Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Big Friday

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
juandesooka

Since 21 Jan 2014
96 Posts

PostThu Dec 19, 19 10:39 am    Big Friday Reply with quote

Browsing our local wind forecast for vancouver island, which includes at the bottom some forecasts for Oregon.

http://www.bigwavedave.ca/forecasts.php?page=1

WOW, tomorrow looks pretty insane on the coast, 40kt+ and 12ft+ surf. Just curious, are there are people down there chasing that kind of forecast? Or is it just too extreme?

If you go out, take a moment to snap a photo! Would be interesting to see what it looks like in these conditions. [and I know there's always concerns about keeping the coast spots quiet, etc, but somehow I suspect you won't have to worry about crowds for this call Laughing ]

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostThu Dec 19, 19 11:30 am     Reply with quote

I've done some in my day. . . my experience is that things are pretty mushburger like aka foamy and waves are not clean (all discombobulated). This has only been on the Northern Strip (Seaside up to the south jetty of the Columbia). I didn't go out farther than maybe 150 yards from waters edge as the risk to reward factor wasn't in my favor. It really didn't get any better the farther I went out. The reformed waves just got bigger each set/row as I headed away from shore. I've never gone out to the break area/zone where swell first crashes and turns into a wave--that would be extremely difficult to accomplish and basically crazy to do. I'm talking about S to SW storm weather.

That said, it was nice to get out into the ocean and get salty.

Time to go skiing for me anyways.

Be careful out there if you go.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: