Northwest Kiteboarding
Forum | Classifieds | Lost & Found | CGKA | Industry | Sensors | Forecast | Spots | Seattle | Decals | RSS | Facebook

Events | Photos | Search | Register | Profile | Log in to check your messages | Log in 

OT: Paragliding ACRO... Jon's First Tumbles

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast
previous topic :: next topic  
bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostMon Jun 22, 09 5:50 pm    OT: Paragliding ACRO... Jon's First Tumbles Reply with quote

Sweet Lordy...

Just got back from a paragliding manauvers clinic at Lake Berryessa with Eagle Paragliding and Brad Gunnuscio. Learned some serious shit this time around... McTwists, Misty Flips, SAT to Helico, Helico to SAT, and a bunch of other cool transitions. Even got to throw my reserve after getting pitched over my 6907, and ended up flying a 20m Nivuik F-Gravity for the rest of the clinic. What a great wing for learning stuff as it is so passive and easy to recover on.

But the one thing I did not expect to pull on this clinic went down on the last run of four days of towing... TUMBLING!

Enjoy... This link should be coming live in a few moments...

Jon Malmberg
Naish International

http://www.vimeo.com/5281021

pkh

Since 27 Feb 2005
6548 Posts
Couve / Hood
Site Lackey

PostMon Jun 22, 09 6:30 pm     Reply with quote

Dude pretty scary but how come you weren't out here with your boss last weekend? Very Happy

FlyDunes

Since 09 Oct 2007
1034 Posts
Aloha
XTreme Poster

PostMon Jun 22, 09 7:37 pm     Reply with quote

So how did your reserve toss go? No probs?

It sounds like you prefer the Niviuk to your 6907?

bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostTue Jun 23, 09 10:20 am    Vimeo Link FINALLY Active Reply with quote

Hey PKH,

Would have loved to have been in Hood River for the event... But this paragliding clinic was cancelled and moved to the June dates almost two months ago, so I was locked in.

Oh, the link is finally up and working this morning...

http://www.vimeo.com/5281021

Dunes,

I actually like the 6907 better in regards to how it fly's and the overall brake pressure. Problem is that it is a FULL ON ACRO wing and does not exhibit the easiest recovery characteristics in negative spin moves. It is fine for dinking around the ridge, but when you put it into a real full on negative ACRO situation... it becomes a nightmare to control (at least for me with my present reaction times... the wing is just too fast for me right now). The F-Gravity is a great blend of attributes that will go into the most badass of ACRO, albeit with a lot higher brake pressure, but it will also easily get you back to level fight without making you fill your pants.

I am just a babe in the woods in regards to the real deal ACRO, but want to get to a world class level. I think the F-Gravity is the better wing right now to help me rapidly and SAFELY progress. Try one, the are pretty darn impressive.

The reserve throw went fine. Now my second in a real deal situation.

Bams

Last edited by bambam on Tue Jun 23, 09 10:37 am; edited 1 time in total

Gman

Since 11 Feb 2006
4907 Posts
Portland
Unstrapped

PostTue Jun 23, 09 10:27 am     Reply with quote

what are you towing up on?

"infinite tumbles" sounds sorta like the last thing you ever do...

have you considered chess or tow surfing, love ya bammer!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2pBpQolKE

FlyDunes

Since 09 Oct 2007
1034 Posts
Aloha
XTreme Poster

PostTue Jun 23, 09 11:08 am    Re: Vimeo Link FINALLY Active Reply with quote

bambam wrote:
... The F-Gravity is a great blend of attributes that will go into the most badass of ACRO, albeit with a lot higher brake pressure, but it will also easily get you back to level fight without making you fill your pants.

Bams

Lol I almost filled my pants just watching your vid. It looked like you came close to getting gift-wrapped on that one tumble. Slack lines are scary lines. Shocked

That's cool that you're expanding your skills.

Mark

Since 20 Jun 2005
3677 Posts
I need my fix because I'm a
Naishaholic

PostTue Jun 23, 09 11:30 am     Reply with quote

Video goes something like this:
Smile Very Happy Shocked Shocked Very Happy Smile Very Happy Shocked Shocked Very Happy

www.naishkites.com

bambam

Since 15 Mar 2005
760 Posts
Hood River
Photographer

PostTue Jun 23, 09 12:01 pm     Reply with quote

Dunes,

Slack lines are part of the learning process. I just try to make sure my slack line incidents happen in a manauvers clinic over water with the confident voice of my coach in my ear. It really was not that bad, and I caught it just in time. As it was my very first tumble, I was not properly reading and adjusting fast enough to the signs of low energy.

I won't throw a move in the wild until it is registered in my muscle memory and I can stick it.

Mark,

Call Doug, get on the paragliding learning path!

Bams

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Northwest Kiteboarding -> Gorge / Portland / Oregon Coast All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: