Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Best places to go kite in Late Sept to mid October

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostMon Jul 22, 19 12:23 pm    Best places to go kite in Late Sept to mid October Reply with quote

So I've gotten my nephew into kiting this summer. He acquired all his gear and a quiver of kites. Unfortunately he only gets to go out about once per week, so he only has 3 sessions under his belt. . .He is at water starts right now. He will have a college fall break for 9 days in either late September or early to mid October. He will be leaving from PDX, and so where would the best kiting destination for him to go?

He most likely will be going with non-kiting parents and so I thougt Maui or La Ventana would be the best venue for all involved. I'm pretty sure SPI is good at this time, but a bit too boring for non-kiters.

It might actually be too early for LV?? Maui probably good and he won't want or need swell as he is learning.

Does this sound about right?

Last edited by Sasquatch on Mon Jul 22, 19 2:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jul 22, 19 1:58 pm     Reply with quote

Maui! It will be windy every day and lots for everyone to do besides kite.
Hatteras is another option - but not as much fun for non-kiting parents.... and not as windy as Maui.
Way too early for LV.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jul 22, 19 2:48 pm     Reply with quote

Brazil

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostMon Jul 22, 19 3:02 pm     Reply with quote

Maybe he should just come visit Uncle Sasquatch again in Portland. Late Sept/early
October is my favorite time of year in the PNW. Chances are there will be at least a couple windy days in the Gorge over 9 days that time of year, maybe east, maybe west. And if not, the mountain biking and hiking is excellent in the fall before the rains start.

oliver19

Since 25 Jun 2019
77 Posts

PostMon Jul 22, 19 11:14 pm     Reply with quote

ldhr wrote:
Maui! It will be windy every day and lots for everyone to do besides kite.
Hatteras is another option - but not as much fun for non-kiting parents.... and not as windy as Maui.
Way too early for LV.

1+

McLovin

Since 11 Sep 2017
278 Posts
Corbett
Obsessed

PostTue Jul 23, 19 8:02 am     Reply with quote

user124 wrote:
Maybe he should just come visit Uncle Sasquatch again in Portland. Late Sept/early
October is my favorite time of year in the PNW. Chances are there will be at least a couple windy days in the Gorge over 9 days that time of year, maybe east, maybe west. And if not, the mountain biking and hiking is excellent in the fall before the rains start.

+1 for Stay-cation @ Rooster Rock Park

Sure MAUI is beautiful and warm but you can't kite before 10/11AM or whatever and then there are all the sunscreen concerns etc. - right here you can wear a comfortable full suit and get the best winds for cranking up one's learning curve.

I'd think about 9 days in the Gorge and saving the travel budget for Winter Break for MEXICO which is also AWESOME...

Mc

undertow

Since 15 Feb 2008
371 Posts
BeaversBurg
Obsessed

PostTue Jul 23, 19 8:27 am     Reply with quote

South Padre TX is good that time of the year, beginner friendly to really progress.

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostTue Jul 23, 19 9:05 am     Reply with quote

Thank you everyone for your suggestions!

I'm going to push for Maui as it has a little bit of everything for all and SO easy out of PDX.

Brazil is definitely on my list. I think one needs more than 9 days to make that trip worthwhile.

SPI. I hear you on the wonderful beginner friendly waters and conditions, but if it isn't windy and or one doesn't kite, that place is a desert so to speak.

LV: This place is a gem and would probably be the preferred locale for all if it was windy at that time, but it isn't. So much to do there if it is windy or isn't windy.

NC/OBX: I don't think too enticing for non-kiters.

Rooster Rock: Can be good place to learn. But if there are gusty conditions (which there often are) and current and windy going in the same direction; neither is the best for learning.

I also think my nephew would prefer all the gals on the beach on Maui in bikinis. Not to mention kiting in warm waters that only require board shorts and a long sleeved neo top for sun protection.

Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
308 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Jul 24, 19 11:24 am     Reply with quote

Sasquatch wrote:

NC/OBX: I don't think too enticing for non-kiters.

I think OBX is actually one of the better windy spots for non-kiters, I've not actually been there myself yet though.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: