Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Vietnam

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
kimkiteboard

Since 23 Jan 2006
19 Posts

PostWed Jan 31, 07 10:39 pm    Vietnam Reply with quote

Hello,
I am planning a trip to Vietnam and have a few questions.

Does anyone know what type of outlets they have?
Have people taken anti-malaria pills in the area of Mui Ne?
What quivers have people taken in the past? I'm a lite weight and conserned I will be sitting on the beach a lot - Do I need a 5 m?

I appreciate any help!!
Thanks!!
Kim

bamboo

Since 24 Jun 2005
165 Posts
da 'chung; taiwan
Stoked

PostThu Feb 01, 07 10:35 am     Reply with quote

i was just there for a month and it was awesome. the winds were solid and are still cranking.

hit me up with your e-mail and i can send you a bunch of beta and what the scene is like, what size kites, where to eat, pills, etc.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6549 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostThu Feb 01, 07 11:23 am     Reply with quote

bamboo - how about posting all the info here. Very Happy

kimkiteboard

Since 23 Jan 2006
19 Posts

PostThu Feb 01, 07 11:03 pm    Thanks! Reply with quote

Hello,
I would appreciate any information you have. There's so much to the trip, shots, what kites to bring, outlets, ect. We don't want it to turn into a brazil.
Thanks!
kimkiteboard@hotmail.com

bamboo

Since 24 Jun 2005
165 Posts
da 'chung; taiwan
Stoked

PostFri Feb 02, 07 2:08 am     Reply with quote

it's all gonna depend on when you go....

shots are not likely needed. except maybe japanese encephalitis, you should always protect against that shit. it's nasty! malaria is not likely on the coast. if you plan on hitting hue or hoi an then maybe, but again it all depends on what time your there. the northern part of the country is definitely better than the south. especially sapa and hanoi. but mui nei is epic for winds and the place to be if you wanna kite.

hit...mui nie proper, turtle island for flats, khe ga for super flats, the gravyard and the red sand dunes for waves(2-5m shore break), and the white sand dunes for lake butter. all in all you'll need a 7-15m kite and will spend most your time in mui nei bay riding the shore break and the strong ass winds. there's a nice downwinder to the novotel hotel that is a 5-6 buck taxi back. do it at 3pm daily! no later.

i sailed my 9-12m for 3 out of 4 weeks, and i'm 90kilos. 5m is probably too small as most the local kiters are on 7-9m. they weigh 50-60 kilo's. even if it's howling every day you can still get in a couple hours before lunch on something bigger before the afternoon thermal's kick in (around 2pm). and then once they do it's blowing hard until dark.

make sure you hit guava, wax, beach break, and jibe's for night life. especially on a full moon! usd is taken at most places but local dong is best to have. most hotels exchange. there is an atm that is by the swiss village but it runs out of money on the weekends. bring an international drivers liscense and make sure you have plenty of anitbiodics, drugs, etc. there is a hospital in phan thiet that is cheap but it is LOCAL! it is 4 hours to saigon for the serious shit which you'll find out quickly is NOT something you'll want to do when your hurting!

there are some jelly's in the water but no sharks, their all eaten. same with the dogs! rash guards are key against the sun and that's about it. maybe a long sleeve for the super nukin' days and a hoodie for the evening. for the most part though it's just hot and comfy.

enjoy. it's epic! you won't wanna come home.

lastly, learn how to say "thank you", "happy new year", and "cheers" in vietnamese as soon as you get there. it will help. tipping is also optional, but greatly appreciated in the right situations. 10% is more than enough.

kimkiteboard

Since 23 Jan 2006
19 Posts

PostFri Feb 02, 07 10:09 am     Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the valuable information!! Do you know anything about the outlets there? Don't advertise too much, we don't want it to turn into Brazil. Wink

j

Since 08 Nov 2006
94 Posts
Seattle

PostFri Feb 02, 07 2:50 pm     Reply with quote

They are mostly the round 2 prongers like in Europe, but there are a few of the 3 prongs not like the US, I bought a Universal Kit from REI for around $30 and it worked great all over there. Its also 220, so you'll need an adapter to get it down to 110.

Have Fun!!

kimkiteboard

Since 23 Jan 2006
19 Posts

PostFri Feb 02, 07 10:13 pm     Reply with quote

Hey there,
I have heard that there's jelly fish problem in Vietnam and it was suggested I wear lycra to protect myself. Did you have any experience with the jellyfish.

You information is super helpful!
Kim

bamboo

Since 24 Jun 2005
165 Posts
da 'chung; taiwan
Stoked

PostSat Feb 03, 07 3:42 pm     Reply with quote

i wouldn't say there's too much of a jelly problem, at least not enough that you need to fully lycra up. i saw about 5 a day and heard of only one german dude (in a fashionable bannana hammock of course) getting stung. you'll need lycra more for the sun protection than anything else.

but the jelly's that are out there are big...

jelly.JPG 

kimkiteboard

Since 23 Jan 2006
19 Posts

PostSat Feb 03, 07 8:11 pm     Reply with quote

That thing is HUGE! Shocked

bamboo

Since 24 Jun 2005
165 Posts
da 'chung; taiwan
Stoked

PostSun Feb 04, 07 3:57 pm     Reply with quote

kim - i dropped you an e-mail with more dets, check for it.

kimkiteboard

Since 23 Jan 2006
19 Posts

PostSun Feb 04, 07 8:26 pm     Reply with quote

Very Happy We are super STOKED to go!!!!! I love the kiter community, everyone is so helpful! Mike, you got us hooked up. We leave on February 17 for 3 weeks.

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6549 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostSun Feb 04, 07 10:02 pm     Reply with quote

thanks for all the info! sounds like a great place for wind and adventure.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: