Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

So Grateful for the kite community

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
b-rad-pura-vida

Since 16 Sep 2018
8 Posts

Kook

PostTue Aug 27, 19 8:39 pm    So Grateful for the kite community Reply with quote

My name is Brad, and I have been wanting to express my deep thankfulness for the kite community. This is my second season learning this beautiful, radical and humbling sport. I love it so much, and embrace all that it offers. It has also pushed me to limits that I have never experienced, and to respect the power of the wind.

I chose to start this journey in Bahía de Salinas in Costa Rica. My instructor Sebastian helped me start my journey. That week was unforgettable no matter how many times I got "tea-bagged". Then there was Antoine along with Zac, Daniel and the whole gang at Aerial Kiteboarding in Squamish. I currently consider Squamish, BC my kiteboarding home. It is where I learned to ride independently.

And then there is my Airush Switch board that I got from Pepe at Second Wind Sports in Hood River, OR. I swear that board has 9 lives! From Matt in Squamish, Bobby in someplace close to Lyle to Alex and Hein in Rufus, they have saved my board when I couldn't get to it. The Colombia sure can test your body dragging skills! Thank you for saving my orange board!

And then there Dan and Tony, who saved me from a super dangerous death loop situation. My bar got caught in a chicken loop reset, and sent me for a ride that made me question if I was going to make it. Some situations they just don't teach you in lessons. These two firefighters from Alaska, saved my tail and Mike saved my kite. I don't even know who saved my board. All I know is that without them, I don't know where I would be right now. I will always be grateful to them! As I took about an hour to untangle my lines, I thought about how this is just part of the total experience. I rode again that day, and that was important step in my journey. I couldn't have taken that step without all these wonderful kite--guardian-angels.

And then there is all the moral support from people like Debbie and John (Rufus), the Brady's (Flora's Lake) and Butch and his wife (somewhere close to Lyle), Quique from Progreso, México and the crew from Epic Kiteboarding in Florida. Everybody that I have met in the global kite community has been surpassed my idea of what communal kindness means. They understand the highs and lows of the sport, embrace that you're out there, have compassion on your development and help you in every way. All I know is I look forward to offering myself in the ways that all of these people have for me. I offer what I can now, but can't wait to do what guys like Tony, Daniel, Antoine and all the others have done for me. Even in our brief moments, I consider you a friend and carry you in my memory!

So far in my journey, it has been solo. I often tell myself that I need to learn how to self launch and land. As I write this, what I would like more is to kite with others. I want to be more a part of the kite boarding community. So in short, I hope this post gets to those who I am so thankful for, and hope to see you again in the seasons to come.

With heartfelt gratitude,

B-rad

yellowblackandwhite

Since 20 Aug 2016
16 Posts

PostWed Aug 28, 19 8:37 am     Reply with quote

Absolutely. The best community ever. Very Happy

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostWed Aug 28, 19 10:42 am    Kite community Reply with quote

B-rad,

Thanks for your post. Sounds like you have been to some great places, it's impressive how common experiences kiting create such strong bonds of community.

Let's hope to keep the Stoke alive and growing as has been my own experience both learning and now helping others discover the passion for themselves...

Squamish is a great spot - been on my list to kite there but haven't checked that square off my list yet.

PM if you are down in the Gorge - happy to KITE Rooster with ya' - da EAST Winds a comin'

STOKE LEVEL 9000 +

Cheers,

Mc

burton420

Since 19 Aug 2007
38 Posts
Kelowna,BC,Canada

PostThu Aug 29, 19 2:18 pm    Stoked! Reply with quote

Hey great post.

I've noticed that kiteboarding has a very unique connection among its members. Compared to mountain biking, the cost of your gear has little to do with your ability. If I'm on a $10k bike it will definitely make me look better than $2k one. The best kite gear on the market still can't help with any lack in skill.

I would say most of us have been in a scenario where someone has helped us out of a bad situation, or at least potentially bad, so paying it forward seems to be on most people's radar.

Being an extreme water sport, the potential for serious injury or death is constant. For any of us that have had close calls, I think that awareness keeps us on our toes and constantly looking out for people in distress.

If you do plan on checking out Squamish I would be happy to be your guide.

All the best to you in your kite journey.

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostFri Aug 30, 19 10:30 am    Re: Stoked! Reply with quote

burton420 wrote:
Being an extreme water sport, the potential for serious injury or death is constant. For any of us that have had close calls, I think that awareness keeps us on our toes and constantly looking out for people in distress.

Very true. Kiting to outsiders looks so easy it's deceiving. People that lean towards the sport and reach long-term success trend towards technical/engineering backgrounds. Obviously not all, but you have to put the time in to reach the basic level of being a "kiteboarder" because the laws of physics in the sport can and will ruin your day in a split second. Having a solid understanding of how to control the madness, in a safe way with style, takes talent. I think that's the bond that binds us all.

I've been kiting since 1999. I kite a lot. I'm not that good. My flying skills are solid. My board diversity sucks. Everyday I learn something new.......mainly from my fellow kiters because we're all kind of dorky but the consensus is our time on the water keeps our other 21 hours in a day on keel.....which helps us find more time to kite. Circle of life kind of shit mi amigos. Laughing

butch simones

Since 30 Sep 2016
59 Posts
N.H.

PostFri Aug 30, 19 3:26 pm    Kiting friends last forever ! Reply with quote

Hey Brad ,
Great post ! We have all paid our dues and have had lots of help along the way . I'm glad to hear that your still hanging in there . Are you still teaching and living in Bend ? We will be there around October 1st ish and we would love to go out and have a beer and catch up.
Butch & Paula (Lyle sandbar)

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostSat Aug 31, 19 7:27 am     Reply with quote

Awesome post of stoke from you Brad.

Keep up the stoke and always remember to pass it on to other kiters as you continue forward with your love of kiting.

Pepi

www.Purestokesports.com

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostSat Aug 31, 19 8:49 am     Reply with quote

Brad!

I'm glad you took the time to write this post, and I'm glad that Tony and I were there when you needed help.

Definitely pay it forward!!

Dan

www.freeridekiting.com

b-rad-pura-vida

Since 16 Sep 2018
8 Posts

Kook

PostWed Jul 01, 20 12:17 pm    Re: Kiting friends last forever ! Reply with quote

butch simones wrote:
Hey Brad ,
Great post ! We have all paid our dues and have had lots of help along the way . I'm glad to hear that your still hanging in there . Are you still teaching and living in Bend ? We will be there around October 1st ish and we would love to go out and have a beer and catch up.

Hi Butch and Paula,

Hope you both are well! Where are y'all at these days? Are you Kiteboarding during this crazy time? FYI, I just got my first Mako. It's a 2011 or 2012 used. I had a question about this particular Mako. Most that I have seen have a single fin at each end, which is placed in the center of each edge of the board. This one has 3 fins on one edge, and one fin on the other. What is the difference?

Take Care!

Brad

mako
 mako  6574.jpeg 

b-rad-pura-vida

Since 16 Sep 2018
8 Posts

Kook

PostWed Jul 01, 20 12:23 pm    Have a great Season! Are you around the Gorge? Reply with quote

Hi Dan!

I hope you are well, and enjoying life. Are you kiteboarding or somewhere close to the Gorge? Hey, If you are ever up for offering some lessons, I am always ready to learn more. Season #3 has had a slow start, and one twin tip less than I started with. Argh! I gotta improve my body dragging on Old Man Colombia and elsewhere of course. Hope life is treating you well, and I will always be grateful to you and Tony!

Brad

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostWed Jul 01, 20 12:42 pm     Reply with quote

Brad, your Mako is a "Mako King". Fun board, 165cm with 3 fins vs. standard Mako's that come in either the 140 or 150 size. Cheers.

b-rad-pura-vida

Since 16 Sep 2018
8 Posts

Kook

PostWed Jul 01, 20 1:31 pm     Reply with quote

Thank You Sella!

jasonq

Since 12 Jan 2009
242 Posts
hood river
Stoked

PostWed Jul 01, 20 2:34 pm     Reply with quote

for a few years the 140 and 150 mako's had a tri fin option with small outside fins

those outer fins are optional.

you can also set up the foot pads offset towards the rear, so the board is really both a twin tip and a mutunt.

I have the same set up on my mako 140. i almost never use the outside fins. they are nice if you are riding a lot of toe side, gives just a little more drive (you only need to toe side fin for that). And they are nice if you are riding a lot of swell with a steeper face, as sometimes the rear center fin isn't in the water, and the board can go loose for an instant if you are not edging.

if i was doing a pure down winder, i might shift to mutant and add the outside fins, but never have.

butch simones

Since 30 Sep 2016
59 Posts
N.H.

PostFri Jul 03, 20 1:04 pm    Mako Reply with quote

Hey Brad , nice to here that your still out there ripping it up . Paula and I tried to get in touch with you when we were in Bend last year but the number I had didn't work . Paula and I are kiting in La Ventana , Mexico for 6 months in the winter and we are in South Padre Island ,Texas for a month in the Spring and Fall . For the Mako just take the 2 outside fins off and ride it with one fin in the middle at each end , and you'll love it . What length is the Mako ? Where are you located these days ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: