Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

Moving to Cathlamet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
Kelpy

Since 03 Oct 2010
8 Posts

Kook

PostWed May 01, 13 10:54 am    Moving to Cathlamet Reply with quote

So I am moving to SW Washington for summer work this year. I'm excited to be back in a kiting location after being stranded in Idaho the last few years. It looks like Jones beach will be my closest launch.

Just a couple of questions. What wind speeds can I expect from the Jones beach area? I'm a one kite quiver person at the moment. I have an 11.5 kahoona, weigh 180 and have one board. If I was to get another size of kite what would you recommend for this area?

Also wondering, are there any areas on the WA side of the channel to launch from? or is it necessary to just take the ferry across? On some maps it looks like the NW corner of the island my have a sandy beach to launch from.

Any advice would be much appreciated by this beginner! Thanks, Ken

Sasquatch

Since 09 Mar 2005
2053 Posts
PNW
Bigfoot

PostWed May 01, 13 11:04 am     Reply with quote

Jones is usually high teens to low 20s w/higher gusts.

Rooster is usually 7m 9m ale kite and right in your backyard is Kalama-Rama and exit 22 at woodland and or downwinder from Kalama to woodland. Bigger kites like 12-14m. Pm Dern on this website. He knows kalama.

Weaz

Since 23 May 2012
360 Posts
Beaverton
Obsessed

PostWed May 01, 13 11:56 am     Reply with quote

Last year at Jones the majority of sessions I had was on my 13m SS Key HD, other kites were 12-14m range depending on the kite and the day. Your 11.5 may get you the most wind there, or slightly under powered.

Of course there were days of 7-8m wind and still quite a few 10m days.

I haven't explored the WA side much, but the wind does get fluky upriver from the bridge, we've tried to make it up there, but the angle of the wind is off.

Usually when Jones blows it's a straight west wind. If I'm looking at the map right it would be a direct onshore wind at that point. You could also have fluky wind with the other island directly west, and that is a narrow point in the shipping channel. You may have some luck there with a NW wind though.

I'm actually going to try to kite out of Vista Park in Skamokawa (not that far from Cathlamet) this memorial day weekend. Would be a better place for westerly wind... I'll let you know how it goes, or PM me if yah want to meet up.

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostWed May 01, 13 12:31 pm     Reply with quote

I have seen a few people launch at about the 2 oclock direction on the washington side if you are standing at jones where most people drive out. There is a sandy beach and people launch over there and tack up river. That would save a drive to the oregon side!!

Weaz

Since 23 May 2012
360 Posts
Beaverton
Obsessed

PostWed May 01, 13 12:32 pm     Reply with quote

also depending on ferry times, it would probably be faster to drive back to Longview, hop over to Oregon and then drive back to Clatskanie/jones beach. Google maps has it as only as 5 minutes longer. 45 mins with the ferry and 50 minutes hopping through Longview.

Kelpy

Since 03 Oct 2010
8 Posts

Kook

PostWed May 01, 13 1:29 pm     Reply with quote

Thanks for the info fellas. That gives me a pretty good start on places to look. Weaz I will will pm you just before memorial weekend as i will be moved over and settled in/working by then.

Getting excited, now add some wind and it could be an epic summer!

Blazeheliski

Since 30 Mar 2011
655 Posts
Mosier
Addicted

PostWed May 01, 13 2:06 pm     Reply with quote

You should make friends with the people at The Villa at Little Cape Horn. It looks like a bed and breakfast right in front of the beach that you could launch off of on the Washington side. It is exactly across from the normal Jones launch and would already be on the windy side.

Or get a small boat and launch on the Washington side and ferry your gear to the area called "the ponds" on the island. Everyone works their way to "the ponds" from the Jones side anyway.

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=46.152772,-123.292308&spn=0.002107,0.005284&t=h&z=18

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=46.151654,-123.316877&spn=0.008428,0.021136&t=h&z=16

Dern

Since 11 Jul 2010
544 Posts
Vancouver, WA
Addicted

PostWed May 01, 13 6:16 pm     Reply with quote

You are also less than 1.5 hours away from the coast / Warrenton area. While learning in the surf is not the most friendly place to learn, you have a kite sized fairly appropriate for the Fort Stevens area, and once you are able to ride out there it is a really fun spot to ride.

If you had a kayak or some sort of way to get across the river that would make Jones Beach a much more approachable option. It does look like there might be some beach launch areas on the island (Puget Island) on the south side off of E. Sunny Sands Rd, facing Jones Beach but there are a few factors that aren't working in your favor there:

A) While I can't say nobody has launched there, I don't know anyone who has, so you'd probably be pioneering that area.
B) If you are a beginner you probably don't want to try self launching and self landing until you have a handle on overall kite skills and riding
C) You would likely have to kite way downwind to join other kiters, and way back upwind after the session to get back to your launch.
D) The southern face of the island is probably in a big wind shadow.

I'm not sure what the Puget Island ferry schedule is, but that of course would be the best option for getting to Jones Beach.

Also there are some spots on the WA side of the coast that may work, but I don't know much about them.

Blazeheliski

Since 30 Mar 2011
655 Posts
Mosier
Addicted

PostWed May 01, 13 7:03 pm     Reply with quote

I tried to launch on that beach once when I lost my board on the Washington side - I ended up self rescuing to the Oregon side. There is a big wind hole there..................

Kelpy

Since 03 Oct 2010
8 Posts

Kook

PostWed May 01, 13 7:20 pm     Reply with quote

Great info Dern and Blaze!

I will scope out the area really well once I get there and I will definitely look at the ocean kite spots too. I learned in Humboldt County CA and have ridden on Clam Beach and Big Lagoon. I also got a session in near Reedsport OR last summer while visiting a friend. I know how to self launch and land (on a wide open beach)so that isn't a problem unless the winds are really gusty in which case I could be in for a bit of trouble. I can get up and ride and do some small jumps and such (often not landing them but once in a while I surprise myself). I can tack back up wind so that isn't an issue either unless the wind gets light at the end of the day. I am new but catch on quick so having others to ride with would do my skills wonders.

Thanks for all the info, it is much appreciated!

Blazeheliski

Since 30 Mar 2011
655 Posts
Mosier
Addicted

PostWed May 01, 13 7:55 pm     Reply with quote

Jones season hasn't really started yet. It is a mostly goes in summer - sometimes earlier. For your first couple of times at Jones - come on over to the normal launch and meet the Jones crew - we can give you all the info we have picked up over the years for the area.........

BeerKite

Since 29 Mar 2011
471 Posts

Obsessed

PostWed May 01, 13 8:12 pm     Reply with quote

I second Blaze's tip.
I ride my 9 almost exclusively at Jones. However, I ride a 9 almost all the time and will usually switch to a surfboard if it lightens up. Your 11.5 will probably be your go to kite for Jones.
The quick and dirty version: OR. has the better launch and is much more user friendly. WA. has WAY better wind but launching is less than ideal. Look forward to seeing yet another Jones'er.
Oh, and Nate from Air Pirates has a lot of new stuff to check out and would probably demo some if you ask.

http://www.air-pirate.com/

Dern

Since 11 Jul 2010
544 Posts
Vancouver, WA
Addicted

PostWed May 01, 13 8:37 pm     Reply with quote

Micah, do you actually use a kite aside from your 9m? I don't think I've ever seen you without it! It's pretty much how I identify you on the water.

pauls

Since 20 Jun 2005
562 Posts
white salmon
Addicted

PostThu May 02, 13 9:22 am     Reply with quote

and search old posts on this forum for Chinook

Justsmile

Since 20 Jul 2009
1523 Posts
Not Portland
XTreme Poster

PostThu May 02, 13 9:26 am     Reply with quote

Chinook is so fun with the right wind. Butter butter butter:-) Scott norby on the forum was the resident expert of that area!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: