Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Foiling Bar Pressure

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Slappysan

Since 13 Jun 2012
309 Posts

Obsessed

PostMon Oct 26, 15 1:00 pm    Foiling Bar Pressure Reply with quote

I only foil casually when not windy enough to ride SB/TT and I use a LF foil and keep the speeds under 20 knots. I use a LF Solo, Blade Trigger, or OR Prodigy. I have shoulders issues that require low bar pressure.

I'm finding that when hauling upwind on the foil is makes the bar pressure too high. I can ride these same kites with the SB/TT for 5 hours without bar pressure being an issue, but when hauling upwind for a couple minutes on a good reach it starts to get too much for me.

A big part of the issue is that foiling almost requires you ride one handed so that right there forces twice the load on the one arm. It does also seem to require much more pressure to beat upwind at 45% than kiting around at 15% on the TT or 25% on the SB.

Is this due to my kite selection? Do the race kites suffer this same issue? Anyone have any tips to reduce the problem?

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostMon Oct 26, 15 9:09 pm     Reply with quote

Been kinda pondering some similar thoughts.

I fly the Liquid Force Solo kites as my main personal kite, and very much love the reliability and broad windrange that they offer, especially with the increased upper end range and speed of the new 2016 model.

As my foiling skills have increased, I have felt at times (mostly when going upwind, or when a bit overpowered) the need for possibly a faster/higher aspect kite. The feeling I experience is similar to yours in that the bar pressure increases, while the kite seems to hold back a bit in regards to speed.

I have tried some higher aspect kites with the foils, and in a straight line, they feel slippery-er and lighter, but when I go downwind or turn downwind during transitions, I feel that the kites become very unresponsive and when crashed into the water, have a greater amount of difficulty relaunching (partially due to the wind being lighter than normal for that specific size of kite).

So far, my experiences have been a bit mixed. Tons of security and reliability with the Med Aspect kites (aka Solo, Lithium or Envy) especially with jumping the foils, but as my skills progress, feel a desire to play around with some higher aspect kites (ie - VarialX, Vantage or VXR Kites)to chase some speed. The main thing holding me back is the lack of comfort flying a different kite, when my boards skills still need so much more training, and not to mention the potential for swimming time if I cannot get the higher aspect kites back up in the air.

Kinda curious if anyone else has dabbled or been pondering the higher aspect kite idea.

www.Purestokesports.com

wylieflyote

Since 30 Jun 2006
1638 Posts
Puget Sound & Wa. Coast
XTreme Poster

PostTue Oct 27, 15 6:13 am     Reply with quote

Pepi wrote:

Kinda curious if anyone else has dabbled or been pondering the higher aspect kite idea.

Maybe the few folks in Bellingham and Seattle who've switched to higher aspect will chime in. I think they call themselves "The Swim Team"

And of course... at Crissy higher aspect almost is all you'll see. At a dinner in April at the St Francis Yacht Club the committee was actually considering no more pump-ups in 2016. Not sure where that went, but for certain they were in a different class many minutes behind the HA.

sfbomber

Since 27 Jun 2012
112 Posts

Stoked

PostTue Oct 27, 15 1:09 pm     Reply with quote

My experience with bar pressure is:
A) you are oversheeted
B) bar is too small
In my experience with a hydrofoil, you can sheet in (with cleat/depower strap) more compared to a conventional board.
With a hydrofoil, the apparent wind of the kite is faster, so the kite needs a lower angle of attack than with a conventional board. Let 'er breathe.
The other tip, I would add is to drop 1 or 2 kite sizes from what you are currently riding. 7M/8M are my kite sizes of choice with a hydrofoil (where I'd be on a 12M with a twintip, and a 9M with a surfboard).
If choosing a new kite, a high aspect kite would be my vote.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: