Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Ripped off at Sauvies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
KiteKarl

Since 02 Mar 2005
213 Posts
Stockton, California
Stoked

PostFri Mar 11, 05 6:55 pm    Ripped off at Sauvies Reply with quote

Got my passenger side window smashed in and they took my buddies wallet, keys and some of his kite gear. Shoulda known by the way they were hangin around and spotting on the top of the berm but all it takes is 20 seconds. Just a word to keep an eye out as the season starts out there. Luckily enough they were too stupid to know the value of kites and left em. Rolling Eyes

pacifichigh

PostFri Mar 11, 05 8:43 pm     Reply with quote

Karma is a bitch and they will get theirs! Did you get a session?

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostFri Mar 11, 05 9:36 pm     Reply with quote

That stinks Karl... hey not to add insult to injury but why did you have to leave early? It really picked up just as you took off, pretty wired on my 16m, though the current made staying upwind not so easy. Confused

Dano lost his skimboard, so it was a bittersweet evening for many.

PostFri Mar 11, 05 10:05 pm     Reply with quote

Theft is a big problem up there with kite gear isn't it. Last year at the airport some guy got his window smashed and some stuff nabbed. Man I would love to see some guy stealing kite gear I would beat his ass and hold him for the rest of the gangs punishment . What was the gear so we can keep an eye out. Do you guys put your initials or any sort of marking on you gear to id it ?? I label my board reward ph. # blah blahbut the kites may also be a good idea for these types of scenarios.

PostSat Mar 12, 05 6:25 am     Reply with quote

Yeah I remember the first day I went to SI in the spring a couple years ago, a bunch of cars got broken into. I thought, oh jeez, what kind of launch is this...then I didn't hear of another break in until yours yesterday. With so many kiters there, those crooks are seriously taking their chances. It would be sweet to catch them in the act. Evil or Very Mad

Bummer Dan, now I know why you were way up wind for so long. I can see where that board would be hard to spot in the river.

Hopefully we'll get some more wind today and less lost and stolen gear!

KiteKarl

Since 02 Mar 2005
213 Posts
Stockton, California
Stoked

PostSat Mar 12, 05 7:24 am     Reply with quote

Had to leave early to get Mike back babysitting. They took Mikes bag with his helmet, rashguard, booties, all unmarked stuff they would have no use for. We saw em there and knew they weren't kiters. Maybe it would be good to put some big bubble mirrors on the telephone poles there so you could see over the berm. Maybe get a bunch of Sauvie kiters to pitch in and mount 1 or 2 by the launch. Would be worth discussing with the cops on Sauvie.

PostTue Mar 15, 05 8:45 am     Reply with quote

Karl,
I think we need to do more than put up mirrors. We need to start keeping at least one person on top of the dyke at all times (if possible).
The krooks will get the idea that they are being watched.
The best policy of course is, don't leave anything in your car, and don't bring your new car out there. Also make sure your insurance is going to cover theft from your car. Sometimes you have to make a homeowners claim if something is stolen from your vehicle.

PostTue Mar 15, 05 10:07 am     Reply with quote

dog in car works good too. roll windows 1/2 way down so as not to cook dog. tie dog to steering wheell. used to do this for years when surfing.

upside -- my car never bashed.

downside -- dog would get mad when people scoped out car, and scratch up the interior. but it was a 200K kind of car, so no biggies.

or bring all valuable stuff to beach, loop leash through all the bags and tie dog to that. leave car empty, unlocked with windows rolled down.

just a thought.

KiteKarl

Since 02 Mar 2005
213 Posts
Stockton, California
Stoked

PostTue Mar 15, 05 8:39 pm     Reply with quote

All I got's a cat and she's a pussy. Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: