest kite foiling gear you would need. Armstrong just released an 850 front wing which could be your calling, but I have no experience riding one.

As far as Armstrong masts go, the 85cm is the best one if you are riding deep water like LV/LB area or the Gorge. The 72cm is really nice to have if you want to ride in the shallows in the surf on the coast.

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jan 12, 21 5:19 pm     Reply with quote

the market for kite foil equipment is much bigger than it was even a year ago. most kite companies now offer higher end carbon stuff so if you are looking for a lightweight setup you've got plenty of options.
one other option to consider is project cedrus mast. this is a locally produced hollow carbon fiber mast and the innovator behind the product, Kyle, has designed adapters to be used with almost every major manufacturers fuselage. its a super light mast. grown in the NW.

https://projectcedrus.com/

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostSat Jan 23, 21 11:33 am     Reply with quote

You said you liked the Lift 150 and the smaller Dwarfcraft a lot.
Why not go with that combo?
If you want advice - it would help to know what you like or did not like about the 150.

Regarding the 3'6" DC vs the 4'6" DC - the 4'6" - IMO is not properly balanced and most people don't care for the turning/handling characteristics.
I know a few people... including myself.... who switched to the 3'6" and ride quality was greatly improved.

watercamper

Since 08 Sep 2017
86 Posts
Boise

PostSat Jan 23, 21 6:22 pm     Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:
If you want advice - it would help to know what you like or did not like about the 150.

We found and purchased the 2020 3-6 micros. We liked the Classic 150 and went looking to purchase it. Only found one in the US. And, Lift has discontinued them. Not sure why. The lady at Lift didn't know much about foils and my emails to them have gone unanswered. Got us to thinking maybe another mfr with more customer svc and with modular components.

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostSun Jan 24, 21 12:51 pm     Reply with quote

watercamper wrote:
ldhr wrote:

We found and purchased the 2020 3-6 micros. We liked the Classic 150 and went looking to purchase it. Only found one in the US. And, Lift has discontinued them. Not sure why. The lady at Lift didn't know much about foils and my emails to them have gone unanswered. Got us to thinking maybe another mfr with more customer svc and with modular components.

Ok - that makes sense.
Baja Joes is now an Armstrong dealer.
Adam at Playa Central - he has Go Foils.

watercamper

Since 08 Sep 2017
86 Posts
Boise

PostSun Jan 24, 21 3:40 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks. That's good to know. We have a friend with the Armstrong setup that we will try soon. I hadn't looked at Go Foil as none of our friends have them. Looks interesting and I see that Big Winds is a dealer! Any idea where they are located?

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostSun Jan 24, 21 6:23 pm     Reply with quote

Big Winds is in Hood River. Wink
Go Foil is Alex Aguerra in Maui.

grigorib

Since 19 Sep 2017
244 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Jan 24, 21 6:30 pm     Reply with quote

watercamper wrote:
ldhr wrote:

There’s post on Second Hand section of the forum listing Lift 150 classic + 36” mast for $950 shipped

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: