Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Vanguard on the coast

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
kt

Since 16 Mar 2005
759 Posts
Portland, Or
Opinionated

PostThu Mar 09, 17 11:16 am    Vanguard on the coast Reply with quote

Hey forum,

Anyone been riding their Vanguard out at the coast? How does it perform going upwind in that chop? Did you replace your other surfboards with it?

I am questioning whether another $1000 board will really help with reducing the beating you get going upwind. I used to use a Wainman Magnum which was great on the wave but, terrible for plowing through the slop on the way back up. I have a 5-10 Skillet now which is better but curious if a 5-0 board is going to help.

kt

Johnb

Since 02 Aug 2010
494 Posts

Obsessed

PostThu Mar 09, 17 3:58 pm     Reply with quote

I ride my vanguard at the coast in a variety of conditions to include winter southernly sessions.

I mostly do downwinders so can't really comment on the upwind ability but I don't think it's bad. It seems to handle the chop fine.

Occupied Columbia

Since 12 Nov 2011
376 Posts
Columbia City
Obsessed

PostFri Mar 10, 17 7:15 am     Reply with quote

I'm often impressed how johnb rides his surfboard through winter storms. I didn't know what it was. He goes through stuff that I thought would've put my board in my face. I mostly ride Twin tip.
I have very little surfboard experience but I have put faceprints in my rusty.

A_Ron

Since 19 Mar 2009
29 Posts
PDX

PostFri Mar 10, 17 8:19 pm     Reply with quote

I ride my 5'2" vanguard on the north OR coast, mostly Manzanita and some Ft. Sevens, in waves a few feet over head high on down. The shape does have a smooth, slippery feel to it that goes up wind better than all but the fattest boards. More so than other more traditional surfboards I've owned (Slingshot Tyrant, JL shack). The better up wind ability makes for more wave rides, and the smooth ride makes it easier to stay on top in bumpy conditions, such as at Manzo. Its not magic, though. I've set mine up FCS thruster, but quad might go upwind even better.

I do find I have to change my riding style for the Vanguard. The going upwind the stance is centered, with the front foot so far forward it looks like it might pearl, and the back foot at the front of the tail pad. In this stance the board is very stable, but slow turning. To slash waves, move your back foot waaay back, so that it is touching the kick tail. The tail pad should be installed so it almost touches the leash hole. WMFG make a very nice and light full pad set that fits the Vanguard well, if you aren't into wax. The package (board, fins, pad) price is painfully high though...

macgruber

Since 06 Dec 2011
490 Posts
SE PDX volcano
Obsessed

PostFri Mar 10, 17 8:33 pm     Reply with quote

Windance has a 5'6" with a couple good repairs for $450 in their used section

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Mar 10, 17 8:35 pm     Reply with quote

Before you get a Vanguard you might think about the Vader for the coast
handles chop, goes upwind and turns vertical by just thinking about it
If you have ever snowskied, the Vanguard is like a GS ski and the Vader is like a slalom ski. Depends on which feeling you prefer.
just sayin' you might want to demo one

kt

Since 16 Mar 2005
759 Posts
Portland, Or
Opinionated

PostMon Mar 13, 17 4:47 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. I have tried a Vanguard but, it was down in Peru on some nice smooth waves. I was more curious about how it would handle our less than ideal conditions up here.

Regarding the Vader, I thought it was for larger down the line waves and the Vanguard was geared more towards smaller less gutsy waves. Maybe an Evo, which is right in between?

kt

Peru-Wave-Vanguard.jpeg 

Wombat

Since 16 Aug 2015
2 Posts

PostWed Mar 15, 17 7:23 pm    Anybody ride the Evos yet? Reply with quote

Anybody have info on the Tomo Evos?? Anybody bought and rode a Evo or Vanguard at 6foot length? I am 210 lbs and would like to surf it without kite and kitesurf it.... Thinking maybe their newer stronger standard surfboard construction might be okay to kite on...

bwd

Since 04 Aug 2007
385 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Mar 15, 17 7:38 pm     Reply with quote

Evo like most of the newer models is available in "lft" build
Which has the reputation of breaking. Especially if you kite it.
For your weight I would consider it semi disposable unless you add layer of 6oz glass or more all the way around it (and maybe more on deck) plus a pad).
If you get a good job done on beefing it up it will prob add about 1-1.5lbs.

kieran

Since 06 Jul 2011
45 Posts

PostThu Mar 16, 17 1:55 pm    Re: Anybody ride the Evos yet? Reply with quote

Wombat wrote:
Anybody have info on the Tomo Evos?? Anybody bought and rode a Evo or Vanguard at 6foot length? I am 210 lbs and would like to surf it without kite and kitesurf it.... Thinking maybe their newer stronger standard surfboard construction might be okay to kite on...

I'm about your size and I've ridden all the Firewire/Tomo technologies. If you buy it in LFT you will have to reinforce the board to have any hope of it surviving more than a couple sessions. Vector Net works well, but I'd suggest buying a different shape in FST or Timbertek.

Matt V

Since 26 Oct 2014
462 Posts
Summer- OR Coast, Winter - My van near good snow
Explosive Diarrhea

PostFri Mar 17, 17 5:05 am     Reply with quote

Heavy weights that keep trying to use light weight boards keep the shapers in business.

A heavily constructed board used by a heavy rider will weight the same proportionally to their body weight as a light weight board will weigh proportionally to a light weight rider.

I gave up on lightweight boards years ago. Too many broken boards, too much trying to figure out how the replacement boards ride. But that is cool if you like to keep using new boards.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: