Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Thanks and PM me who ever brought my board in

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Aug 09, 19 10:35 pm    Thanks and PM me who ever brought my board in Reply with quote

To all the people who interrupted their sessions today to check on me at the ES I would like to say thank you.

I ended up ripping my kite in half today on a failed jump and had to self rescue. I tried to catch up to my board but after about 5 minutes of swimming as fast as I could I gave up in futility.

I then went in to self rescue mode which was a bit of a challenge with a ripped out kite (kite was also bowtied and I couldn't figure out how to unbowtie it until I deflated it on the beach).

I believe 5 separate people stopped by to check on me to make sure I was okay.

Steve pulled me for a while which was extremely helpful as I am not sure I would have made the sandbar without his help.

I finally figured out how to self rescue with half a kite and made it in near the tip of the sandbar.

Walking in I came across my board placed nicely on the beach in a fashion that I would easily see while walking in.

If the rescuer would like to PM me I would be interested in their beverage of choice.

a.benjamin76

Since 27 Jul 2017
112 Posts

Stoked

PostSat Aug 10, 19 6:20 am    Rescue Reply with quote

Glad you're ok. Same thing happened to my kite 2 days ago. Ripped from trailing edge all the way to leading edge, 2 inches away from the center strut. How were you able to make a sail of your kite during self rescue? I was able to roll up my lines and get to my kite but having a kite split in half made it extremely difficult to make a consistent sail to drag back to shore. Canopy kept fluttering and not staying taught.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostSat Aug 10, 19 10:22 am    Re: Rescue Reply with quote

a.benjamin76 wrote:
How were you able to make a sail of your kite during self rescue?

With the kite sitting like you would place it on the beach I layed on the center (where you would normally put weight on your kite to keep it from blowing away) and pulled one of the steering lines through my ripped out canopy to pull the wingtip around.

I was on a 5 strut Rally and the extra struts really added a lot of support for this method. Without the strut I probably would have had to hold the canopy with one hand while fishing the other side with my steering line.

This method is upside down compared to a normal self rescue.

I didn't have as much upwind force as you normally have with a self rescue but it got me in.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: