Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Is kitesurfing at Oceanside, OR, safe?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
A.K.

Since 01 Jul 2006
190 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Mar 15, 20 2:36 am    Is kitesurfing at Oceanside, OR, safe? Reply with quote

Looks like the family has booked a weekend at Oceanside, OR, for spring break. I always watch in awe at what seems to be the perfect wave and NW wind setup at Oceanside, OR. But with a cliff face rising right from the beach I get the eerie feeling wind hitting the land could shoot straight upwards. I never see anyone else kite there. And I know that this is a favored sport for paragliders/hang gliders who launch further up the cliff.

My old windsurfing buddy told be about a freak moment when an unattended sail lunched 50 ft in the air rotating upwards like a helicopter blade. Are we at risk kitesurfing at Oceanside of getting launched upward like you see in those freak youtube videos.

Besides that there seems to be no ideal escape route downwind. There seem to be larger rock formations upwind that could also mess with wind quality. So I have always headed the few miles northward to the open sandy beach of Manzanita.

Does anyone actually kitesurf Oceanside regularly? Is it safe?

pollywog

Since 07 Aug 2009
289 Posts

Obsessed

PostSun Mar 15, 20 1:55 pm     Reply with quote

Yes, you can. I have. Run a search on here and you’ll find threads with the info.

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostSun Mar 15, 20 5:33 pm     Reply with quote

actually one of the more flukey spots - the sea stacks usually mess with the wind - can be awesome but usually involves some suffering with dead spots and swirling winds off the cliffs

also respect the inlet on an outgoing tide - dumps like the deschutes

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

barfly

Since 31 Mar 2005
1210 Posts
Seaside
BRACKISH

PostFri Mar 27, 20 10:34 am     Reply with quote

Ok, late to this but a great rule for this spot is strong WNW wind and can hold gigantor swell.

As wind is more northerly, it gets flukey but definitely a great challenge if you're into that sort of thing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: