Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

DIY Kite Bar Lines

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostSat Sep 19, 20 8:46 am    DIY Kite Bar Lines Reply with quote

Anyone extremely experienced that could provide some feedback on my questions?
I’m building two DIY kite bars. I have some used spectra kite lines from some SS bars and Cabrina. Age is unknown, but visual inspection of the Spectra lines is perfect. Age could be 10 years old. Are older spectra lines good to use after a visual inspection?

For used lines that are not SS lines, these generally have color. I’m gauging the condition by looking at color fading. Any recommendations? I’m assuming UV would affect Spectra line condition.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostSat Sep 19, 20 9:53 am     Reply with quote

Both Spectra and Dyneema are very resistant to damage from UV light. I've got line sets over 8 years old that show no damage. I've got a bar for each kite though, so the wear is spread out. If you do a thorough visual inspection and there is no fraying, thin spots or damage, I think you're good. That said, if the lines have seen 10 seasons of use rather than be stored for part of that, I'd retire them to be safe. When I travel, I bring a bar with lines no older than two, maybe three, years old.

As far as colored line, they're all going to fade. The material spectra and dyneema are made out of actually can't be colored. The color sits on the surface of the material and inside the weave. It eventually will wear off. At least that's what a chemist told me.

I've only ever had one line fail, and that was a fairly new one 10 or 12 years ago.

WindSki

Since 14 Dec 2012
402 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostSat Sep 19, 20 10:02 am     Reply with quote

Thanks Nak
For the color lines, I thought color fading might be a good indication of the amount of use and UV exposure. I was lucky to get some used lines, I’m sure they are very old, but the color looks like brand new. So, I would assume these lines are basically brand new. Doing a visual inspection there is no wear issues.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: