Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

foil question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Jul 20, 17 6:02 pm    foil question Reply with quote

I am currently riding a slinghsot foil, the aluminum mast and carbon wing. I like it but have progressed to toe side transitions and then riding toe side with no issues.

Was wondering if it was worth getting the older 2016 nf 2 carbon foil from slingshot since they are on closeout or the lift foil.

Just looking for something a little faster and more responsive. Will i see a differences in those two since they are carbon? Or is it really the shape that makes the difference and not the construction.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostFri Jul 21, 17 10:06 am     Reply with quote

My .002
With carbon the main pluses are:
The weight for that long carry from truck to beach.
The sinking weight when attempting to strapless water-start.

Negatives (?):
I have friends who are constantly snapping carbon with jumps.
I've hit some half submerged deadheads that I am %100 certain would have cost me another $1800.00. No damage.

I surely need more TOW but after 2 years I've not noticed a huge ride difference with aluminum vs carbon. Note... I don't race. Love me some swell/wave carving.

skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Jul 21, 17 11:14 am     Reply with quote

wylieflyote wrote:
My .002
With carbon the main pluses are:
The weight for that long carry from truck to beach.
The sinking weight when attempting to strapless water-start.

Negatives (?):
I have friends who are constantly snapping carbon with jumps.
I've hit some half submerged deadheads that I am %100 certain would have cost me another $1800.00. No damage.

I surely need more TOW but after 2 years I've not noticed a huge ride difference with aluminum vs carbon. Note... I don't race. Love me some swell/wave carving.

Thanks for the info, exactly what i was looking for.

TAK

Since 04 Aug 2009
94 Posts

PostFri Jul 21, 17 4:49 pm    Get a Ghost Whisper Reply with quote

I ride mine like I stole it, well wait a minute I kinda did but that's another story haha. But for real the GW is light,fast and durable as hell. I have hit logs in the river and a bunch of my buddies have hit their wings on rocks. Yes they need to do a little ding repair on them but no one I know has completely snapped anything. So with that said get a GW and you won't be let down or out grow it for sure but at first it might be a bit tricky to ride.

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1634 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostSat Jul 22, 17 5:57 am    Re: Get a Ghost Whisper Reply with quote

TAK wrote:
I ride mine like I stole it, Yes they need to do a little ding repair on them but no one I know has completely snapped anything.

I stand corrected. TAK be de man.
I saw a post in FB yesterday for an all carbon everything.... 8 pounds total weight. There was even a picture of the mast/fuselage/wing sitting in the bay floating! Uh oh, credit card pain.

patdaniels

Since 29 Jul 2015
91 Posts
Seattle area

PostSat Jul 22, 17 6:03 am     Reply with quote

I love my Slingshot Ghost Whisper carbon foil, AND my Slingshot Hover Glide metal/compsite foil. I use them both regularly depending where I'm riding and what mood I'm in.

Started on Hover Glide, learned to foil then got Ghost Whisper too. Decided to keep and ride both because they are different and uniquely fun IMHO.

Let me be clear though, the Ghost Whisper is a better foil than the Hover Glide. Its also more expensive, rightly so. That said, you might want a lower cost, more durable foil to start on, then when you are solid on foil look at getting a carbon foil to help take you to next level.

Lastly, personally I see no significant difference in water starting strapless between the heavier Hover Glide metal foil and lighter Ghost Whisper carbon foil. They are slightly different, but both pop up fairly quickly compared to some other foils, which I like. This is in response to some suggestions it's harder to strapless waterstart a heavier foil, but that's not been my experience.

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1724 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostSat Jul 22, 17 9:05 am     Reply with quote

the SS GW is pretty solid. I've seen plenty of failures with carbon even tak and his pre-GW days on carbon foils. if you've spent a season on a beater setup, you've probably gained appreciation and respect for carbon. time to upgrade and be mindful carbon doesn't like hitting any objects other than water.

user124

Since 02 Aug 2012
390 Posts
Portland
Obsessed

PostSat Jul 22, 17 10:31 am     Reply with quote

patdaniels wrote:
I love my Slingshot Ghost Whisper carbon foil, AND my Slingshot Hover Glide metal/compsite foil. I use them both regularly depending where I'm riding and what mood I'm in.

Started on Hover Glide, learned to foil then got Ghost Whisper too. Decided to keep and ride both because they are different and uniquely fun IMHO.

Let me be clear though, the Ghost Whisper is a better foil than the Hover Glide. Its also more expensive, rightly so. That said, you might want a lower cost, more durable foil to start on, then when you are solid on foil look at getting a carbon foil to help take you to next level.

Lastly, personally I see no significant difference in water starting strapless between the heavier Hover Glide metal foil and lighter Ghost Whisper carbon foil. They are slightly different, but both pop up fairly quickly compared to some other foils, which I like. This is in response to some suggestions it's harder to strapless waterstart a heavier foil, but that's not been my experience.

Thanks for your input. I just started this season on the Hover Glide and now that I'm starting to get comfortable I've got my eye on the carbon setups, especially the Ghost Whisperer - but I'm not sure if my interest in carbon is just because it seems like the thing to do. I'm still having a blast on my Hover Glide. What situations do you find the Ghost Whisperer better in? Higher speeds? More swell (with the longer mast)? More responsive for carving and turns?

patdaniels

Since 29 Jul 2015
91 Posts
Seattle area

PostSun Jul 23, 17 6:04 am     Reply with quote

user124 wrote:
patdaniels wrote:

Thanks for your input. I just started this season on the Hover Glide and now that I'm starting to get comfortable I've got my eye on the carbon setups, especially the Ghost Whisperer - but I'm not sure if my interest in carbon is just because it seems like the thing to do. I'm still having a blast on my Hover Glide. What situations do you find the Ghost Whisperer better in? Higher speeds? More swell (with the longer mast)? More responsive for carving and turns?

Consider my Hover Glide as my bomber "training" foil and Ghost Whisper as my higher end, more precise, faster, performance foil. They are both good for certain things. If I'm foiling somewhere I know has a lot of submerged hazards, like at lower tide in some spots in Puget Sound for example, I'm likely to go with Hover Glide. I'm not boosting foil now, I'm a strapless foil rider at present, but if / when I decide to boost foil it will be on Ghost Whisper. For practicing new transitions, I tend to start on Hover Glide and then step it up to progress on Ghost Whisper. I'm addicted to foiling and want a back up foil in case something happens...which is less likely with Hover Glide so essentially the Hover Glide is a back up foil if something happens to carbon Ghost Whisper. Its a slightly different feel between the Ghost Whisper and Hover Glide....think of the difference between an aluminum or steel road bike vs all carbon road bike. Rode Hover Glide yesterday and had a blast, going to ride Ghost Whisper today just to mix it up.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: