Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Event Site to Stevenson - Foil Upwinder and Downwinder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostTue Jul 14, 15 10:46 pm    Event Site to Stevenson - Foil Upwinder and Downwinder Reply with quote

About two weeks ago, Aaron Hyatt and myself took a run up to Viento and back on our foils one evening and it occurred to us that it might be totally do-able to make a kitefoil run up to Stevenson and back as well.

Today Mark Barnes and I took off from the Event Site around 1:30 and made a run for it up to Stevenson. As added motivation support and as a possible additional wingman, Matt Wheeler made a downwind run to us from Viento and ran with us up through Viento until just short of the narrows.
It took Mark about 2 1/2 hours and myself about 3 hours to make it up to Stevenson as our upwind travel time. Mark raged up wind on his 9m kite, while although powered when foiling, I struggled a bit on my 6,5m kite in the narrows and getting up through Homevalley with lulls giving me some earned punishment, but overall, I was finding the 6.5 to be a good choice.
At Stevenson we considered our run as good to go and probably enough for the day, as we were both a bit shakey and cold, and Dangler was offering us a ride back to HR. But, after a bit of water, warm sun, a cleaning off of our energy bar rations, plus and a bit of ' go for it' support from Grom and Dangler, we popped the kites back up in the air and headed off downwind to Hood River.
The downwind run was fairly clean for both of us, except for a bit of a double inverted mess I caused myself at the narrows, but with about 15 min of resetting lines and tearing through millfoil, I was back up and chasing down Mark again.
We made it down in under 2 hours. I ran it in about 1 hr 30 min and Mark finished in 1 hr 45min. Not bad for a 7pm finish .

I would say that this was a hella good prep run for us to become ready for the Blowout on our foils. Can't say we are blowing any doors off, but we now know we can do it and at a fair speed and time, with not too many carnage crashes.

So what's next on the long distance suggestions?

foiling to stevenson 7 14 15 3 web.jpg 
   foiling to stevenson 7 14 15 4 web.jpg 
   foiling to stevenson 7 14 15 7 web.jpg 
   foiling to stevenson 7 14 15 8 web.jpg 
   foiling to stevenson 7 14 15 9 web.jpg 

www.Purestokesports.com

Last edited by Pepi on Wed Jul 15, 15 3:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Nak

Since 19 May 2005
4203 Posts
Camas
XTreme Poster

CGKA Member

PostWed Jul 15, 15 5:11 am     Reply with quote

You guys rocked it! That's pretty damn impressive. History has been made...

hilton

Since 15 Aug 2008
789 Posts

Opinionated

PostWed Jul 15, 15 5:42 am     Reply with quote

Impressive indeed!!! I have always thought a race from HR to Viento and back would be a good challenge, but never imagined it was even possible to make it upwind through the funky winds between Viento and Home Valley. I guess the foil boards make the upwind leg almost as fast and fun as the downwind.

Maybe you'll have to try it again this fall in the Easterlies, Stevenson to Viento and back?

kss

Since 24 Apr 2006
613 Posts
pdx
Addicted

PostWed Jul 15, 15 6:43 am     Reply with quote

Thumb's Up Thumb's Up Thumb's Up

jerp

Since 22 Feb 2013
450 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed Jul 15, 15 6:52 am     Reply with quote

Very cool... Must be some kind of record no

ldhr

Since 21 Jul 2009
1473 Posts
Hood River
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jul 15, 15 7:04 am     Reply with quote

Awesome guys!
I've been avoiding foils but I love to tour upriver/downriver so maybe there's one in my future.
Here's a few for you that I've done as downwinders only. They can have clean wind all the way.
Rufus up to Celilo and back (gates of hell around Dechutes river, under Maryhill bridge).
Go upwind from Roosevelt. There's clean air for at least 10 miles to Blaylock Canyon.
Mosier to Hood River bridge and back.
Upwind from 3 mile to Arlington and back (~15 miles each way).

pauls

Since 20 Jun 2005
562 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

PostWed Jul 15, 15 7:10 am     Reply with quote

Impressive! Can anything else point as high as kite/foil combo? Second wind Americas cup team........

stringy

Since 23 Jun 2006
1726 Posts
vancouver
XTreme Poster

PostWed Jul 15, 15 7:43 am     Reply with quote

awesome effort guys!
I'll join ya for the next one once I'm fully healed. would have tried with the sit down, but it doesn't point as high and has less hold down when overpowered.
really cool you guys planned contingencies, prepared and made it round trip.
GPS would have been great to show us where and what sides of the river you used
can't wait!

voy-tech

Since 08 Apr 2014
372 Posts
Seattle
Obsessed

CGKA Member

PostWed Jul 15, 15 7:51 am     Reply with quote

pauls wrote:
Impressive! Can anything else point as high as kite/foil combo? Second wind Americas cup team........

Haha, I'm pretty sure a racing monohull sailboat will point higher (although is much slower), and an America's Cup foiling multihull can probably go higher as well with the mechanical wing for sail.

Yardsale

Since 29 Mar 2005
387 Posts
Portlanastan
Obsessed

PostWed Jul 15, 15 9:35 am     Reply with quote

Glad you guys made it without issues, climbing out with a foil would SUCK! lol ... AWESOME job! I guess the only longer trek in the corridor would be from secret spot. I've done the Stevenson to Doug's downwinder on a surfboard - I think the corner west of Lyle (narrow and shallow) and then section east of HR bridge (no wind often) would be the hardest part upwind on a foil. Very Happy

4Stringer/KipWinger

Since 27 Apr 2005
541 Posts
Hood River
Addicted

PostWed Jul 15, 15 2:27 pm     Reply with quote

I rarely post for a simple thumbs-up, but that's seriously impressive. That said, I've decided to retain my rigid nwkite.com personal policy and not post a reply, so disregard.

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostWed Jul 15, 15 3:17 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for all the support! The narrows was challenging for sure. One minute being over powered the next kite falling from the sky. Sometimes at the sametime! Oh yeah, avoid the channel marker west of Viento as several very angry Ospreys are living there. They repeatedly divebombed me.
~Mark

www.naishkites.com

Pepi

Since 16 Jun 2006
1831 Posts
Pure Stoke Sports
Shop Owner

CGKA Member

PostWed Jul 15, 15 3:42 pm     Reply with quote

Mark wrote:
Thanks for all the support! The narrows was challenging for sure. One minute being over powered the next kite falling from the sky. Sometimes at the sametime! Oh yeah, avoid the channel marker west of Viento as several very angry Ospreys are living there. They repeatedly divebombed me.
~Mark

I think they might have been warning you of the large diameter cable extending out west of the channel marker about 50-70 yards at the surface of the water. Scarey thing to see when mobbing downwind wide on that section of river.

www.Purestokesports.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: