Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

OR Mako Q/Advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
IWantToFly

Since 29 Jul 2019
144 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Jul 31, 19 11:24 am    OR Mako Q/Advice Reply with quote

I am a beginner with a Litewave Wing 155. I’m usually between 160 and 165 lbs.. I enjoy the Wing. It’s been a great board to learn and I know I haven’t begun to tap into its potential. One of the guys who taught me is a dealer and he rips - regularly launching his Wing 50’+. At the same time, I enjoy trying out new things and having fun learning with different gear along the way.

I’m riding now in the Gorge or down at Floras Lake. Hopefully I’ll have the chance to start mixing in some other destinations soon. I’ve ridden 25kts. with 3’-4’ swells at Roosevelt and enjoyed the Wing, but it would have been fun to have something more surfy.

When I was first learning I saw a guy carving flatwater downwind on a Mako like he was snowboarding. It looked like a ton of fun. I’ve read reviews of the Mako and obviously people love it. I have the chance to pick up a 165 for cheap ($150). I believe it is a 2011 and it’s in great shape.

At my size and experience is there any point in the 165? If I had the choice I’d probably go for the 150, but it’s a really good deal! What do you think?

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed Jul 31, 19 11:37 am    too big Reply with quote

Too big for you IMHO for your size.

Or buy it and try it out and if you don't like it sell it to this guy.

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-46596.html

Dern

Since 11 Jul 2010
544 Posts
Vancouver, WA
Addicted

PostWed Jul 31, 19 12:08 pm     Reply with quote

I believe Windance in Hood River has some mako boards in their demo fleet. I would stop by the shop and talk to the crew there about the mako. I agree with Sasquatch that the 165 might be a bit big, at least for River riding. Wave riding at the coast can be quite fun on the 165, but given your weight the 150 is probably a better all around fit.

lineman

Since 05 Feb 2009
170 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Jul 31, 19 1:32 pm     Reply with quote

Get both! You will not regret it.

Freeride Kiter

Since 08 Jul 2011
698 Posts
Alaska / PNW / Baja
Instructor

PostWed Jul 31, 19 1:53 pm     Reply with quote

If the board is in good shape, get it! It may be too big for you but set it up mutant for some directional big board fun.

https://vimeo.com/139098953

www.freeridekiting.com

Singlemalt

Since 21 Jun 2015
460 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostWed Jul 31, 19 6:48 pm     Reply with quote

Look for a Mako 140. You already have a big, light wind twin tip.

I’m having a blast on a 140 at 200 lb. It’s the only twin tip I have left. Every time I think about selling it, I take it for a ride and have a really nice time. So easy on the knees. These aren’t upwind machines, but they smooth the gorge chop. It’ll never get sold. I love the mako 140 and my 12 meter solo.

There’s plenty of inexpensive surfboard options out there on the used market. Why not get started on a directional? If you want to surf swell, and get upwind, a surfboard with decent size fins will get you in the game.

IWantToFly

Since 29 Jul 2019
144 Posts

Stoked

PostWed Jul 31, 19 7:42 pm     Reply with quote

All great advice. Thanks!

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostWed Jul 31, 19 9:24 pm     Reply with quote

The mako king 165 is fairly surfy but doesn’t compare to a real kitesurf board because it has no volume so if stalled it quickly sinks. Neither board will be good jumpers either as they are too big. To learn most tricks and to jump high you should be on a 135-140. Too big of a board and you can’t handle a well powered kite or stomp the tail to jump high.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostThu Aug 01, 19 5:41 am     Reply with quote

My $.02
At 155 pounds I've had all the Mako products over many years.
140 was too small but for the Gorge days when it was nuking and I had tons of power.
The Mako King was too big for everyday back & forth riding. Fun at he coast in mutant-mode.
The Mako 150 is the sweet spot board that fits almost everyday in your TT riding. Feels like snowboarding, gentle on aged or damaged knees if you ever have that concern, jumps OK.
Kip Wylie
Tacoma, WA

IWantToFly

Since 29 Jul 2019
144 Posts

Stoked

PostThu Aug 01, 19 1:47 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks. This is still helpful as I do very much want to learn to jump, but I also have aging knees!

3MaCs

Since 27 Jul 2015
43 Posts
Wisconsin

PostFri Aug 02, 19 6:27 am     Reply with quote

Agree with Kip.
150 for what you describe as your needs.

I don't own a twinnie any more. (surfboard and foil only now).
But, Makos were by far my favorite twin.
Had three of them.
First Mako was the King 165. I learned how to carve on it. Very surfy feel.
The 140 was my main twinnie.
We had a 130 for a while, more my wife's ride. That was like ripping around on a little skateboard.
All Makos feel like riding on a pillow going through rough water.
To me they all felt like they rode a bit smaller than their actual length.
They don't jump by loading and flexing the tail like every other square twin, but more like carving quickly against the pull of the kite then releasing. Sorta like setting an edge with skis or a snowboard pre-turn.

$150 for a king is a good deal. You can always sell later for pretty much no loss.
A little big for standard twin style riding, but very versatile.
I agree, Demo some from Windance. Keep an eye out for the size you want.
Have fun.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: