Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Waterfi Issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
skideeppow

Since 26 Aug 2011
518 Posts

Addicted

PostThu Feb 09, 17 11:15 am    Waterfi Issues Reply with quote

Everytime i ride with this in the salt water, the unit shits the bed. It wont charge and the headphones wont connect.

I tried using white vinegar to clean the connects with no luck.

Anyone have any suggestions.

chrissmack

Since 08 Jun 2005
515 Posts
portland
Addicted

PostThu Feb 09, 17 4:29 pm     Reply with quote

when i bought nice music players for kiting, i would take a Q tip and jam it into the headphone jack and scrub the innards. then take a qtip with a tiny bit of dielectric grease and scrub it again. (the grease insulates, was mostly just trying to clean the contacts). then take dry q tip again. would increase the lifespan. but they ALWAYS would craP out.

now i just buy cheap waterproof players. current one was $35 on amazon. still going strong. headphones for $6 on amazon.

if they sink to the briny deep, i'm out $41

registered

Since 12 Jul 2005
1319 Posts
tsunami
Sandbagger

PostFri Feb 10, 17 7:50 pm     Reply with quote

I went to waterproof bluetooth speaker in protective bag and separate protective bag for my phone in my wetsuit. The many swimming mp3 players i owned all blew when wave pressure got to them. the new two device option worked well. With a new speaker I could probably talk on the phone through it aka work while kiting waves hmmmm......

All I do now is work Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused Confused

Definitely had some frustrating moments getting shorted out tune player to play tunes while trolling in waves.

bigjohn

Since 13 Mar 2012
663 Posts

Addicted

PostSat Feb 11, 17 11:29 am     Reply with quote

I've had pretty good luck with these bluetooth headphones:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BW5F1ZA/ref=cm_cr_ryp_prd_ttl_sol_0

When you go in the drink they cut out, but usually connect up again when back on your board.

I can answer phone calls on the water up to about 20 mph winds. After that there's too much background noise and I need to go to shore to deal with calls.

Sound quality is not as good as a cable and there can be battery life issues when listening to music (runtime is considerably longer when only using for phone standby).

I just buy a cheap waterproof phone on ebay and transfer my calls to it. I keep the phone in a waterproof pack around my neck, but be aware that those packs always start to leak over time. I wouldn't put an expensive phone in one and expect it to last.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: