Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Sunscreen Recommendations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Kay

Since 11 May 2009
210 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostSat Jul 18, 20 8:26 am    Sunscreen Recommendations Reply with quote

Never used sunscreen when kiting, not proud of it. What are your recommendations and personal choices when it comes to face sunscreen and lip sunscreen?

Here is what I’m interested in finding:

•Doesn’t wash off with frequent water wipeouts
    •Doesn’t run down my face and/or doesn’t burn my eyes
    •Lasts long (2+ hours)
    •Invisible would be nice
    •Organic, Chemical free, and Environmental considerations are great if an option!

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostSat Jul 18, 20 9:30 am     Reply with quote

Solshaka - contact Cynbad via Facebook. She manufactures them and sells them here in Hood River.
https://solshaka.com/
Sun Bum - available in local pharmacy - Walgreens maybe - next to Safeway.
Lasts for hours..... but I don't wipeout all that much Wink

IMG_0194.jpg 
   IMG_0195.jpg 

coupdevill

Since 09 Mar 2016
260 Posts
Hood River, OR
Obsessed

PostSat Jul 18, 20 9:52 am     Reply with quote

This is what I have used for years, and it's the best for me. Available at Doug's!

https://www.sunbum.com/collections/sunscreen-plp/products/signature-spf-50-sunscreen-lotion-3oz

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostSat Jul 18, 20 10:26 am    Re: Sunscreen Recommendations Reply with quote

Kay wrote:
Never used sunscreen when kiting, not proud of it. What are your recommendations and personal choices when it comes to face sunscreen and lip sunscreen?

Here is what I’m interested in finding:

•Doesn’t wash off with frequent water wipeouts
    •Doesn’t run down my face and/or doesn’t burn my eyes
    •Lasts long (2+ hours)
    •Invisible would be nice
    •Organic, Chemical free, and Environmental considerations are great if an option!

Your skin is "Precious", you only get one set.

I recommend Lotion of the Lambs

Just make sure when your done applying it that you
"put the f@cking lotion in the basket!" Laughing

Link

jasonq

Since 12 Jan 2009
242 Posts
hood river
Stoked

PostSat Jul 18, 20 11:55 am     Reply with quote

i think you will find all the good recommendations for water use are "mineral" sunscreens. they all have various ingredients, but tend to feature zink oxide as a the major ingredient. zcote is one brand name of a "clear" zink oxide that is used in many mineral sunscreens. the more zink, the better it lasts/blocks, but the worse it rubs in and the heavier it feels. can be a bummer with a lot of stubble.

if you are worried about skin harshness, look for mineral sunscreen for babies/ sensitive skin.

blue water is excellent, and i think 2nd wind/now pure stoke, carries it.

i have also used a walgreens generic with zcote, and coppertone zinc oxide.

i think my favorite low priced options is
Coppertone Defend & Care Sensitive Skin Sunscreen Lotion Broad Spectrum SPF 50 (6 Fluid Ounce) at 8 bucks on amazon. I have been using that for the last year.

coppertone has numbers formulations with zinc oxide, and this looks good and cheap with the only active ingredient being 24% zink oxide:
Coppertone Pure & Simple SPF 50 Sunscreen Lotion, Water Resistant, Hypoallergenic, Dermatologically Tested, Plus 100% Natural Botanicals, Broad Spectrum UVA/UVB Protection,White, 6 Ounce. at 9 bucks. But i not tried it.

zinc oxide based sunscreens are great for water, and last, but they are sort of heavy on your face, and not great for general use. for general use i like Banana Boat Sunscreen Dry Balance Broad Spectrum Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 50+ - 6 Ounce. its cheap at 12 bucks on amazon, and i barely notice it on. I think banana boat has several other "dry" formulations too.

lineman

Since 05 Feb 2009
170 Posts

Stoked

PostSat Jul 18, 20 1:08 pm     Reply with quote

Neutrogena Baby, Lotion & stick are the best! Ill never use Coppertone or Banana Boat again, lots of stuff thats bad for your skin like oxybenzone. You only want minerals like zinc & titanium.

hillbillyfunk

Since 02 Jun 2009
36 Posts
Hood River

PostMon Jul 20, 20 2:19 pm     Reply with quote

here's my secret sauce:

https://www.burnoutsun.com/collections/featured/products/ocean-tested-sunscreen-spf-30

lasted long surf sessions in Indo -- and I never got burned unless I forgot to put it on

scottm

Since 12 Jun 2006
108 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Jul 20, 20 6:34 pm     Reply with quote

I use Headhunter surf sunscreen on my face: https://www.amazon.com/Headhunter-Surf-Sunscreen-SPF-50/dp/B00JDW1000

It works well and stays on, and doesn't bother my tender face with almost-daily use. I like the light brown tint because it's easy to see where you applied it, and doesn't make you look like a ghost. Big Winds carries the clear and white versions IIRC.

I use Neutrogena Beach Defense on my hands, feet, and neck. And a FCS surf cap or Patagonia surf bucket hat. It's amazing how much better my skin feels when I protect it from the sun.

moondog

Since 15 Aug 2007
697 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

CGKA Member

PostSat Aug 22, 20 4:02 pm     Reply with quote

Blue Lizard from Australia. Got it on Amazon. No bad chemicals and Zinc and Titanium oxide which are the key sun blockers!

jack

Since 12 Mar 2006
211 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Aug 23, 20 5:00 am     Reply with quote

A strong second to Moondog's recommendation. Blue Lizard is great and has kept my kids and I 100% burn free all summer. Target sells it as well.

kwalshpc

Since 24 Oct 2014
142 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Aug 23, 20 8:06 am    Sunscreen Reply with quote

All Good Stick. It is a clear Zinc that will stay on all day. I've used it in Brazil for years - we are out for hours and I can still feel it at the end of the day.

scottm

Since 12 Jun 2006
108 Posts

Stoked

PostSun Aug 23, 20 8:42 am     Reply with quote

I third the Blue Lizard recommendation. Started using it a few weeks ago, and it's my new go-to for face, neck, hands, and feet. Got it at Walmart.

oliver19

Since 25 Jun 2019
77 Posts

PostSun Aug 23, 20 1:11 pm     Reply with quote

Understand that there is chemical vs barrier. There is currently a lot of research in the medical literature about the absorption of chemicals into your body from chemical sunscreens. The long term consequences are unknown but why take the chance? Barrier is either Zinc and/or Titanium. It is not absorbed and is actually difficult to wash off in many cases. Embrace the look, you are taking care of your skin.

sfbomber

Since 27 Jun 2012
112 Posts

Stoked

PostMon Aug 24, 20 9:46 am     Reply with quote

Another thing to consider about chemical sunscreens, is they are harmful to aquatic animals (i.e. barrier reef).
Non nanonized sunblocks (i.e. Zinc) is safer to aquatic animals.
+1 on Blue Lizard and Solshaka.

consumer

Since 28 Nov 2010
406 Posts
banned
Obsessed

PostMon Aug 24, 20 6:42 pm     Reply with quote

Zinka

9DA10D44-73B5-47BC-8B05-6216027D1DDF.jpeg 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: