Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Need new kites
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
watercamper

Since 08 Sep 2017
86 Posts
Boise

PostWed Mar 13, 19 8:04 pm    Need new kites Reply with quote

Looking to buy some new kites. Give me ur recommendation. Here's my info. Twintip, not foil, not surfboard. Love kites that turn fast when u throw them. Love to gybe hard n s turn. Current kites don't drift well. Would like to play on the swells more n even go to the coast. Current kites don't play well with gusts. Must be quality construction. Not jumping high yet but want some boost n hang time. Have begun looking at: Fone bandit, Duotone Evo n Neo, slingshot Rally n SST, Ocean Rodeo Prodigy. Give me ur opinions. Using my current bars would save a bit. LF Mission Control. Thanks.

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostWed Mar 13, 19 9:14 pm     Reply with quote

I had Prodigy’s and would highly recommend them. Now mostly at the coast on LF WOWs which are a bit faster but I miss the Prodigy hangtime for tricks. Windance has quite a few used...

BioDude83

Since 22 Aug 2015
43 Posts
Portland, OR

PostWed Mar 13, 19 10:49 pm     Reply with quote

Rally or SST. Both are great.

west

Since 09 Oct 2008
136 Posts
Lake Michigan
Stoked

PostThu Mar 14, 19 7:52 am     Reply with quote

I’ve got several buddies who ride twintips on downwinders and in waves on SST, they dig em. I believe the Rally’s, although a greater range and great jumping kite may not respond as quickly as you are looking for except in small kites. But a SS kiter would have better info on that....

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostThu Mar 14, 19 11:02 am     Reply with quote

Slingshot SST are great kites that meet all your criteria. They won't pull you thru gybes and s-turns as well as an RPM.
Slingshot Rally kites are slow turning and heavy - don't meet your criteria.

Slingshot RPM really meets most of your criteria except they don't drift as well as the SST's. But they turn faster (gybe hard and S-turn like a mofo!) and handle like a Ferrari.

IMO drifting a kite at the coast is not realistic. We don't have side-off winds that facilitate downwind wave rides and thus drifting. When riding waves on the Oregon coast you need to work the kite with each bottom turn and top turn.
The only time you need a drifting kite is doing downwinders in the gorge or riding a foil.
Watch the best kiters at the coast - they whip their kite around whenever they bottom and top turn. You won't see many people who actually let their kites drift.

North Neo is a another kite that meets all your criteria.

My suggestion - find someone who kites like a boss and rides the style you want to copy and get whatever gear they ride.

Windance Crew

Since 18 Apr 2008
473 Posts
Hood River Kite Shop
Obsessed

PostThu Mar 14, 19 2:05 pm     Reply with quote

Hey Dave here from Windance. Of course my answer is biased to the brands I sell, so take it with a grain of salt.

( I agree with LDHRs choice, RPM is great)

My top 2 recommendations for someone who like to rip & boost on a twin twin are the new RPM from Slingshot & the Bandit from F-One. The bandit is THE most versatile high-end allrounder I have ever flown.

We have demos, so try it before you buy it.

Call me at the shop
800-574-4020

Dave

cpc219

Since 12 Jun 2014
291 Posts
The Dalles
Obsessed

PostThu Mar 14, 19 4:53 pm     Reply with quote

Naish Pivot. Da best

shred_da_gorge

Since 12 Nov 2008
1249 Posts
Local, not Low Cal
XTreme Poster

PostThu Mar 14, 19 9:11 pm     Reply with quote

Second the Pivot for gorge swell riding. Decent jumper too. Not as much low end as the Neo. My Neo is 11m so only been in light wind with it, therefore no comment but friends love it. F-One Bandit is a beauty but I don't own one so not much experience.

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Mar 15, 19 7:51 am     Reply with quote

Turns fast, drift well, handles gusts, quality, good in river swell and coast waves

Ozone Enduro, best kite I’ve flown so far for all that

Aeolus

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
Gold Beach, OR
OR-SoCo-Aficionado

PostFri Mar 15, 19 12:10 pm     Reply with quote

I think ldhr is on the right track on sst and rpm. Strict coast kiter here on surfboard 99.98% with occasional decompression session with twin tip on ramps to the moon during victory at sea conditions in pistol river area. Cape Sebastian has the side off Siren Song but the rotor off the cape forces you to fly the kite around the sky to battle the devil wind mega holes.

I’ve experimented with a bunch of kites in the waves on the southern coast here. tried a lot of so called drifters etc...I just don’t see a lot of drifting conditions where I live. I need fast. RPM delivers for me. Alien

Whad up NW Kite?! I have not visited in a while. Looks like everybody go foil.

BioDude83

Since 22 Aug 2015
43 Posts
Portland, OR

PostFri Mar 15, 19 1:22 pm    Oops. Reply with quote

I meant RPM and SST...Not RALLY and SST.

That said..Rallys are slow but they ARE great for jumping (hang time and height). Just pull the bar and start flying. Versus RPMs which take a little more effort - you have to send the kite keep it moving. RPMS are real fast though. That's my take anyway.

earthsurfer526

Since 11 Jan 2009
54 Posts
Hood River, OR

PostFri Mar 15, 19 2:49 pm     Reply with quote

Naish Pivots are amazing!! The 9m pivot is the best size and perfect for the gorge.

1surfer

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
'Ualapu'e / High Rockies
Obsessed

PostSat Mar 16, 19 7:33 am    Ozone Reply with quote

Ozone

Sella

Since 21 Apr 2007
1794 Posts
Doin' The Dalles
FLY'IN HIGH PIE GUY

PostSat Mar 16, 19 12:43 pm     Reply with quote

1surfer wrote:
Ozone

I'm sold.
watercamper wrote:
Looking to buy some new kites. Give me ur recommendation. Here's my info. Twintip, not foil, not surfboard. Love kites that turn fast when u throw them. Love to gybe hard n s turn. Current kites don't drift well. Would like to play on the swells more n even go to the coast. Current kites don't play well with gusts. Must be quality construction. Not jumping high yet but want some boost n hang time.Thanks.

Your self description is good. You don't mention how long you've been riding but if you're riding goal is to increase jumping you're probably still dialing in your timing with load/pop etc. (?) Twin tip is good but how big is it? You're coming out of Boise so finding time on the water is an effort. If your goal is more coast and gorge riding the twin will make it harder to nail those big carving speed runs and not beat your knees up in chop. However, stomping on your twin edge hitting kickers and getting upwind on your weak side will be easier. Everything is a trade-off but what your feet touch is just as key compared to what your hands touch because once your boosts increase size matters when it comes to managing landing speed.

For kites: LDHR's advice previously is on point. Flying any kite to it's true potential takes a push. Watch others. Work the kite for speed. It changes everything. The guy I try to emulate is Brad Gordon. Off the chart skill set. He works a kite better than the best and he doesn't fly a major brand. With that said, definitely gust friendly bullet proof construction is the base to look for. They all turn on a dime if your lines are tight and your transition timing is smooth. A good drifting kite will help clean that up somewhat but you're still always giving input to maintain responsiveness. All kites people have mentioned (Pivots, Enduros, RPM's, SST's Neo's, Drifters etc...etc...etc.) do everything you're looking for well. Your kite skills evolve dramatically every year, especially in year's 1 through 5, and why kite comparisons end up going down a rabbit hole.

Even demos can be tricky if you demo on a gusty / holey day....or is it your skills don't yet know how to ride through a gusty / holey day? I used to ride Rally's and RPMs but demoed an SST in 2016 and never looked back. It was like Moses parting the Red Sea moment for me. RPM's will fully dump all power. My 2016 SST's do not, which fits my riding style better. What's funny is some of my fellow riders LOATHE the SST. Tried them and went right back to RPM's or Rally's. Not the model or brand issue because every model has it's place. You have to personally fly it yourself and everybody should fly a different model/brand every season to "true-up" their personal fit to see what the market brings to the table.

I want to demo an Enduro and Pivot this season because the buzz is they're both very legit and I'm sure they are.......but will they part the sea for me? Time will tell. Smile

Last but not least, find the money to dump your old bar so your lines are bright white even and quick release is rock solid for sending that shit to the moon and back. Have fun. Go demo.

Kmun

Since 05 Jul 2009
250 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Mar 21, 19 10:08 am    Re: Need new kites Reply with quote

watercamper wrote:
Current kites don't drift well. Would like to play on the swells more n even go to the coast. Current kites don't play well with gusts.

Kite shoppers can get lost in the weeds from opinions that are not specific to your needs.

Understanding the buyers needs by clarifying their reference point.
1. Are you are shopping for new or used kites?
2. What is price range (per kite) are you are willing to spend?
3. Where exactly do you most often intend to ride?
4. What wind conditions will you most often ride (range of speeds, wind consistency)?
5. What is your body weight?
6. What kite (Manufacture, model, year) have your ridden?
7. Which kite bar are you currently using?

Last edited by Kmun on Fri Mar 22, 19 5:32 am; edited 1 time in total

Nevo

PostThu Mar 21, 19 3:15 pm     Reply with quote

I ride Neo's, full quiver 6m-11m. Definitely a big step up for me with their ability to drift and the "gruntiness" of them allows for easy jumps without the best hangtime. My only complaint is that they are pretty physical kites. My elbows end up hurting from all the one handed sheeting I do. Love their performance but expect to try something different for the next quiver. Kind of wondering what North will be releasing this year...

mmac

Since 15 May 2005
93 Posts
SC

PostFri Mar 22, 19 3:31 pm     Reply with quote

Nevo wrote:
I ride Neo's, My only complaint is that they are pretty physical kites. My elbows end up hurting from all the one handed sheeting I do. Love their performance but expect to try something different for the next quiver. Kind of wondering what North will be releasing this year...

You do know the bridels & pigtails are adjustable? They can be tuned for less bar pressure. They shouldn't be hurting your elbows if you have them adjusted correctly for your weight and are riding the right size kite. Just saying in case you didn't know.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: