Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Anyone kited Cocoa Beach?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
beej

Since 16 Jul 2010
180 Posts

Stoked

PostWed May 01, 13 11:03 am    Anyone kited Cocoa Beach? Reply with quote

I'm in Orlando all next week for a conference, and want to drive to the ocean to get some kiting in.

I hear good things about Manatee Park. Anyone have any intel on it?

Also, any resources for forecasting there?

Thanks!

Windance Crew

Since 18 Apr 2008
473 Posts
Hood River Kite Shop
Obsessed

PostWed May 01, 13 11:10 am     Reply with quote

I was there a month ago and did an 11 mile downwinder in the Daytona area, same winds. Light 12-14m2 but decent chest high swell. Lot's of fish and some with sharp teeth. Talk to Steve at Sandy Point.

BigR

Since 05 Jul 2005
372 Posts
White Salmon
Obsessed

PostWed May 01, 13 12:01 pm     Reply with quote

The one time I kitesurfed in that banana river area was in 1999 just after Hurricane Floyd passed thru. Me and Tom James launched out of Kelly Park on the other side of
the banana river. We didn't get far, not enough wind.
I really REALLY MUCH prefer Jetty Park which is a few miles East on the actual coast. It has a huge beach, and you can even camp there!

Blazeheliski

Since 30 Mar 2011
655 Posts
Mosier
Addicted

PostWed May 01, 13 2:18 pm     Reply with quote

It is one of my favorite places to kite. The Banana River has miles of butter smooth water ranging from a few inches to a few feet deep (except in the channel. There are parks on both sides of the river - so you can kite in any wind direction. Just a half mile to the east and you have miles and miles of easy ocean kiting. All you need is some wind. Winds are generally light. Take big kites. Their season is almost done. wind shuts down in June unless there is a hurricane coming. Talk to the guys at 321 kiteboarding right in Cocoa Beach. They will get you set up with locations, forecasts, and rentals of SUPs, kayaks etc.

http://www.321kiteboarding.com/

beej

Since 16 Jul 2010
180 Posts

Stoked

PostWed May 01, 13 8:33 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks guys!

Blazeheliski

Since 30 Mar 2011
655 Posts
Mosier
Addicted

PostThu May 02, 13 6:20 am     Reply with quote

If the wind is a bit East - Manatee park is the ticket. If the wind is a bit west - then Kelly Park on the other side of the river is the way to go. Or hit the ocean. I kited 6 hours straight at Manatee park one day because the water was so smooth it was almost effortless. Watch out for manatees - they are slow and will not always get out of the way in time. Take booties - the muddy bottom in the middle of the river is just a carpet of sting rays - shuffle your feet when you walk. The launch at Manatee Park is kind of holey from the plam trees - like at the event site in HR (minus the plam trees). Pay attention launching and landing. I still have scars on my shin from not paying attention on my landing and got lofted onto the one piece of coral in the river - lol.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: