Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Monster Paint Spray Traction ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Jonpnw

Since 22 Jul 2010
1323 Posts
Pacific Northwest
XTreme Poster

PostSat Aug 24, 13 3:26 pm    Monster Paint Spray Traction ? Reply with quote

For strapless surfboard. Yes/no ? Pros /cons ? Anyone used this product or something similar in lieu of Mrs Palmers Sticky bumps.

Join the Columbia Gorge Water Sports Association. http://gorgewindsurfing.org/

knotwindy

Since 25 Sep 2011
598 Posts

Addicted

PostSat Aug 24, 13 3:44 pm     Reply with quote

it works really well for strapless directional as long as you never want to surf the board. it is too tough on chest skin or wetsuits to paddle surf on but great to kite surf with. goes on easy and even and feels pretty comfortable on the feet with no slippage, imo.

AndyD

Since 17 Mar 2008
53 Posts
Bend, OR

PostSat Aug 24, 13 4:51 pm     Reply with quote

I believe that is what is on my sector (factory finish between pads). It works great and after two seasons its still in good condition. I also just sprayed actual Monster on my Naish Skater, easy on with masking, and so far great traction. I'd recommend it for kiting directionals for sure.

surfer

Since 02 Aug 2012
51 Posts
westport, wa

PostSat Aug 24, 13 5:23 pm     Reply with quote

ok ok Ill give up my secret. Blow torch, base coat wax of any kind or candle wax and a screw driver. drip drip, everywhere, I use the whole bar. then wax it some more with your favorite surf wax. I don't use it for my surfing surf board, it would ruin a suit fast.

windtzu1

Since 02 Aug 2012
25 Posts

PostSat Aug 24, 13 5:50 pm     Reply with quote

I started with wax on my Airush Cypher, then moved on to Monster Paint - wanted an alternative to messy wax and wax maintenance. The non-skid Monster paint was fine with booties but in my opinion was "just ok" barefoot, especially when riding aggressively or in chop. Later I added multiple coats thinking it just needed just additional traction but it just didn't provide the firmer traction of wax. Eventually I tried a non-skid surf pad up front (a traction surf pad was stock in the rear). It firmly attached over the existing non-skid Monster paint...Ahhh, just right. It is the perfect combination of traction and comfort. Compared to the Monster paint, it feels like riding with the security of footstraps.

I want to objective. There's nothing wrong with the Monster Paint Traction per se'. It does it's job, it's just that I feel that either wax or a non skid pad is a step up when riding barefoot in terms of grip. If you're riding with booties then all is equal, and the Monster Paint is as good as any.

boardrider

Since 05 Apr 2006
1034 Posts
Ventura, CA
XTreme Poster

PostSat Aug 24, 13 6:24 pm     Reply with quote

surfer wrote:
ok ok Ill give up my secret. Blow torch, base coat wax of any kind or candle wax and a screw driver. drip drip, everywhere, I use the whole bar. then wax it some more with your favorite surf wax. I don't use it for my surfing surf board, it would ruin a suit fast.

Great idea .. Have you tried it, and know it would ruin your suit, or are you just speculating ?

surfer

Since 02 Aug 2012
51 Posts
westport, wa

PostSat Aug 24, 13 6:28 pm     Reply with quote

I drag my knees and put holes in my suits with just a norm wax job.

boardrider

Since 05 Apr 2006
1034 Posts
Ventura, CA
XTreme Poster

PostSat Aug 24, 13 6:30 pm     Reply with quote

surfer wrote:
I drag my knees and put holes in my suits with just a norm wax job.

Yeah - me too ..

skent

Since 08 Aug 2011
170 Posts
North Bend, WA & Lyle, WA
Stoked

PostMon Jul 06, 15 8:43 pm    Monster Paint Traction Reply with quote

So is Monster Paint Traction "tacky/sticky" like wax or is it "grippy" like a deck pad (minus the cushion)? Will sand and stuff stick to it?

I'm trying to decide whether I want to go with wax or deck pad or Monster Paint Traction on my new Firewire Vader. I like the grip and tackiness of wax but don't like the mess.

Can I still put a deck/traction pad on over the Monster Paint if I don't like it?

CGKA Member

royce

Since 16 Apr 2013
49 Posts

PostMon Jul 06, 15 11:27 pm     Reply with quote

not tacky like wax. its like sand paper or skateboard deck to the touch and is very easy to clean. I've used it for probably close to a year and love it. wear a respirator.

SalmonSlayer

Since 27 Nov 2005
648 Posts

Addicted

CGKA Member

PostTue Jul 07, 15 6:20 am     Reply with quote

royce wrote:
not tacky like wax. its like sand paper or skateboard deck to the touch and is very easy to clean. I've used it for probably close to a year and love it. wear a respirator.

I am happy with it as well. I was mostly motivated by trying to avoid managing wax on my board and keeping it out of my car and garage. Clean and effective.

When applying it, more is not necessarily better. No respirator = huffing.

unbob

Since 31 Aug 2008
260 Posts
'da Gorge/LaV
Obsessed

PostTue Jul 07, 15 8:44 pm     Reply with quote

NSI Clear Grip
Good grip but not abrasive like sandpaper. Love the stuff!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: