Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

coastal wind last saturday?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
tinyE

Since 21 Jan 2006
2004 Posts
not really an
XTreme Poster

PostMon Apr 24, 17 7:21 am    coastal wind last saturday? Reply with quote

i was out on cape lookout when the winds hit on saturday. I was guessing 60-80ish mph. Does anyone know how hard it was blowing?

Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
880 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostMon Apr 24, 17 8:30 am     Reply with quote

Probably not that windy on Saturday as it hit 40 knots at the jetty in Newport early that morning and I kited on my 10m kite in the afternoon when it was not raining, better wind direction and optimum tide at Agate Beach.

Been good here on the coast lately. Got another session on yesterday Sunday afternoon with 12m kite and SW wind. Super steady and smooth wind and a long 3 hours of blasting around in the surf.

Gearing up right now for a midday session today of pure west winds which can be ridiculous how much fun you can have in straight onshore conditions. Banking on the rain to quit also as the front moves east of us.

Capture.PNG 

Wind Slither

Since 04 Mar 2005
2570 Posts
The 503
METAL

PostMon Apr 24, 17 10:29 am     Reply with quote

Windian wrote:
pure west winds which can be ridiculous how much fun you can have in straight onshore conditions.

Tell us more. Like, I do enjoy running up and down the coastline. And as long as I'm fully juiced I can beat up wind into the surf and ride the waves straight down wind with out the kite dropping.

Is there more to riding straight on-shore? Strapless jumps?

Windian

Since 28 Apr 2008
880 Posts
Newport, OR
NEWPORT OG

PostMon Apr 24, 17 9:10 pm     Reply with quote

Wind Slither wrote:
Windian wrote:
pure west winds which can be ridiculous how much fun you can have in straight onshore conditions.

Tell us more. Like, I do enjoy running up and down the coastline. And as long as I'm fully juiced I can beat up wind into the surf and ride the waves straight down wind with out the kite dropping.

Is there more to riding straight on-shore? Strapless jumps?

All of the above works with the coastal west winds. They are somewhat rare and only occur with strong frontal passages. Unless your upwinding skills are strong, don't even try it or you will end up drydocked on the beach very quickly. Been kiting them for a while so have learned some of the characteristics that allow for more successful go-outs.

*Ride super lit up as you need the juice at times to offset the surging towards the shoreline.

*Outgoing tide is best as you get a little bit of opposing current or water flow towards the onshore wind direction. Plus, outgoing tide tends to stretch the wavefield similar to pulling a table cloth tight. Gets rid of the wrinkles and creates smooth water slicks between the foam lines and oncoming waves.

*I like to ride strapped surfboards in west winds for jumping double ups and doing liftoffs over whitewater lines. Allows for easier upwinding in the on-slaught of surging whitewater.

Posted some photos of west wind action this season. By the way it was good west winds today. Solo session!

15337653_10202323711289548_2689889445459896283_n.jpg 
   15400907_10202323705449402_5235814319062869989_n.jpg 
   Capture 1.PNG 
   Capture 2.PNG 

chrissmack

Since 08 Jun 2005
515 Posts
portland
Addicted

PostTue Apr 25, 17 6:31 am     Reply with quote

cool last photo!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: