Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Advice on traveling to Hawaii w/ kites
Page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Baygullbites

Since 15 Aug 2016
18 Posts
Hood river

PostTue Feb 28, 17 8:23 am    Advice on traveling to Hawaii w/ kites Reply with quote

I will be in Maui for a month this summer, flying via United.

Does anyone have experience checking bags with them?

I am also curious about budget friendly options on the island to store kites, I am intending to camp and am wondering how safe it is to keep kite gear in a car and if anyone knows of anyone that offers "storage" where I could still camp but keep my gear in a safe location.

Any help is much appreciated! Thank you!

Pete

Since 29 Oct 2007
829 Posts

Opinionated

PostTue Feb 28, 17 8:41 am    United Reply with quote

Yes, I do. They will rape and fleece you for whatever they can get out of you. Be sure you are familiar with their policies, print them out and bring them with you. Don't count on the attendants to know the rules, or to apply them appropriately.

Be prepared to share your campground with transients and homeless people. There were plenty of them camping out at the campground by kite beach when I was there last summer. Not sure about any storage, but keep an eye on your shit.

kwalshpc

Since 24 Oct 2014
142 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Feb 28, 17 2:12 pm     Reply with quote

I'll chime in.
I have been to Maui a bunch. Camping on the beach is a bit dicey - as pete mentioned, a lot of homeless hanging out there. You might take some camping gear and judge if it is worth it. There are places to rent - you can see these on Craigslist - but be cautious - I have heard stories of people getting ripped off

On the car rental I have used both Maui Cruisers and Manaloha - both were good for renting a "local" car ( ie an old POS). If you are there for a month, you can get a good deal from either and have a better shot at blending in. I have kept my gear in the trunk of these cars and have not had theft issues.

On united - I have flown them quite a bit - going out and checking the bags with the skycap has worked for me. No fees. Coming back is a different story, the gate agents in Maui are hyper aware of kiting - if you are carrying boards, you probably pay the 150 coming home.

I hope that helps!

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1470 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostTue Feb 28, 17 2:24 pm     Reply with quote

Do yo have a plan for where you're camping and spoken to someone that's camped there ? The public camp sites are way sketchy.
The camping at Kite beach (Kanaha) is not safe.
It was closed last time I was there in November as they could not control
the homeless population and there was a murder/stabbing that took place in the parking lot.
There's camping on the west side on the beach around Thousand peaks - but I wouldn't feel safe leaving my camping gear unattended.
I've spent over 100 days on Maui. We've never had our car broken into or felt unsafe..... but we've never camped either.
I think the issue wouldn't be your kites in your car, you'll be sleeping within 50 feet of your car..... but leaving your tent and other camping stuff at your campsite when you leave your site.

pollywog

Since 07 Aug 2009
289 Posts

Obsessed

PostTue Feb 28, 17 5:22 pm     Reply with quote

We've camped on Maui several times. Yup, there's a lot of homeless folks camping. We've never had a problem. We're super low key and always keep kite stuff in the trunk and we keep the car as close as possible to us.

Love kanaha beach camping. Let's say, some years are better then others as it depends on how parks & rec decide to operate on a given year. You will be limited on the number of days you can camp there within a month. Call parks and rec cuz their reservation system has been designed to limit homeless folks from camping. It's a pain but I think worth it.

On the Lahaina side, there's camping as well. Doing the month thing, you'll be rotating around because of the limit. There is a religious campground near Lahaina but when we stayed there it sucked. Too many people crammed together. Tons more homeless there then at the parks.

Hana has sweet camping! There's a state park there and it's beautiful.

There's a YMCA campground on the road to Hana. Awesome place. No homeless and super peaceful. Get reservations now for that one if you can.

I totally dig camping in Hawaii in general. You get to experience it so much more then when your resortin' it or staying at a hotel.

I'd do it without hestitation but we're outdoor people and prefer sleeping outside more then inside.

As far as storing kites, we once used a storage facility on Kauai as we hiked the Napoli trail for a few days. We found the storage facility online.

Get your car away from the airport. Much cheaper. We use Maui Vans. They are cool and inexpensive.

Just be smart and you'll enjoy it immensely!

Scriffler

Since 03 Jul 2005
581 Posts
LYLE
Addicted

PostTue Feb 28, 17 8:18 pm     Reply with quote

Ask Jacob B about camping at Kanaha. Probably not the best idea.

1surfer

Since 20 Apr 2010
354 Posts
'Ualapu'e / High Rockies
Obsessed

PostThu Mar 02, 17 5:46 am    Camping Reply with quote

Don't camp at Kanaha and always keep your car where you can see it. If you are keeping gear in your car when you kite, the beach where they teach is the safest, if you get a front row parking spot.

bulae99

Since 12 Jul 2006
1691 Posts

I give out bad advice.

PostMon Mar 13, 17 12:51 pm    Camping on Maui Reply with quote

I've camped at Kanaha and had no problems. I had a tent and just put kites and board inside. Kanaha has a large population of homeless people who call Kanaha home. Contact the http://www.mauimapp.com/information/campingcounty.htm

It's safe but just try to have a light footprint.

One option that is really beautiful is http://ymcacampkeanae.org/#rates

About half way to Hana, this place is just beautiful, but a long drive.

I know that some people rent vans and then park in off the road cane areas. If you are a local and you have a fishing pole you are able to camp and fish. Many people just cast a pole and camp at Baby beach. Stuff and you are safe in your car.

Hostels are a cheap way to go and offer some safety for your gear.

Ron

Scriffler

Since 03 Jul 2005
581 Posts
LYLE
Addicted

PostMon Mar 13, 17 2:59 pm     Reply with quote

Yeah, on second thought you should camp at Kanaha, the homeless are so friendly and accommodating there. It is almost like a club med vibe from the 80's but with crazed drunken aboriginals.

Pete

Since 29 Oct 2007
829 Posts

Opinionated

PostMon Mar 13, 17 3:29 pm    signature Reply with quote

OP, be sure to pay attention to the profile description of bulea99.

alleycat

Since 29 Jun 2006
176 Posts
Portland
Stoked

PostMon Mar 13, 17 9:20 pm     Reply with quote

You are allowed to bring up to two ounces of liquid.... Thiis might not be enough lube, but it is a start!!

Scriffler

Since 03 Jul 2005
581 Posts
LYLE
Addicted

PostMon Mar 13, 17 10:22 pm     Reply with quote

Or just smuggle a few grams of ice and make friends with all your new camping friends at Kanaha.:)

DROCK999

Since 31 May 2007
852 Posts
Left Coast
Opinionated

PostTue Mar 14, 17 3:50 pm     Reply with quote

The county shut down the campground at kanaha because of the homeless problem and so many people getting robbed. Don't know any other camping areas on the northshore.

Scriffler

Since 03 Jul 2005
581 Posts
LYLE
Addicted

PostWed Mar 15, 17 10:31 am     Reply with quote

I don't know, this local bula or whatever said just leave your stuff in a tent, it will be safe. I would just trust the locals, they live in Hawaii. It is so nice there no one ever even thinks about stealing. Just rock up and leave your stuff anywhere, it will be fine.

Baygullbites

Since 15 Aug 2016
18 Posts
Hood river

PostFri Mar 17, 17 12:34 pm    many thanks Reply with quote

I appreciate all the tips and considerations! Great input for trip planning.

Scriffler

Since 03 Jul 2005
581 Posts
LYLE
Addicted

PostFri Mar 17, 17 1:00 pm     Reply with quote

Say hi to bulae, he is the heaviest local of kite beach and can camp there no prob. Maybe he can show you the best campsite:)

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostFri Mar 17, 17 2:49 pm     Reply with quote

Scriffler wrote:
Say hi to bulae, he is the heaviest local of kite beach and can camp there no prob. Maybe he can show you the best campsite:)

Pete wrote:

OP, be sure to pay attention to the profile description of bulea99.

OKAY.... I know there's some history here....... but geeeeeze bulae doesn't even live here anymore... Can't we just move on???

It seems to me that both bulae and pollywog had positive camping experiences. Sounds like many others did not.

I'm sure the OP can form their own opinion regarding risk/reward based upon all the posts without personal attacks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: