Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Kiting in Kailua Bay

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Alpinelaura7

Since 29 Oct 2019
2 Posts

PostTue Oct 29, 19 11:14 am    Kiting in Kailua Bay Reply with quote

Hi, I am a new kiteboarder but am going to Oahu for vacation in 3 weeks (11/17) and plan to take my kite gear. Looking for beta on how/where to launch on Kailua Beach and any other tips. I was considering taking a lesson there as well to feel more comfortable. I took 5 lessons this summer at Gorge Kite school, "graduated" essentially, and then bought my own gear including an 8M kite, but haven't ridden since my last lesson in July. I'm hoping an 8M it's will suffice in November in Kailua but just wanted any additional advice! Thanks

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostTue Oct 29, 19 11:43 am    Maui should be in your future Reply with quote

Laura:

Go to Maui. Oahu is densely populated.

And try the search function on the links above.

Go to search link above and click. hit the second "search for all terms"

Type in "kiting Oahu" in the line above "search for all terms".

Take note of date of posts on the subject.

A vast trove of info awaits you.

Enjoy your trip.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostTue Oct 29, 19 12:01 pm     Reply with quote

Kailua is my second home! Not really, but I'm there a lot for work. Smile Great place, but can be fickle for winds. It's pretty rare that an 8m will work there with a Twin tip. Before I started foiling my most used kite was a 17m turbine... I used a 12m a lot and a 10m once or twice. (I'm 230 though...) That's not to say that you won't get 8m winds there; it happens. But not all that often. I've used a 6m once in the last year, and that was with a foil. I kite there 4 or 5 times a month on average.

If you can bring only one kite, bring a 17m. Add a 12m if at all possible. Add a 10m or a 9m if you can carry the additional weight.

Kailua beach park is where you want to go, by the Kalapawai Market. Don't ride in the coned off swimming area. Rig on the grass & carry your rigged kite to the beach. Downwind of the launch is a nasty wind shadow, so get upwind immediately. If you go downwind you'll be doing the walk of shame to get back to the launch.

Way up wind is Lanikai. Lots of barely submerged reef. Avoid going up here as a beginner. Easy to identify. Going up wind from the Kailua launch the sand will end and the beach will get rocky. Stop at this point until you feel comfortable navigating the reef.

There are other spots to kite on Oahu, but Kailua is definitely a great spot and certainly the most beginner friendly spot. Have fun and Aloha!

Edited to add: oops, just saw that you probably weigh a LOT less than me. drop one kite size for all of my recommendations. The problem being is that sometimes you need a 17m just to get it to fly. A lightweight 14 might be a good choice for you, like a Naish Boxer.

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4199 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostTue Oct 29, 19 12:08 pm     Reply with quote

Also, if the sky is going to be clear, do at least one dawn session. Be kiting before the sun comes up. If the horizon is clear, kind of rare, you get this incredible red light on the mountains for a minute or two as the sun comes up. It's like a religious experience to be kiting in the bay and watch this happen. I've only actually seen this a couple of times, but it makes the whole trip worthwhile all by itself.

CAK86

Since 08 Aug 2015
51 Posts

PostTue Oct 29, 19 5:52 pm     Reply with quote

We kited there when we were semi-new. Get on the facebook page for their kite group, meet up with someone to learn how to launch there. All the locals we met were super nice. be careful of the tourist walking the beach where you launch, they dont understand kiting and will walk over your lines when you are launching. Have fun, it was great when we were there. We kited 6 out of 7 days on 10 and 12 meter kites the first week of December.

undertow

Since 15 Feb 2008
371 Posts
BeaversBurg
Obsessed

PostWed Oct 30, 19 12:56 pm     Reply with quote

Kited there last year Wind came up 12m Dec 23-25. Great Christmas Eve Session.

MasPedos

Since 05 May 2017
94 Posts
Kihei Hey Hey

PostThu Oct 31, 19 12:28 pm    Kailua is great but light wind.. Reply with quote

Bring a big kite and a floaty board.

ay

Since 11 Oct 2008
109 Posts
HR - ME
Stoked

PostSat Nov 02, 19 8:48 pm     Reply with quote

12m is ideal kite size. Hawaiian Watersports is the shop in town for a lesson and gear. Local community is awesome. Sit and chill at the launch with beer and you will learn a lot. Bring aloha.

MasPedos

Since 05 May 2017
94 Posts
Kihei Hey Hey

PostWed Nov 06, 19 6:54 am    Mokulea Reply with quote

Moks.

Kailua is epic for sure, pero Moks is a must kite.

Shallow, unforgiving, but super fun.

Winter is typically lighter wind. Oahu is generally lighter in the winter and throughout the year.

When I first got to Oahu I was rigging 14 RPM and on a Trex. Nice combo and then eventually I started to figure out that I needed a floatier board.

Watching TopHat at Mok's I learned that the magic combo in Oahu was a floatier board and a smaller kite, but it takes practice.

The reef will rip your fins off and do a job on your feet.

Enjoy,
R

1surfer

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
'Ualapu'e / High Rockies
Obsessed

PostWed Nov 06, 19 11:30 am    Kailua Reply with quote

I grew up in Kailua, went to Enchanted Lakes Elm. and learned to windsurf there in the late 70's. Lots of great memories gettin pounded by my sailboard there when I was a teenager. I like kiting there and it is one of the most scenic spots that you can kite anywhere. The beach launch can be tricky with all the people. decent rigging on the grass and showers are there as well. Yes you may need a bigger kite and board than Maui but I think its a great place to kite on regular boards and a great place to foil. There are other placed to kite on Oahu. That being said I am looking forward to kiting in kailua again and maybe that will be the place that I learn to foil. I give it a two thumbs up for overall combination of being a fun place to kite, hang out and enjoy Hawaii.

NoHater

Since 03 Jun 2019
14 Posts
Oahu, HI

PostThu Nov 07, 19 1:52 pm     Reply with quote

This is my home spot. Wind has literally been non-existent here lately for the TT guys, be being one of them. For sure read and review the stuff on this site : https://kitekailua.com/ Like many local sites it will tell you the do and do not things of the spot. If you bring your stuff I would def bring your large kites. If you are only bringing two kites, I would forego on the 8M unless of course your are bringing a foil If you are looking for some instruction I recommend https://kiteboardingparadisehawaii.com/ or http://www.windwardwatersports.com/. Fellipe at kiteboarding paradise will meet you up at any spot on island where it is blowing. Sometimes Kailua bay isn't, where as the north shore is. The past couple weeks has been sub 10kts everyday so check the reports and keep your fingers crossed for some wind.

Alpinelaura7

Since 29 Oct 2019
2 Posts

PostSat Nov 16, 19 12:51 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the info! I got a 12 M kite and am hopeful. Stoked to kite in Kailua!!

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostTue Nov 19, 19 4:10 pm    Post some pics please Reply with quote

Alpinelaura7 wrote:
Thanks everyone for the info! I got a 12 M kite and am hopeful. Stoked to kite in Kailua!!

Nice work on adding to your kite quiver.

Have fun and please post some pics.

Hope it blows 12m or stronger.

NoHater

Since 03 Jun 2019
14 Posts
Oahu, HI

PostWed Nov 20, 19 5:26 pm    Re: Post some pics please Reply with quote

Sasquatch wrote:
Alpinelaura7 wrote:

Nice work on adding to your kite quiver.

Have fun and please post some pics.

Hope it blows 12m or stronger.

You must have brought the wind. Its blowing hard this week. Thur-Sun is blowing 20-31kts.

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostWed Nov 20, 19 7:52 pm     Reply with quote

Pics. Must live through others now. Too cold with the easties for me now!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: